Thinning the herd

Sometimes something dramatic has to happen before we rethink our position in life and other important things.

My buddy and I shot together at our club for a number of years before he got seriously ill. In the last year, I'd bring him to the club every week right up until it became impossible. Sadly, he passed away just recently.

My buddy was a life-long shooter/hunter/collector of firearms. He had a number of very fine firearms, some of which were rarely shot and others that are still new-in-the-box. At his wake, I advised his son, who lived out of state, that he needed to immediately address the issue of all the handguns that were in the house with his mother, who was not licensed to possess them. Here in NY, the issue of handgun possession is a complicated matter and confiscation is common.

None of my buddy's family members own or are interested in firearms. Everything will likely be disposed of in some manner. There was plenty of time for my buddy to "thin down the herd" but no one wants to think about that. Many avid shooters probably pass away with large collections and leave their heirs to handle things that they aren't equipped to do.

Now that I've had plenty of time to think about all of this, I've come to recognize that I'm aging out of hunting to the extent that I have done in the past. No more frozen Snow Goose hunts, probably won't be climbing mountains or hiking for miles, not looking to hunt dangerous game, and won't be chasing dogs after elusive game animals. I'll probably always hunt and shoot but I'll be doing things at a more gentleman like pace.

I have also decided to not make the mistake that my buddy did and to not leave a wealth of firearms for my wife to deal with when the Lord calls me. Yup - I have started to "thin the herd". I went into the safe and pulled out several Safe Queens. As much as I loved those guns, I started to sell them. I've been working with the owner of my LGS, whom I've known for 35 years. The logistics of selling and shipping is much easier when you can work with an FFL licensed dealer. Yeah - I'll receive less money in the end but the convenience to have him do all the work/paperwork is worth it to me. I think I'll reduce the number down to just the firearms that I use all the time and let the rest go. No more need for all the heavy magnum rifles.

So for you older LRH members - have you considered "thinning the herd"? When is the right time?

And for anyone wondering - no, I'm not checking out 🤣 I'm just facing the reality of the aging process.
Gone there! Doing That!

I wish my grandfather would have done this. Not with just his guns but the farm equipment and land also. All he had is daughters that moved off to the city after they graduated high school. I'll be lucky if I even get the chance to buy any of it lol. Those girls are nuts. Wish he woulda just just sold out to me a long time ago to keep that ground in the family. I'm the only one that farms or hunts.
Ouch! Yeah hear where your coming from.. We convinced the family to incorporate and tied everything up and it takes the collective to dispose of property and assets, but if you want out then you have to sell to the corporation after assessment and debt apportionment are figured out and each remaining member get an equal share of that portion.

Eventually, the remaining family member or survivors will benfiet.

We found the best Byzantine lawyer that existed to write up the corporation papers....she was worth every dime

Varmint Hunter you brought up something I have thought about for years.I need to get busy trying to do just that!
A lady down south of here had a husband that died all of a sudden so she had all his guns.She started selling them.Problem was he had a few Cans on those guns.You can't sell or give away a gun with a can on it!She tried to do just that and I'm not sure if she is out of trouble yet.
She told someone that hiring an attorney and court costs were way over what the worth of the guns were.
If you have a gun with a can(silencer)talk to an attorney before getting rid of it like she did.

Sometimes something dramatic has to happen before we rethink our position in life and other important things.

My buddy and I shot together at our club for a number of years before he got seriously ill. In the last year, I'd bring him to the club every week right up until it became impossible. Sadly, he passed away just recently.

My buddy was a life-long shooter/hunter/collector of firearms. He had a number of very fine firearms, some of which were rarely shot and others that are still new-in-the-box. At his wake, I advised his son, who lived out of state, that he needed to immediately address the issue of all the handguns that were in the house with his mother, who was not licensed to possess them. Here in NY, the issue of handgun possession is a complicated matter and confiscation is common.

None of my buddy's family members own or are interested in firearms. Everything will likely be disposed of in some manner. There was plenty of time for my buddy to "thin down the herd" but no one wants to think about that. Many avid shooters probably pass away with large collections and leave their heirs to handle things that they aren't equipped to do.

