Thinking of reloading

I never got into reloading to save money........in fact expected to spend a lot from the git go. My goal was accuracy, knowledge, and being able to shoot the bullets I wanted in cartridges that wasn't available in factory ammo at that time. Now I'm very glad I did and enjoy loading my own, bad times now and it could get a lot worse before it gets better with component availability. Don't let it stop you but give it some thought none the less. Good Luck

With ammo hard to find, and with the rebellion upon us, was thinking of getting into reloading. How many 100s or 1,000s of round does it take for the economics of it to make sense?
Best advice I can tell you is unless you shoot a lot every year then don't worry about reloading.

find a friend that does reloading and go over with a case of beer. If you reload and like it then maybe it will be for you other wise reloading is expensive.

With ammo hard to find, and with the rebellion upon us, was thinking of getting into reloading. How many 100s or 1,000s of round does it take for the economics of it to make sense? I got into reloading for my 28 Nosler, 400 rounds made it worth it. I now reload 3006, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor 6.5 prc and 224 Valkyrie but it's not addicting

I load .308 for long range, and my first goal in preicsion cosnistent handloads. Savings - I get a little over three boxes of my reloads for the cost of about two boxes of factory match ammo. That my is cost-per-round savings. However, the investment in the equipment (press, measuirng devices, scales, case prep tools, etc) to load preicison ammo is not factored in. IMHO you will find components hard to find, so use the time to learn about reloading, or more precisely, precison handloading. The myriad of "how to reload" articles will give you all the advice you never wanted to hear@!

Last edited:
Many points here as to reload yes or reload no as this is an inopportune time for beginners to acquire both the tools and components necessary. ( I received an email yesterday , 10 pm'ish notifying that Nosler BT's were back in stock. BUT, I didn't open it till this morning. All sold out by the time I logged on today. ) My opinion is don't let that stop you from reloading/handloading. If you can't get the factory ammo your rifle likes, you can reload the empty cartridges. Conversely , IF you can't get the components necessary to handload/reload what your rifle likes, you can use the factory ammo.

Instead of looking at the cost savings of reloading....you might want to think about the entertainment and enjoyment value you might get from reloading.

I get a lot of enjoyment from reloading and shooting my loads for precision rifles. Of course, on the flip side of it, I get much less enjoyment in loading pistol ammo on my Dillon.....just seems like its more of a production line compared to loading accurate rifle stuff.

If you can resist the urge to constantly upgrade your gear, and are happy with ammo that shoots MOA at 200, AND you shoot expensive ammo, (I just saw 338 Federal on sale for $65.00 per box of 20), then you could make your investment back in less than 1,000 rounds. (That would be $3,250 in ammo).
Buy a single stage press kit, 8lbs of your favorite powder, 1,000 primers, and a set of std. dies.
You can make decent ammo like that.

I never knew reloading saved money? I got into reloading when I started benchrest shooting 40 years ago. I reloaded for accuracy and consistency. At the time I started, my time was worth a lot, so it was better to buy ammo.
This shortage has curtailed my shooting as reloading components are as hard to find as ammo. You will be disappointed if economics are your motivation as many others have stated.

If you can resist the urge to constantly upgrade your gear, and are happy with ammo that shoots MOA at 200, AND you shoot expensive ammo, (I just saw 338 Federal on sale for $65.00 per box of 20), then you could make your investment back in less than 1,000 rounds. (That would be $3,250 in ammo).
Buy a single stage press kit, 8lbs of your favorite powder, 1,000 primers, and a set of std. dies.
You can make decent ammo like that.
The upgrading thing is what costs me the most $$$. Buying, selling, buying, selling. I really want one of the new Area 419 presses, called The ZERO. It's only $1,200. It probably can't do anything my Forster Co-Ax and/or Dillon XL 750 can't do. For me it's a hobby and I love gadgets and trying new things.

It's cheaper than owning a boat, snow machines, and other toys, so I'm actually saving money???

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts