Thinning the herd.

Thanks a bunch HolyCity73....I am officially banning the wife from reading LRH ! How dare you bring up SELLING GUNS ! Shame on you ! If we all pull together, maybe we can get Len to make a New Rule, No dirty phrases like "sell guns" allowed !
I guess we all reach that point. After my first "expensive" purchase of a heavy barrel tack driver, I realized not all rifles are created equal. After shooting quality rifles, 3 would go out the door and 1 would replace it. All those years of poking fun at friends shooting high dollar firearms ended for me. I still have a few given as gifts, left by family or those holding that special place in my past...but lets face it, there is no such thing as too many guns. Ha !

Five years ago I sold off some of the weapons I could get the most money for to fund my Bridgeport, two lathes, all the needed tooling, measuring tools, and the other must have ancillary equipment needed for a machine shop.

Regrets? Not a moment.

I love my machine shop. I am not in the business. just doing barrels for me, for my stool shooter (aka benchrest) brother, select friends, and lastly I do the barrels for the TX Juniors. This year we sent 18 kids to Camp Perry, all were equipped with barrels donated to the program by Shilen Rifles, chambered in my shop. I have to put in a plug for Shilen for their support to the future of our game - our juniors.

I still have plan to sell off the rest, but keep the 1911 I won at Perry with my name stamped on it as well as the match I won it in, and the M1A with a special S/N and with my grandson's name stamped before heat treat. These will go to my 6 year old grandson. For me I will keep one 22 pistol, a 1911, a M1a, a 300WM, MK12 SPR, a 30-06. All are suppressed.

Yes. We will all go thrugh this. 3 years ago I sold 17 firearms. So many that I just could not shoot all of them in a given year , some I have not shot in 5 years.
Just kept cleaning them and wipeing down every few months. I sold all of these guns and put the money in to a D760 GEN III NIGHT VISON RIFLE SCOPE ON A DEDICATED AR15 16 INCH BARREL GUN , AND A FLIR 64 HAND HELD THERMO DEVICE. What a game changer for me on my hunting , and fun factor . SO , SO much easier to find a hunting freind , farmer or rancher to call up and say " Bob after dinner tonight you want to go coyote hunting for a 1 hour or 2 ? " Bob says sure i will be done eating at 6:15 pm. Never has turned me down.? what a game changer it has made for me !!!!
AS IN THE HARRY POTTERFIELD COMMERICAL OF MIDWEST OUTDOORS " How many firearms does one man need ?" Not very many when your 60 years old.
it is quality over quanity boys and the fun factor . Marty

Last edited:
I never had a large quantity of guns. Even so, I'm thinking of selling the two bolt guns I don't shoot, and turning the funds into one that I really want.

Yes. We will all go thrugh this. 3 years ago I sold 17 firearms. So many that I just could not shoot all of them in a given year , some I have not shot in 5 years.
jJst kept cleaning them and wipeing down every few months. I sold all of these guns and put the money in to a D760 GEN III NIGHT VISON RIFLE SCOPE ON A DEDICATED AR15 16 INCH BARREL GUN , AND A FLIR 64 HAND HELD THERMO DEVICE. What a game changer for me on my hunting , and fun factor . SO , SO much easier to find a hunting freing , farmer or rancher to call up and say " Bob afrer dinner tonight you want to go coyote hunting for a 1 hour or 2 ? " Bob says sure i will be done eating at 6:15 pm. Never has turned me down.? what a game changer it has made for me !!!!
AS IN THE HARRY POTTERFIELD COMMERICAL OF MIDWEST OUTDOORS " How many firearms does one man need ?" Not very many when your 60 years old.
it is quality over quanity boys and the fun factor . Marty
HHey

Hey, it is not matter of need, it is a matter of it being our right to own as many as we want, and, it is none of any one else's business

The two that I miss that I sold are the S&W 1500 Parkerized Varmint in .223 and the NIB (WITH the box!) 788 in .222 Rem. I've looked for a replacement S&W and they just don't seem to be out there. The 788 only bothers me because the buyer cut it up and made an abortion out of it.

I'm there with you guys at 71. I don't have the collection you guys have but, I only shoot 4 of the rifles I own, an Armalite AR10 .308, a 300WM Win Mod 70, Ruger 10/22, and a custom 6.5 CM by PA Precision. I have 8 grandkids which I was saving the other rifles and shotguns for. Well, best plans failed. Only 1 grandson is interested in hunting or shooting. So, I'm getting rid of my extras also. Keeping my first .243 deer rifle which is also my grandson's first deer rifle for his college graduation. The rest are going with reloading dies, brass, etc. Also keeping a couple pistols and one shotgun. I think cleaning out the closets of all the things you no longer use (cars, guns, soveniers, etc) is common as you age. You realize the kids don't appreciate your passion like you did, so you might as well sell, sell, sell and spend the money on your new passions.

Last edited:
The two that I miss that I sold are the S&W 1500 Parkerized Varmint in .223 and the NIB (WITH the box!) 788 in .222 Rem. I've looked for a replacement S&W and they just don't seem to be out there. The 788 only bothers me because the buyer cut it up and made an abortion out of it.
Huh? Cut it up and made an abortion out of it?

I never thought I would sell a firearm, but I'm at that point in life where I have to sell or trade to get something different. The 14-45 Limited, First 870, and 1897 Winchester built in 1902 were kinda hard to loose, but in the end I'm happy to have more "needed" guns around, and that shotgun just didn't fit. I agree that you gotta keep the really sentimental ones. The .300 Savage with the 2 1/2 power Lyman Alaskan isn't going anywhere :)

Kids dont want the stuff. if it is not a new phone or computer no interest. When they do sale the old man's stuff they are just dumb enough to sale it at a garage sale.
Dont ask me how I know this. I stopped AT A 2ND Cousins wife's garage sale 6 months after he pssaed away, kept her from selling a Parker double barrel shot gun that her husband had and kids did not want. taking it out of case and getting ready to put a yellow sticker on it for $25.00........
I about went in my pants right there. 5 more minuites it would have been gone. Marty

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.