Interesting discovery (for me at least)

Thanks Cody. I've since talked to some people that have used them in the dead of winter here in Idaho while hunting wolves. Never a problem. I'm going to run with 'em this fall. Tested my load to distance and it's .5 MOA out to 800. I'm putting that rifle away until a month before the season.
Excellent. I have found the br-2's as well as the br-4's to be excellent, and have significantly lower e.s. numbers than standard primers in my .260 Ackley as well.

In my experience with the 7 mag and 300 mag with 4831sc which is my goto. 210m primers work well. Never seen a hang fire but that's just my experience. 7 mag should be around 64-65 grains 300 should be around 73. Great combo up in the northwest where it gets cold.

View attachment 99621 Ran into something interesting. During load development for my 7mm magnum, I've been struggling with finding a good load with 168 h-vld's . My last barrel shot bugholes with them using 70gr of H1000 lit by CCI250's. Tried H1000 and Retumbo lit by fed215's and CCI250's with not much love. I talked to my smith and he said to try BR2 primers. I've got a bunch of those for my 260, so hell, why not.

Well, magic happened at 69grains of H1000 using BR2's.

I've found a couple claims on the internet of large rifle primers having issues at sub zero temps with ball powders (which H1000 is not).

Has anyone here actually had a hang fire or failure in cold temps with non-magnum primers?
I recently started using BR2 primers and have a good many hang fires,I also have tried some other powders like Mag,and H1000,loading the 26 nosler never had this problem in 40 yrs of reloading.

I recently started using BR2 primers and have a good many hang fires,I also have tried some other powders like Mag,and H1000,lo weaing
the 26 nosler never had this problem in 40 yrs of reloading.

I had several hang fires with BR-4. The factory increased the firing pin spring. It gained 100 fps and never had another hang fire.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.