Thinning the herd

I have been on an upgrade path for several years. Several of my old rifles and handguns have either been sold or traded in for something different. I have talked myself out of buying another safe many times. I believe the temptation to fill it up would exacerbate my problem. Realistically I have more than I need at this point.

My father was not into hunting or shooting. He had several handguns that were never shot and a couple received from my Grandfather. He gave them to my sister's boys as he believed I had too many. I really don't attach sentimental value to firearms, but would have loved to have received the German Luger from WWII from my Grandfather. My nephews sold it at a gun show.
Bet they got taken to the cleaners in the sale. Saw a P38 from WW2 with all the markings that was going for over three grand.

Bet they got taken to the cleaners in the sale. Saw a P38 from WW2 with all the markings that was going for over three grand.

Many, as in not too many years after WWII ended, a cousin (which I never met)of my father's, had came home from Germany with 2 Lugers having consecutive serial #'s. He sold one for booze money! 🙀

While I was only in my very early teens when my Dad told me……he didn't have to explain what a "screw-up" his cousin was! ☹️ memtb

I've really enjoyed reading the posts in this thread. Seems like it's a topic that really should be thought about and discussed with those close to you and some kind of plan be put in place ahead of time. I started reading the thread the other day and it made me start thinking about the future. Mainly, will my little guy still be interested in the outdoors and shooting sports as he gets older and want the my gun collection? For now, he always asks to come with me to the range, but he's still a little young... just turned 5 years old in November and I don't think he's quite ready yet. But boy does he love watching the hunting shows on Sportsman's and Outdoor channels. I even walked into my home office this morning only to find him looking through some of my hunting magazines :)
Never to young . Get him a savage rascal. Take him to the range drill the basics. Watch them learn trigger control. There is nothing cooler then ten years later they do everything you taught them it becomes mechanical for them. When take him once he is bored it is time go home. I have 4 grand kids 2 can shoot for hour the other 2 30minutes and they are ready to go. So I pair them in 2s so they can have fun at the range started when they were 5 now they are 6 to 8 years old

I don't attach sentimental value to "things". The things that matter are the relationships with your family and friends. I started taking my wife's second cousin hunting when he was 17. That was 33 years ago. He is very well trained and having a guy along who is 20 years younger is a real help. If you're doing your part to help keep hunting alive, you're taking young hunters out. I have several young guys that I could give my guns to. But, they all have guns as good or better than mine.

I'm a bit of a hoarder. I tell my wife if I die before she does to call and estate company. Quick and easy. Someone will get a good deal on some guns, and that is o.k. with me.

I love what Crazymonkey is doing. I may have to look into that.

Here in Albuquerque, they're doing that silly gun buyback thing. $100 Visa gift card, no questions asked. I'm tempted to get rid of a couple of old single shot H&R shotguns that are worth less than that, but it goes against the grain to see a firearm destroyed by idiots.

I don't attach sentimental value to "things". The things that matter are the relationships with your family and friends. I started taking my wife's second cousin hunting when he was 17. That was 33 years ago. He is very well trained and having a guy along who is 20 years younger is a real help. If you're doing your part to help keep hunting alive, you're taking young hunters out. I have several young guys that I could give my guns to. But, they all have guns as good or better than mine.

I'm a bit of a hoarder. I tell my wife if I die before she does to call and estate company. Quick and easy. Someone will get a good deal on some guns, and that is o.k. with me.

I love what Crazymonkey is doing. I may have to look into that.

Here in Albuquerque, they're doing that silly gun buyback thing. $100 Visa gift card, no questions asked. I'm tempted to get rid of a couple of old single shot H&R shotguns that are worth less than that, but it goes against the grain to see a firearm destroyed by idiots.
I'll have to admit the first year's giveaway gun was just because I needed space in the safe . I had 5 30-06 at the time and figured one needed to go . So I setup the giveaway on a local hunting sight and had 60 entries the first year . The gun was a sporterized 1903 and looked super clean not some hack job . I took it in and had a break installed to take recoil down . That gun kicked my but ! I hadn't shot it before deciding to donate it and it was a fight with scopes ( vortex junk) now admitting the first of 3 scopes was due to misaligned bases but the other were just junk . I spent over a month trying to get it to shoot and finally pulled the scope and put on a leupold and was golden. I did offer the winner his choice of 3 guns tho because I fought the 1903 so much . That 1 gun giveaway turned to 2 guns that year. 1st place took a winchester ranger modle 30-06 and I opted to give the 03 to the second place . It is now something I truly enjoy and have been giving new guns and what ever hunting gear I can get or have donated to the kids. I went from 60 the first year to 160 the second year for entries. I do this in my spare time . So it needs to be something that's simple and easy . I don't get much spare time I'm 7 days a week and average 83 hours a week . If you can do it the smiles and thank you you get from the kids will be all you need.

I'll have to admit the first year's giveaway gun was just because I needed space in the safe . I had 5 30-06 at the time and figured one needed to go . So I setup the giveaway on a local hunting sight and had 60 entries the first year . The gun was a sporterized 1903 and looked super clean not some hack job . I took it in and had a break installed to take recoil down . That gun kicked my but ! I hadn't shot it before deciding to donate it and it was a fight with scopes ( vortex junk) now admitting the first of 3 scopes was due to misaligned bases but the other were just junk . I spent over a month trying to get it to shoot and finally pulled the scope and put on a leupold and was golden. I did offer the winner his choice of 3 guns tho because I fought the 1903 so much . That 1 gun giveaway turned to 2 guns that year. 1st place took a winchester ranger modle 30-06 and I opted to give the 03 to the second place . It is now something I truly enjoy and have been giving new guns and what ever hunting gear I can get or have donated to the kids. I went from 60 the first year to 160 the second year for entries. I do this in my spare time . So it needs to be something that's simple and easy . I don't get much spare time I'm 7 days a week and average 83 hours a week . If you can do it the smiles and thank you you get from the kids will be all you need.
That's a really good thing you are doing. Keep it up.

Whew…cancer. Lame 5000.

My Dad has been in the hospital now for 40 days straight. 3 visits to ICU…where he is staying now. Awful. I'm visiting…again to help my folks through…this tough patch in ICU.

My father is still very cognizant. He keeps apologizing for leaving my mom and I with a lot to sort through. While my wife and I have been working on my parents for the last five years to move closer to me, he wanted to die in his kingdom two states away. I get it…he built his own paradise. Who would want to give that up?

So this goes back to the OP's original thread…word to the wise.

I am in that area as getting old. I am hoping I'll get my reloading shack done this spring and begain to reload again. Never plan for it to take this long. I hadn't planned on the changes that have taken place. The building is built, just need to finish up the insides. At lease my new equipment is done. I keep adding to it all the time, Now only a little here and there.
My sons have both moved north and I am really having a hard time leaving my home where my side of the family has been here from 1910 and some from 1885.
So I kind of understand why your father doesn't want to move.

Last edited: