Thickness of 30 cal barrel for hunting/taret?

Hi.
I like the Remington Sendero Contour Barrel that has a .830" Muzzle Diameter. I find it offers fine, long range accuracy whilst not being too heavy to carry about as a Hunting Rifle.
Hope this helps.

Brit.

What are the other dimensions of the barrels? There is more to consider than the muzzle diameter.

I like the thickest contour that doesn't put the total weight above 11 lb. A rifle that is shot from all positions sometimes with little warning can be too heavy, but for long shots from solid positions you don't want it too light either. I find 11 lb. a good compromise for me. I don't mind carrying it all day, but I still am able to shoot it well across the board.

I have always like the Shilen #6. I can't remember the sizes but you can look it up on their web site. It is a straight taper target/light varmint barrel. It is plenty stiff enough without all the extra weight. It handles great and even at 26" it's not too heavy to carry.

I have a couple of new 22 cal barrel blanks. One of them has a .750" muzzle diameter and the other one has an .865" muzzle diameter. There is less than 1 ounce weight difference.

For my 6.5 build, I went with a heavy Palma. If I were to do a .30 or .338 I would use the heavy Palma again! I really like the Palma profile.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts