The widely unknown and forgotten marlin mr-7 - building a mountain rifle in .270 sherman

Small update, have the rifles back and now we're waiting on some Norma brass (should be here monday) and going to have the marlin cerakoted. We will probably start fireforming and load developement on the ruger asap, as my other cousin will be out here in Idaho on their hunting ranch next week and will be here for about 6 or 7 days, so hopefully we can have a good load worked out by then with the 128's and he can take it back with him.

So here is the marlin with the new barrel and MBM baby beast brake, what are thoughts on a cerakote color? We're thinking a light grey, swamp type green, or a fde brown type. Ideas? View attachment 137703

Looking really good! I would also do the green.

Small update, have the rifles back and now we're waiting on some Norma brass (should be here monday) and going to have the marlin cerakoted. We will probably start fireforming and load developement on the ruger asap, as my other cousin will be out here in Idaho on their hunting ranch next week and will be here for about 6 or 7 days, so hopefully we can have a good load worked out by then with the 128's and he can take it back with him.

So here is the marlin with the new barrel and MBM baby beast brake, what are thoughts on a cerakote color? We're thinking a light grey, swamp type green, or a fde brown type. Ideas? View attachment 137703

I have two rifles done in flat black, they look awesome when they contrast with the camo.

Rifle update!!!

Finally got it back from cerakoting!! We decided to go with a brown, I think it looks great!! Got 100 rounds of norma brass loaded up for fireforming last night, Blake is gonna shoot some prairie dogs with them today....next step will be some 170 EOL's on top of some Reloder 26!!

Came out a touch on the heavy side, as Blake didn't want the barrel shank cut down and left it a little long, ready to hunt with the VX-5HD is right at 10 lbs. After season we may do a little work to the stock, I think we can shave off a little and give it a nicer finish too.

Updates coming!!!
20190809_225339.jpg
20190809_225321.jpg

Rifle update!!!

Finally got it back from cerakoting!! We decided to go with a brown, I think it looks great!! Got 100 rounds of norma brass loaded up for fireforming last night, Blake is gonna shoot some prairie dogs with them today....next step will be some 170 EOL's on top of some Reloder 26!!

Came out a touch on the heavy side, as Blake didn't want the barrel shank cut down and left it a little long, ready to hunt with the VX-5HD is right at 10 lbs. After season we may do a little work to the stock, I think we can shave off a little and give it a nicer finish too.

Updates coming!!!
View attachment 144746 View attachment 144747
VERY, VERY, NICE!
Cant wait to see how she shoots.
Great to see an out of mainstream type build!

VERY, VERY, NICE!
Cant wait to see how she shoots.
Great to see an out of mainstream type build!
Thanks Rich!!

Also, the remington mag box modification came out great, we're just waiting on a flat follower at this point, the standard stagger feed follower causes issues sometimes with the last round. A flat one will fix that, otherwise it's great

Neat and distinctive rifle. Yup, after the season replacing that flashy finish on the stock would be a "Hunter friendly" choice!

WW

Well deer season opens in just a few hours, my cousin is on the mountain now with camp set up, and my father and I are going up in the morning after I get off at 0600. Got everything with this rifle finished up just two days ago, RL26 was not wanting to shoot that well, 1" or so groups no matter what we tried. Switched to H1000, and it sure did the trick!!! H1000 and RL26 maxed out at the same velocity, right around 3000 fps or so, with H1000 being more stable and giving better load density.

3 shots @100yds, H1000, GM215M primer, 170 EOL seated .005" off, and 2940 fps
20190912_091608.jpg

That group may have been some luck, but when we stretched it out to over 700 yds it was holding well under half MOA, so I think it's doing just fine.

And here is the finished, scoped rifle. Has an ARCA mount to go on the tripod, can be used from 3" off the ground all the way up to off hand up hill, and very, very stable. This has been a fun build, and is surely gonna stack critters, hopefully a big deer in the next couple days!!
20190814_164447.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.