Thermal Monocular Choice

kuduman

I'm considering putting a N-Vision thermal scope on top of a AR-15 for hog hunting and would like to use a thermal monocular for spotting them. Just have no experience using them and do not want to buy something and throw it away a month later. Any guidance will be appreciated . Thanks !!

Added explanation,,,,,, looking for a recommendation on the thermal monocular, not the scope

Once you start using a thermal monocular for spotting the hogs, you will never go back!

When I lived in SC, I had access to 2,100 acres, which was broken up into over a dozen farms. With the thermal monocular, I could roll up in the truck and do a quick scan of the field. If there were no hogs, then I was off to the next spot. If there were hogs, then game on!

What's your budget?

I just use a Flir Scout TK for a monocular due to compact size and only runs around 600.00. Works great for just spotting critters at night as long as distance isn't much over 100 yards.

I had an ATN thermal monocular, but it crapped out a few months ago. It is so old that ATN does not service them any longer. IMO, a thermal is a necessity when hog hunting at night.

On Facebook, Texas Law Man has reviews on a number of thermals. He also oversees Lone Star Boars. Double Naught Spy on here is a whiz a the thermals as well. May want to send them a PM for their thoughts. Double Naught has his own YouTube page, so you could probably learn a lot from him.

Another thing to consider is a clip on that you can use for both. Burris is supposed to be releasing a thermal clip-on soon that can be used as a monocular and then clip on your day scope for night hunting. ATN is supposed to be releasing one as well but doesn't look to function as a monocular like the burris. I had a night vision set up but didn't like having to use 2 different guns/uppers and not being able to use the night vision gun during the day so I sold it last summer expecting one of these options to be available by now. We do a lot of hog/varmint night hunting and having the monocular and scope is a lot easier then scanning with just the scope.

I´ve a Pulsar Helion XP50. Great tool. I use it both day and night. No need to spend long continous minutes glassing. Just a couple of passages of the area. Easy to locate animals at several hundred yards. We can use it in 2.5x magnification and use while walking. Ofourse best at night or cold hours.

I have (had) I flir scout 2 that worked all right. It was a refurbished unit that I got a deal on. After about two years the battery wouldn't charge any more. I sent it to flir about 6 months ago and haven't heard back from them. I called and talked to a lady on their customer service line and she said that I would have to get ahold of the warehouse but they don't have a phone number so good luck and hung up on me. I don't think I will do any more business with flir. Good luck on whatever you decide to go with.

I have (had) I flir scout 2 that worked all right. It was a refurbished unit that I got a deal on. After about two years the battery wouldn't charge any more. I sent it to flir about 6 months ago and haven't heard back from them. I called and talked to a lady on their customer service line and she said that I would have to get ahold of the warehouse but they don't have a phone number so good luck and hung up on me. I don't think I will do any more business with flir. Good luck on whatever you decide to go with.
The reason you're having issues is because Flir doesn't sell to the public anymore. However, they still should take care of the people that purchased their products.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.