Thinning the herd

Varmint Hunter

Sometimes something dramatic has to happen before we rethink our position in life and other important things.

My buddy and I shot together at our club for a number of years before he got seriously ill. In the last year, I'd bring him to the club every week right up until it became impossible. Sadly, he passed away just recently.

My buddy was a life-long shooter/hunter/collector of firearms. He had a number of very fine firearms, some of which were rarely shot and others that are still new-in-the-box. At his wake, I advised his son, who lived out of state, that he needed to immediately address the issue of all the handguns that were in the house with his mother, who was not licensed to possess them. Here in NY, the issue of handgun possession is a complicated matter and confiscation is common.

None of my buddy's family members own or are interested in firearms. Everything will likely be disposed of in some manner. There was plenty of time for my buddy to "thin down the herd" but no one wants to think about that. Many avid shooters probably pass away with large collections and leave their heirs to handle things that they aren't equipped to do.

Now that I've had plenty of time to think about all of this, I've come to recognize that I'm aging out of hunting to the extent that I have done in the past. No more frozen Snow Goose hunts, probably won't be climbing mountains or hiking for miles, not looking to hunt dangerous game, and won't be chasing dogs after elusive game animals. I'll probably always hunt and shoot but I'll be doing things at a more gentleman like pace.

I have also decided to not make the mistake that my buddy did and to not leave a wealth of firearms for my wife to deal with when the Lord calls me. Yup - I have started to "thin the herd". I went into the safe and pulled out several Safe Queens. As much as I loved those guns, I started to sell them. I've been working with the owner of my LGS, whom I've known for 35 years. The logistics of selling and shipping is much easier when you can work with an FFL licensed dealer. Yeah - I'll receive less money in the end but the convenience to have him do all the work/paperwork is worth it to me. I think I'll reduce the number down to just the firearms that I use all the time and let the rest go. No more need for all the heavy magnum rifles.

So for you older LRH members - have you considered "thinning the herd"? When is the right time?

And for anyone wondering - no, I'm not checking out 🤣 I'm just facing the reality of the aging process.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I have often wondered about my suppressors when I die (I didn't do a trust...yet). I have a good LR rifle set up for each of my five kids and have come to realization none of them want to hunt or shoot. I may be needing to thin the heard earlier than I want. I'm not sure when the right time is.

Married my last wife at 52, now at 65 she has two sons, golfers, not hunters, and I have no one to leave my many firearms to, I watched my father and mother pack up everything in their house and move to their last home. It was difficult for them. I am not going to leave a problem for my Wife sons, I too have to get off my *** and thin the herd

Sorry to hear about your friend. I have often wondered about my suppressors when I die (I didn't do a trust...yet). I have a good LR rifle set up for each of my five kids and have come to realization none of them want to hunt or shoot. I may be needing to thin the heard earlier than I want. I'm not sure when the right time is.

I have two mature daughters who have never had an interest in the shooting sports. Neither of their husbands have any interest either. I have 3 grandsons who are 4 & 5 years old. Without my guidance, I can't see any of them developing the passion for shooting, as I have. All the firearms will have to go at some point.

I've worked a lifetime collecting. Mostly magnums. In the last year I've purchased a couple smaller calibers in non magnums. Yes because they are more pleasant to shoot. My son and grandsons love to hunt and shoot. One of my grandsons is a fanatic about it. My current plan is to leave them all my equipment when I check out.

Sometimes something dramatic has to happen before we rethink our position in life and other important things.

My buddy and I shot together at our club for a number of years before he got seriously ill. In the last year, I'd bring him to the club every week right up until it became impossible. Sadly, he passed away just recently.

My buddy was a life-long shooter/hunter/collector of firearms. He had a number of very fine firearms, some of which were rarely shot and others that are still new-in-the-box. At his wake, I advised his son, who lived out of state, that he needed to immediately address the issue of all the handguns that were in the house with his mother, who was not licensed to possess them. Here in NY, the issue of handgun possession is a complicated matter and confiscation is common.

None of my buddy's family members own or are interested in firearms. Everything will likely be disposed of in some manner. There was plenty of time for my buddy to "thin down the herd" but no one wants to think about that. Many avid shooters probably pass away with large collections and leave their heirs to handle things that they aren't equipped to do.

Now that I've had plenty of time to think about all of this, I've come to recognize that I'm aging out of hunting to the extent that I have done in the past. No more frozen Snow Goose hunts, probably won't be climbing mountains or hiking for miles, not looking to hunt dangerous game, and won't be chasing dogs after elusive game animals. I'll probably always hunt and shoot but I'll be doing things at a more gentleman like pace.

I have also decided to not make the mistake that my buddy did and to not leave a wealth of firearms for my wife to deal with when the Lord calls me. Yup - I have started to "thin the herd". I went into the safe and pulled out several Safe Queens. As much as I loved those guns, I started to sell them. I've been working with the owner of my LGS, whom I've known for 35 years. The logistics of selling and shipping is much easier when you can work with an FFL licensed dealer. Yeah - I'll receive less money in the end but the convenience to have him do all the work/paperwork is worth it to me. I think I'll reduce the number down to just the firearms that I use all the time and let the rest go. No more need for all the heavy magnum rifles.

