Favourite 30. Cal for LR hunting

Lapua bolt face should not be cut in a standard sized Rem 700 action. If you don't care about weight and want to buy a custom action that is latge enough in diameter then by all means go for it.

I personally like the blend of all features of the 30 Nosler including its case capacity. I don't want or need more. Of course you could make the same argument for the win mag. No right or wrong answer here just as long as you understand the subtle differences between each case.

I don't have a 30-cal since I sold my -06, but I wouldn't mind having a 30 Nosler or a 300 WSM. (I'd probably chamber either one in an action that can go a little longer than standard. RUM-length action for the Nosler, for example.)

The 30-338 Lapua Improved will simply out do the rest of the 30's. The Lapua brass is superior to the rest. So with no restrictions in the original question this would be the most impressive 30. IMHO

Steve

The 30-338 Lapua Improved will simply out do the rest of the 30's. The Lapua brass is superior to the rest. So with no restrictions in the original question this would be the most impressive 30. IMHO

Steve

(LOL)
And that is how we get into an arms race.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Always nice to find out what and why people would go a certain route. Some times is something you over look. Rifle will not be built for this season but parts will begin to be collected. Just need to decided on caliber for bolt face. It will be a custom action. I have 7-8 Remington's and love the action but my 260 is on a stiller and it's just that much nicer. This one will probably be on defiance or bat. Jewel trigger for sure. Bartlein or benchmark as gunsmith recommends the one and I'm currently having fantastic luck with the other. Mcmillan A5 stock I think, might give the manners a shot this time.

To me most importantly is probably decent barrel life, brass life, powder consumption. The 30 nosler is starting to catch my eye. Over looked it but a ton of people are recommending. 300. Win mag is probably still top choice for now until I can get more info on the 30 nosler.

Steve

I just caught wind of 30cal wildcat is coming back to life that will make our 338LM based 300's look like 308's compared to it.

....The 30-338 Lapua Improved will simply out do the rest of the 30's. The Lapua brass is superior to the rest. So with no restrictions in the original question this would be the most impressive 30. IMHO...........Steve

No disagreement on impressive, but is it your favorite?

1) .300 Winchester Magnum, because I have one, and all the components.
2) .30 Nosler because I'm attracted to new shiny things.
3) .30-06 because A) Nostalgia, B) When I'm honest:rolleyes:Given all the same technologic advances, barrels, stocks, optics, brass, and especially bullets, easily gets me past the limits of my abilities. gun):)

No disagreement on impressive, but is it your favorite?

1) .300 Winchester Magnum, because I have one, and all the components.
2) .30 Nosler because I'm attracted to new shiny things.
3) .30-06 because A) Nostalgia, B) When I'm honest:rolleyes:Given all the same technologic advances, barrels, stocks, optics, brass, and especially bullets, easily gets me past the limits of my abilities. gun):)

When it comes down to pure performance, YES.

If the question were, what is the best all around practical 30 cal?, my answer would be 30-06.

Apparently Kirby is supposed to be putting together a 300 Allen Magnum towards the end of the year for a customer.

Ok. Not sure what he is cooking on that one. If it is still on the standard long action or cheytac type action. Will interesting to see.

Do you know what the expected weight it will be?

Steve

Ok. Not sure what he is cooking on that one. If it is still on the standard long action or cheytac type action. Will interesting to see.

Do you know what the expected weight it will be?

Steve

Said it's on the cheytac case just like his 338 and 375AM. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts