Thinning the herd

I said the same thing 10 years ago. I'm 70 now and that 10 years went by in a flash

This I can relate to! When I was workin, time flew by a the pace of a crippled Sloth…..since retiring, I'm aging at a dogs rate! 🤬

In pretty good shape for the shape I'm in…..but at 71, I darn sure know I ain't 60 anymore! ☹️ memtb

One example is I shot my first buck with my uncles rifle. It was an old 1917 sporterized that he had won in a poker game up on a gold camp north of Fairbanks Ak. I'm not sure who in the family ended up with that rifle but I bet they would love to know that

I put hang tags on family heirlooms that shouldn't be sold. Grandpa's deer rifle & shotgun for example.....

Then, you have some that could care less.

When we were just trying to stay ahead of the taxman, I bought my young daughter a like new Browning Lever 22, then put a pretty nice scope on it. Years later she and her husband traded it, or so I was told, for another 22 rifle……with a value of about 20% of her rifle! Some folks have no respect for gifts or their value!

Yep, 30+ years later…..I'm still ****ed!

That's just one of the "gifts that keeps on giving" through a divorce! 🤬 memtb

Last edited:
This is really a hard, gut wrenching, action to thin the herd. Sable, you and your buddy are making a good start by inventorying your collection, BUT, it's only a start. Don't leave the thinning and selling to your spouse or a friend. Start getting rid of your collection and don't just inventory it. Don't leave the work and your indecision for someone else to deal with when you die. Do them a favor and thin the herd, retaining only those you use often. Probably 2-3 rifles and the same number of pistols. Help your wife and friends while you're alive to do it. You make the hard decisions, not stick them with it.

Remember what I said about wives taking a stack of $100 bills at about half of what they are worth to avoid tax / having to explain putting thirty thousand in cash into your account. How many of us have that and more tied up in guns. I have at least five grand in pistols.
This is really a hard, gut wrenching, action to thin the herd. Sable, you and your buddy are making a good start by inventorying your collection, BUT, it's only a start. Don't leave the thinning and selling to your spouse or a friend. Start getting rid of your collection and don't just inventory it. Don't leave the work and your indecision for someone else to deal with when you die. Do them a favor and thin the herd, retaining only those you use often. Probably 2-3 rifles and the same number of pistols. Help your wife and friends while you're alive to do it. You make the hard decisions, not stick them with it.

I can retire in 14 years come next week, if I live that long. My dad passed at 60 and I got all but one gun of his. Not like he had a lot though. I'm in my late 40's now and only one of my sons hunts and shoots. The other has asked to go shooting a few times, but when I say let's go, he backs out. Maybe he'll eventually go and like it. He used to shot BB guns when he was younger.

My wife and I plan on leaving AK when I retire, but she plans on keeping her business here. We will probably split time between here and either SC or FL. I will probably give the boys a few of them and then sell a few before we move. I've bought quite a few the last 3-4 years, but my Nee Years resolution is to not buy any in 2024, finish my 22 ARC build and shoot the ones I have.

I honestly didn't want to waste the space with the entire scripting of our activities. We are both very aware of the necessities.

The goal has always been to eliminate the stress to friends and relatives when confronted with our 'inventory'. You have no idea whatsoever about the volume of stuff two gunsmiths with two successful shops accumulate over their lifetime! Yes we are thinning the herd with immediacy and the intent to sell off everything.

I'm still building so I have no intention of closing up and selling everything off but I will be prepared to do so when the time comes. My buddy has retired (health) so I'm finishing up the remaining projects and selling everything else off.

No worries, we're prepared.

Thanks!

;)

Then, you have some that could care less.

When we were just trying to stay ahead of the taxman, I bought my young daughter a like new Browning Lever 22, then put a pretty nice scope on it. Years later she and her husband traded it, or so I was told, for another 22 rifle……with a value of about 20% of her rifle! Some folks have no respect for gifts or their value!

Yep, 30+ years later…..I'm still ****ed!

That's just one of the "gifts that keeps on giving" through a divorce! 🤬 memtb
My philosophy on giving gifts is once given, you also relinquish control of the gift. Once it's in their hands, they have the right to do whatever with it. You should let it go or it's really not a gift but instead something you can control them with. It's not yours anymore. Hope this helps you let your anger go.

My philosophy on giving gifts is once given, you also relinquish control of the gift. Once it's in their hands, they have the right to do whatever with it. You should let it go or it's really not a gift but instead something you can control them with. It's not yours anymore. Hope this helps you let your anger go.

While this is essentially true, I have built rifles for young people who wanted and needed a rifle but couldn't afford one. My suggestion was always that if they felt that they needed to sell it to get some money, I would buy it back. It would stay with me until they wanted it back. Simple.

:)

While this is essentially true, I have built rifles for young people who wanted and needed a rifle but couldn't afford one. My suggestion was always that if they felt that they needed to sell it to get some money, I would buy it back. It would stay with me until they wanted it back. Simple.

:)
I think you should have just retained the rifle and only lent it to them. This way you would maintain control and it wouldn't be a GIFT.

Opinions vary!
;)
1703446938092.jpeg