Thinking of getting a Neck Turner.

gohring3006

With Winter coming and knowing there is lots of rain days in my profession I'll have plenty of time to play in my reloading room. I was thinking of adding a neck turner to my equipment.
How many of you actually noticed a difference in accuracy using one for factory chambers?

Neck turning is useful when using FL bushing dies. Size about 1/2 of the neck. Go read Reddings website. All the other BR case prep should be done also.
th_Bushing%20neck%20sizing_zpsdrqj9rw8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Both my heavy barreled savage 116, and my semi custom shilen 30inch barreled 7mag went from .5 in at 100 yds to bughole 3 shot groups, for what its worth I have liked it but it does take some time,

If your clearances and sizing are already excessive, neck turning only contributes further to all that.
Runout won't matter.
Then the only thing left in benefit is neck tension consistency. But here, you could just toss out cases that depart from a chosen neck thickness.

I turn everything, but the closest to factory chamber I use is a Cooper(relatively tight). Otherwise, I would not turn.

With Winter coming and knowing there is lots of rain days in my profession I'll have plenty of time to play in my reloading room. I was thinking of adding a neck turner to my equipment.
How many of you actually noticed a difference in accuracy using one for factory chambers?

I have this one

PMA Neck Turning Tool Model A 30 degree - PMA Tool

I use lapua brass so the necks are already pretty uniform but occasionally when I am bored I will clean up/uniform the necks on a group of brass. Not the whole neck just knock down the high parts.

Now I do neck turn the .308 brass I turn into 6.5 creedmoor. necks get a little thick during the resizing process. That will be over as soon as the lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass hits the street.

but I will never own another gun that requires neck turned brass. No neck turn chambers are the way to go.

I don't think I shoot well enough to tell the difference.

I have this one

PMA Neck Turning Tool Model A 30 degree - PMA Tool

I use lapua brass so the necks are already pretty uniform but occasionally when I am bored I will clean up/uniform the necks on a group of brass. Not the whole neck just knock down the high parts.

Now I do neck turn the .308 brass I turn into 6.5 creedmoor. necks get a little thick during the resizing process. That will be over as soon as the lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass hits the street.

but I will never own another gun that requires neck turned brass. No neck turn chambers are the way to go.

I don't think I shoot well enough to tell the difference.
Thats kinda what I was thinking, getting one to take off the night spots, not sure if it's worth it but it's something to make me feel better about my loads..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.