Thermal Review

Can you describe the terrain you hunt?

I live in SC, and with all the trees, the only open spaces are agricultural fields. I'll never have a shot over 400 yards. I've used Google Earth to familiarize myself with the distances to points at all of the locations I hunt. Most of my shots will be taken at less than 150 yards, so with a 100 yard zero I just point and shoot. Not sure about your location, so I'm not sure how that might work for you. If a hog shows up further away, I can quickly guess on my aiming point.

scrmblr the terrain is mesquite, cedars, and oaks. Open fields to so thick a rabbit has a hard time. However, the hogs love it and run through it like it was a freeway. Since this will be a dedicated thermal night set up the shots will be at 200 or less. Well our second hunt is on!!! Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will report in a few days.

I am way too anal when it comes to accuracy and close just won't work for me. So the quick mounts are out. We had two other problems one with the scope and one with the monocular. The monocular caused night vision problem. It did not last very long but was bothersome. I guess because of pupil dilation. The scope had rangefinder lines, however, ranging at night was very difficult with or without the scope. Any suggestions?
Night ranging is difficult under the best of circumstances. I don't know of any rangefinders on the civilian market that will work in the dark. There might be some IR units out there available to LEO's but IR is very limited unless you have one heck of an emitter.

Night ranging is difficult under the best of circumstances. I don't know of any rangefinders on the civilian market that will work in the dark. There might be some IR units out there available to LEO's but IR is very limited unless you have one heck of an emitter.

Well you know that Pulsar makes a digital NV rifle scope with built in rangefinder that is IR, the N850. I think 400-600 is about it on distance.

With that said, the Silencerco Radius can be set up to be slaved to your regular rifle scope such that you can range long distance.

Check out the video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NI1vjjaBIg

Just got a chance to review the Reap-IR, Pulsar XD50, and monocular Pulsar Quantum HD385. The Reap is outstanding with great picture, easy target identification and light weight. It is a little difficult to operate especially for some one with a heavy touch. Operation is also complicated compared to the Pulsars. It was able to positively identify deer at 600 yards at night and 500 yards during the day. A Bobcat at 100 yards you could watch him lick his paws. The Pulsar XD50 was about half as effective. The cat at 100 could be identified by shape only. I could identify deer at 400 but only when they were broad side. Positive hog identification was good out to about 150 on a large hog. The pulsar was very simple and easy to use. The Pulsar monocular was easy to use and would find targets. Positive identification is difficult past 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.