The Year of the 7mm…at least for me.

Would also be great to somehow have a comparison of capability of each cartridge with a couple of different bullets for efficiency comparison. Idk how to do it in a way that normalizes all the variables but what I'm trying to get at is the gains from going higher in wc capacity are sometimes minimal. I don't have one personally but I've seen data on the 7SS which is quite impressive for a cartridge with -72g wc vs say the 7PRC which is ~81g wc…..where it seems the +13% increase in powder doesn't gain much in terms of MV. For me, the 280AI hits a sweet spot where going to larger cartridges becomes a point of diminishing returns.

The bullet looks loose in the 7-300 case.

I have a 7mm-08, 280 Rem, and 7RM all in Rem 700. First 2 in same MTN Rifle with dbm. The 7rm is an older adl that I put in a classic stock and is now a DBM also.

Had a Ruger 77 in 257R and I had a desire to get same rifle in 7x57 and 6mmRem.

Sold my 7 mag (too slow twist) and I've been trying to decide what to build in its place. It's going on a Tikka action. This visual helps. Thinking it will be 7prc at this point, I don't have time/patience for wildcats. Bottom cartridge looks like a 7 Creedmoor to me.

I am getting a reamer made right now for a 7mm wssm wildcat. I got a gun from a member on here chambered in an ar, but the reamer I am getting allows the bullets to be seated out quite a bit unlike the ar.

Here's what I got the reamer made to.
180 eldm
2.185 CBTO

Attachments

• IMG_20230911_220525794.jpg
    IMG_20230911_220525794.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 67
I am getting a reamer made right now for a 7mm wssm wildcat. I got a gun from a member on here chambered in an ar, but the reamer I am getting allows the bullets to be seated out quite a bit unlike the ar.

Here's what I got the reamer made to.
180 eldm
2.185 CBTO
What's the freebore for this reamer spec'd at?

Wow… that's a ton of FB in a 7mm cartridge. I'm guessing you'll be jumping ~0.200"?? What's the rationale for why you chose this FB if you don't mind me asking?
My main idea of the cartridge is to shoot the long monos while not taking up much powder supply. Thus seating them out so far. The wssm cartridges are so short that even having a bullet at the shoulder of the case takes up around 10 or so percent of the capacity. The eldm has about 1/8 of an inch of bearing surface in that case and the 172 absolutes I plan on shooting will have around .200 or so.

I have been a fan of the 7mm since my first 7mm-08 1981 Rem HV, BDL.
Over the last two years I have sold many rifles and handguns; both to clean out the safe queens and make room for my custom rifles that use prefits.
I finally got all but one of the 7mm cartridges I have wanted. (Still waiting on the 7x57 AI)
Attached are pics and a file that shows what each cartridge is and their H2O case capacity.
Perhaps someone will find it useful if they plan on building any one of these cartridges.

Any guesses on the last cartridge on the right?
Great info! Thank you. My guess is a 7-6.5 Creed.

Would also be great to somehow have a comparison of capability of each cartridge with a couple of different bullets for efficiency comparison. Idk how to do it in a way that normalizes all the variables but what I'm trying to get at is the gains from going higher in wc capacity are sometimes minimal. I don't have one personally but I've seen data on the 7SS which is quite impressive for a cartridge with -72g wc vs say the 7PRC which is ~81g wc…..where it seems the +13% increase in powder doesn't gain much in terms of MV. For me, the 280AI hits a sweet spot where going to larger cartridges becomes a point of diminishing returns.
Concur on the .280AI! Very efficient cartridge.