43 shots for the year

nhenry

After a basement flood ruined my reloading bench and forced me to move my family, I'm finding it hard to gather the motivation to reload much nowadays. I don't have a designated area for it anymore, so I have to use C-clamps and mount the press to my kitchen's bar.

In a normal year, I'd usually load around 500 rounds. I know that's not much compared to a lot of the fine folks here, but it was enough for me and my shooting habits (which have also taken a turn for the worse due to financial hardships).

I finally got the motivation to load just 43 rounds (all the bullets I had left in a box) of 280 AI, enough for some range practice, coyotes, and a deer or two at the end of the season. I did the load work for this particular load at the beginning of the year on a pretty warm stretch of winter — around 50-60°.

This load features 120gr TTSX stuffed on top of H100V. The igniter is a Remington 9 1/2. The case is twice fired Peterson, the best brass I've used. They scorch along at 3405 fps on avg. Out of my gun, if my shooting is up to it on the day, they'll cluster 5 into 3/4"

Thanks you anyone who bothered to read this.

IMG_9469.jpeg

IMG_9463.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry for your losses , and I hope that you can secure the necessary components for reloading .
I used a LEE Hand Press for many years of reloading , and it did an amazingly consistent job .
It was very reasonably priced .

DMP25-06
Appreciate it. Fortunately, everything but my trimmer and actual bench survived. Just nowhere to put them now. There are worse fates to be had.

I'm sorry about the flooding situation and your financial hardships! I don't know your name but I will pray for you, my friend!

Those Unknown Muitions boxes are great!

Best wishes!
JC
Thank you! And yes, those boxes are great. They've saved a couple tumbles due to the foam up top.

When I had to spend a few years in an apartment I had to do the same thing.

Mounted my press to a 2x12 and C-clamped it to the bar in the kitchen. My loads shot almost as well as they do now with dedicated load room. They are only better now because I have better reloading components than I had back then.

Hopefully going out and shooting will reignite the spark a bit for you.

When I had to spend a few years in an apartment I had to do the same thing.

Mounted my press to a 2x12 and C-clamped it to the bar in the kitchen. My loads shot almost as well as they do now with dedicated load room. They are only better now because I have better reloading components than I had back then.

Hopefully going out and shooting will reignite the spark a bit for you.
It does surprisingly well for building accurate ammo, but nothing beats the sanctity of the bench for sure.

Sorry to hear that. My reloading interest definitely ebbs and peaks a lot. I tend to shoot a lot of factory for long stretches then load for stretches 🤷🏻‍♂️
Wish I had a gun that I didn't have to reload for sometimes, honestly. A 308 or 6.5 Creed sounds better and better every year. Heck, a 30-06 or 270 makes a lot of sense too. Just not as sexy as 280 AI.