Now that I've had plenty of time to think about all of this, I've come to recognize that I'm aging out of hunting to the extent that I have done in the past. No more frozen Snow Goose hunts, probably won't be climbing mountains or hiking for miles, not looking to hunt dangerous game, and won't be chasing dogs after elusive game animals. I'll probably always hunt and shoot but I'll be doing things at a more gentleman like pace.

I have also decided to not make the mistake that my buddy did and to not leave a wealth of firearms for my wife to deal with when the Lord calls me. Yup - I have started to "thin the herd". I went into the safe and pulled out several Safe Queens. As much as I loved those guns, I started to sell them. I've been working with the owner of my LGS, whom I've known for 35 years. The logistics of selling and shipping is much easier when you can work with an FFL licensed dealer. Yeah - I'll receive less money in the end but the convenience to have him do all the work/paperwork is worth it to me. I think I'll reduce the number down to just the firearms that I use all the time and let the rest go. No more need for all the heavy magnum rifles.

So for you older LRH members - have you considered "thinning the herd"? When is the right time?

And for anyone wondering - no, I'm not checking out 🤣 I'm just facing the reality of the aging process.
I must break the news to you as a fellow NY'r. Have you seen the future workforce?? Pretty good chance your going to live forever to keep paying them 'taxes' cuz the future workforce doesn't exist!!!!

Hard topic to discuss but definately a necessary one. Something we ALL need to think about regardless of age. Tomorrow is never a garauntee for ANY of us. Thankfully, my wife, daughter, and son in law are all hunters and shooters so I have those bases covered. The issue of getting the right paperwork done ie will, trust, whatever is paramount. I'm sorry for your loss Varmint hunter.

WOW what a POST
We have over $100K +++ in new machines and probably $100K +++ in builds sitting next to the machines.
I keep buying components because I want to live forever. If you quit doing what you like-then you are doomed!
I think if this next neck (C sections) operation in the beginning of 2024 doesn't work. We may start selling all our NEW Laser Engraver, Cerakoting, and Custom Chambering equipment. I think that that I would rather just pass away than give up!

WOW what a POST
We have over $100K +++ in new machines and probably $100K +++ in builds sitting next to the machines.
I keep buying components because I want to live forever. If you quit doing what you like-then you are doomed!
I think if this next neck (C sections) operation in the beginning of 2024 doesn't work. We may start selling all our NEW Laser Engraver, Cerakoting, and Custom Chambering equipment. I think that that I would rather just pass away than give up!
Don't give up no matter what happens
We have to fight until there is nothing is left.

When that time comes I will be building bows arrows and knapping arrowheads.😁

This is definitely a reality for many of us. It's not something that is pleasant to contemplate, but it's better to deal with it than put it off until your loved ones have to. There is a point in life when accumulating stuff just doesn't make a great deal of sense. The old saying "he who dies with the most toys wins" may be fun to think about, but is setting your heirs up with a headache.
I currently live in a state where gun ownership and selling firearms is not a problem for the most part. Being involved in reloading really creates complexity. I need to update my inventory of stuff and estimated values for my wife and daughters. Otherwise, they will be lost.
Merry Christmas!

Don't give up no matter what happens
We have to fight until there is nothing is left.

When that time comes I will be building bows arrows and knapping arrowheads.😁
You inspire me
Anyone that can look at our shop would be in AWWW.
We are trying to get a few young me men to be apprentices, but a 16-year-old wants to look for girls.
Yes they are interested BUT then gone with school and activates.
It just sucks when anyone has a severe pain!
Dam the things I would do up until I had a spinal cord operation in my early 60S

You inspire me
Anyone that can look at our shop would be in AWWW.
We are trying to get a few young me men to be apprentices, but a 16-year-old wants to look for girls.
Yes they are interested BUT then gone with school and activates.

Don't give up Len, I was the same way. Then I became a lunatic when I got my head screwed on straight.

Recent Posts