So for you older LRH members - have you considered "thinning the herd"? When is the right time?

And for anyone wondering - no, I'm not checking out 🤣 I'm just facing the reality of the aging process.
I am lucky! I have two sons and grandsons that will get the firearms. The Sons hunt and the Grandsons are learning to hunt and shot. I can remember about my father passing. There wasn't much in the way of firearms and they had already figure out. The small items was the hardest to split up between my brother and I. My Aunt put the items up on a table. The hardest was who was first. Being I am the oldest I told my brother to go first. It work out just fine. The first pick was the hardest, but workout, because we each got what we most wanted on the first round. The funds and land was easy to due. It's just split, between the two of us. We still own his home. The land that my dad and I were involved in I ask my brother to leave it with me and I'll invest it. It turned into a fair sum over the years. What firearms I have they'll split it up. The only problem is I am left handed and they are all right handed. Most of my stocks are set up for a left handed person. and built by me. Here in Montana there isn't any requirement go to a FFL to transfer firearms either.
The best thing is I figure out on how to take my money with me. They are going leave a check in the box with me. That way when I comeback I can cash it.😂🤣😁🙄
The suppressor is in a trust too. So nobody is left out.

This is a somewhat sad topic, that being said I have always known that at some point I will not want to hunt anymore and will likely transitions to fishing here before long, I'll be 60 here in a little over a year.

I am also lucky in that I have a daughter and son-inlaw that both hunt. He has a 10 yr old son that is getting into hunting and they've brought us two new grandson's, 1 1/2 and a little over 1 yr olds. I've already told my son-inlaw that I would like to provide the boys with their first hunting rifles, which will come from my collection. I have already been working on adjusting some of my rifles to be better first rifles for a new hunter.

Again a difficult thing to think about but necessary to have a plan for those firearms that will likely become a cherished item for a loved one rather than on a pawn shop shelf or worse in some states.

I am lucky! I have two sons and grandsons that will get the firearms. The Sons hunt and the Grandsons are learning to hunt and shot. I can remember about my father passing. There wasn't much in the way of firearms and they had already figure out. The small items was the hardest to split up between my brother and I. My Aunt put the items up on a table. The hardest was who was first. Being I am the oldest I told my brother to go first. It work out just fine. The first pick was the hardest, but workout, because we each got what we most wanted on the first round. The funds and land was easy to due. It's just split, between the two of us. We still own his home. The land that my dad and I were involved in I ask my brother to leave it with me and I'll invest it. It turned into a fair sum over the years. What firearms I have they'll split it up. The only problem is I am left handed and they are all right handed. Most of my stocks are set up for a left handed person. and built by me. Here in Montana there isn't any requirement go to a FFL to transfer firearms either.
The best thing is I figure out on how to take my money with me. They are going leave a check in the box with me. That way when I comeback I can cash it.😂🤣😁🙄
The suppressor is in a trust too. So nobody is left out.
What a great brother! What a great example of putting others first. You likely set the tone for everything that followed. What A great story! I have seen so many similar situations go the other way. Families are bitter and no longer talk to each other.

I have two daughters, 18 & 15. I got both of them into shooting with me fairly young (around 8 or 10). Both deer hunt with me and have interest. Will they have the affliction I have for firearms? I doubt it. I'm glad they both like to shoot and hunt. They each have their own rifles now, the 15 year old just got her's on a week ago for her birthday and was smiling ear to ear. Anyway, I created a trust just for my firearms collection. I don't have the exact wording in there memorized but it basically states that they are to split it and each are entitled to half. However, if one drifts off into liberalville or has no interest, the other will get 100% of it. If neither are interested or stay with it, the collection will be appraised by 3rd party and sold off with the two of them splitting the money. I will alter it if needed while I'm around. If I pass and their attitudes change, my executor will need to make the decision if either will get them. I'm not worried that either will "change", just want to be sure if they did, my collection won't just get sold off with no direction. The list is very detailed with all info and values. They also don't know the extent, they just know I've got a more than one that I hunt with ;). I hope both will marry a good man some day that has similar values and interests. Good thread here to get people thinking.

What a great brother! What a great example of putting others first. You likely set the tone for everything that followed. What A great story! I have seen so many similar situations go the other way. Families are bitter and no longer talk to each other.
Got that right, and I have watch family P*ss all the fund down the tub, with attorney fees. Friends of mine, father and mother died. The older two want what they could sell for money. One items they didn't get my friend kept and gave it too a cousin that wanted it. The other two said they could have sold it for money and were mad about it.
I hunted with their father as a young teenager. His boys didn't want to do that. They missed out and I came out on top with the time we hunted together on his ranch. I would help him on his ranch also, and not for money either. The trip each time was well worth it. Over 60yrs ago, and still think about.

Unfortunately, the Government up here will most likely have done away with anything even slightly exotic, before I shrug of my mortal coil so I began to thin the herd awhile back, keeping the antiques, ( pre 1898) and rifles I used in service rifle competition when younger already were moved into the restrictred/prohibited class and needed permits and club memberships to own and transport, they went too.

We have new legislation coming in the new year and a new committee, so who knows what else may be out the door. Oh, well still have the option of selling up and moving south...