Thinning the herd

I'm going through a lot of this prep now. The last 10 years have given me over 200 chemo treatments, many radiation treatments, lots of rods, screws etc. to reinforce bones and prepping for my fourth transplant. I talked with the funeral home coordinator and he said very few men like to take care of this stuff and dealing with funeral before hand including himself.

I have helped other families work on selling shooting equipment after the fact and its not fun. We are hoping this new transplant will work for me but I don't want my family to go through the pain of dealing with sorting everything out. I've always done tons of gunwork, reloading and hunting so have really tried to focus on slimming things down and training my son on what everything is for. He was a collegiate athlete so very busy until he graduated a couple years ago but now trying to get him caught up on the shooting and reloading sports.

When it comes down to it this stuff is just that, stuff. Where it means a lot is what is necessary to keep our 2nd amendment rights in place and have the items available if ever needed to do what our founding fathers intended each household to be able to do. Those are the items I will keep for sure and hopefully my boys will do the same.

That said I have been organizing and slimming down as well. Fortunately our state doesn't have any of those idiotic rules and laws in place. What is here my sons can keep. The biggest problem is to not keep living and practicing some of the same habits. My new 308 and 7mm-08 are calling me into my gunroom right now. Lol

When it comes down to it this stuff is just that, stuff. Where it means a lot is what is necessary to keep our 2nd amendment rights in place and have the items available if ever needed to do what our founding fathers intended each household to be able to do. Those are the items I will keep for sure and hopefully my boys will do the same.
This is the biggie. I've read all the posts here and am disheartened by the lack of interest in 2A from the younger generations. Crying shame is all I can say.

@FireFlyFishing , I wish you, your dad and family peace and comfort in the journey you are all embarking.
The biggest problem you would have is that half of my stuff would get you a one-way trip to prison up there. ;)
Shhhh. Open borders do have their benefits..... 🤫
Where it means a lot is what is necessary to keep our 2nd amendment rights in place and have the items available if ever needed to do what our founding fathers intended each household to be able to do. Those are the items I will keep for sure and hopefully my boys will do the same.
I trained all my kids to shoot and reload. I made sure each one of them understood, the ability to use a firearm effectively will likely be essential in your lifetime. The rioting of 2020 helped them see some of that perspective.

Do your kids a favor and start pairing down prior to health problems Is my recommendation.
This is what I want to spare my heirs from! I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this FireFly!

At 65 I was hoping to have at least another 10 years of relatively good health, this past spring I kind of got the long face from the Doc, so I may not have as long as I had hoped. I had already started paring down my collection before my health took a turn so I have a good start at least. I have been getting tables at the local gun shows for the last couple of years and selling off the surplus. I am getting down to a manageable level as far as guns go but I have tons of reloading stuff that I need to make some kind of plan for. My idea is to consolidate everything gun wise into one safe and keep the stuff I really use and enjoy. I do have some class 3 stuff that I need to make special arrangements for, it's on a trust but the only trustee is my wife who has no interest whatsoever so I'm going to talk to one of the local class 3 dealers and see if they will take care of things for her. I actually enjoy the gun shows and the wheeling and dealing that goes on, what I have to watch is the temptation to bring home more than I left with. I have a couple of guns that have sentimental value and they will go to family members. The only thing I'm having a hard time deciding on is the .375 H&H in my avatar , I have no logical reason to keep it and it will bring a good price but it was the rifle I took on my bucket list hunt to Tanzania. I have a modest collection of specialty pistols that I'll hang on to 'till the bitter end. I have come to realize that the idea of not selling guns is just selfishness on my part and a headache I can easily spare my family!

FireFly, Nimrod, GHG, my heart goes out to you and all others having to deal with some pretty tough issues. Almost a year ago I had a life altering health episode and it really put things into perspective for me. Stuff really is just stuff. I'm only 49 and actually still adding to the herd but as I said earlier, my family all hunts and shoots. I do need to update some paperwork and try to teach them the art of reloading.

So I'm on the other side of the conversation. My dad just got diagnosed with lung and brain cancer, stage 4. He has a mega collection of everything hunting and fishing. I'm going to be busy the next couple of years liquidating most of his stuff, guns or otherwise. It's not something I'm looking forward to as that was his life. However, I just don't need or want all of what's in his collection.
Do your kids a favor and start pairing down prior to health problems Is my recommendation.
Sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. What my parents did because they wanted to downsize they found a really good auction company and they went that route granted you paid a percentage to the auction company but they also got top dollars because they had over 500 people at the auction. That and then everything was taken care of in one day

Reading this post has been an eye opener . My dad being a gun instructor and a hunter safety instructor has a huge collection of guns . It seems he is doing the same and thinning out the guns . He's only 73 but I've gotten over 30 guns from him in the last few years. Outa 5 kids I'm the only one that truly has an interest in them without the desire to just sell them all . It will possibly cause the same thing for me as I've only got 1 daughter and tho she shoots she also has said all my guns will be sold when I pass. Some are just things as some have said but others are a little piece of family history and tell a story.
To everyone going through health issues I wish you the best .
I feel that at some point I'll be thinning the heard also. Hopefully at some point it will be going to some grandkids but that is something only time will tell .

So…moving on. What do you guys recommend? I started a Gun Broker account and working to build some history there to make future sales. I'm also looking to post stuff here as well. Surprisingly, it's not super easy to advertise firearms in MT for FTF sales…at least where I live in liberal Missoula county. My folks live in CO and we all know how Koo Koo that state has gone.

I'm not in a rush per se. And I certainly don't want to give away things.

So…moving on. What do you guys recommend? I started a Gun Broker account and working to build some history there to make future sales. I'm also looking to post stuff here as well. Surprisingly, it's not super easy to advertise firearms in MT for FTF sales…at least where I live in liberal Missoula county. My folks live in CO and we all know how Koo Koo that state has gone.

I'm not in a rush per se. And I certainly don't want to give away things.
Maybe post a few on here in the classifieds ? Especially the older Rems, etc. Hint hint. lol