The whole story... My Custom 6.5 Creedmoor from Mesa Precision

MarkTheFark

Contents...
MGH01578.jpg

I have seen a lot of nice rifle builds on here and other sites (whether fully custom or semi-custom), but one thing I don't see much of is the "whole story" — both the story behind the rifle, as well how things go with that specific rifle over any long-term basis.

I'm kicking off this thread, simply because I would find that type of thing interesting and valuable (as a reader of other's experiences).

This thread will be about a rifle that I had John Hakes and Mesa Precision Arms (http://mesaprecisionarms.com/) put together for me.

I originally called John a couple of years back with questions about the Altitude stocks he offered for Tikka actions. I got that stock from him for my Tikka, which I loved, and then over a year later I called John up again when I decided to re-barrel that Tikka with a Proof pre-fit. The guys at Mesa did the barrel swap and opened-up the stock's inlet for the larger profile Proof.

I loved that Tikka so much, I thought about building a clone (this time in a 6.5 variant, whereas the first one is a 30-06) using another Tikka donor action, another Proof pre-fit, and another Altitude stock.

After realizing my barrel options were limited in a pre-fit, that I wanted a true short-action for this new rifle, and that I wanted to hit a specific goal weight, I decided to go ahead and have John do a full build for me using his Summit action.

MGH01560.jpg

Build Details
  • Mesa Precision Summit Ti Action
  • Mesa Precision Altitude Stock
  • 20" Proof, 1:7.5 Twist
  • TriggerTech Primary
  • Hawkins Long-Range Hybrid Rings
  • Thunderbeast CB Brake & Ultra 7 Suppressor
  • Recessed Spartan Precision Bipod Adapter
  • Currently topped with a Vortex LHT (may change)
My goal was to end up right around 8-lbs scoped and suppressed, and I hit that number exactly. I wanted something light for backcountry/backpack hunts, as well as friendly handling for my wife and kids. I wanted the shorter barrel to accommodate for the fact that I will be shooting suppressed 99% of the time.

This gun will specifically be used for deer (whitetail, mule deer, Sitka blacktail), antelope, some black bear, and maybe caribou. Aside from hunting, I wanted this build to be something I could shoot steel with, get the wife and kids time behind a centerfire, and just "enjoy". It will be shot...a lot.

With all of that said, I decided that 6.5 Creedmoor was the way to go. It is a sufficient cartridge for the game intended. Would be great for the wife and kids. And is ideal from a perspective of component cost and availability, as well as factory ammunition offerings.

MGH01569.jpg

I specifically knew I wanted to use the 124g Hammer Hunter as my go-to hunting bullet for this build. I was hoping that even with the shorter 20" barrel, I could carry the ballistics for 1800+ fps out to around 600 yards. That turned out to be exactly what I got, as I am running them at 2900fps MV, and they're shooting under .5 MOA

I will post more updates below, including load development, more impressions on the rifle, etc, but that's a good start on "the story" of this rifle for now. If you have questions, feel free to ask away and I'll get back to you.

MGH01546.jpg

Last edited:
Well i see there are others out there that think like I do. Almost the exact story for me as well. Just a few different built materials (manners and defiance) but essentially the same wants and outcomes as you. I love this thing for hunting and shoot and it has proven a really great rifle to get others behind. Still need to use a different bipod but other then that it has been perfect. Thanks for your story and specs. I have since changed out the Ultra 7 for a dedicated Ultra 5 (6.5) as a dedicated hunting can and like it even more then the 7.

Attachments

• IMG_3955.JPG
    IMG_3955.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Beautiful. I'm planning on rebarreling a Christensen ridgeline with a 18.5 inch barrel in 6.5 creedmoor and running either the hammer hunters or absolute hammers. I'd be happy with a 5-600 yard Max on that rifle and it would be great for the other half like you said! Seriously considering Mesa for my next build as I have a stock from them on my current custom 7 Saum

I have since changed out the Ultra 7 for a dedicated Ultra 5 (6.5) as a dedicated hunting can and like it even more then the 7.

Cool to hear. My buddy went with a Ultra 5 in 6.5 and I want to compare it side-by-side with my 7/30. I stuck with the 7/30, since it is a "do it all can" that I need to work on 6.5, 7mm, and 30-cal rifles.

I went with the 7 for the same reasons and it is quitter then the 5. But that 5 on a dedicated 20" hunting rifle is pretty dam nice in the field running around in the brush and trees. Its really a "field" can. For anything at the range or any volume of shooting i use the 7.

BACK STORY: I've been building my own stuff for about 40 years now. Back when I was an E-2 and I couldn't afford the fire let alone a pot or beans I started plumbing cheap guns I got at pawn shops. Then I discovered the base library. It was chock full of DIY gunsmithing books. I read them all. The biggest take away from my military career wasn't a pension. In fact it turned out to be a young guy about my age then that worked as a machinist at the base. We both liked to shoot and build stuff. He worked the 11P-7a shift and his boss was also a shooter. So late at night I would go down to his work and his boss gave us training on the various machine tools. I fell in love with machining.
So fast forward to today and I have my own pretty decent machine shop in the garage. This last year I've perfected my technique to the point I cant out shoot my rifles. My current pride and joy is a .224 Valkyrie. I ordered a Hart barrel with 6 twist and threaded, chambered and throated it myself. I took the Savage action (my first time with a Savage) and trued it with the center of the action and opened up the bolt face. The barrel really took a long time to break in. It shot pretty average and I was frustrated. I tried everything I could think of. I was almost ready to throw in the towel. At about the 300 round mark it found its groove. My brother and I have literally picked off dragon flies with it. It shoots pretty darn good and I'm proud of it. First pic is a 4 round group with hand loads, the second is 3 rounds factory.

Attachments

• 20200727_184024.jpg
    20200727_184024.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 20200609_170135.jpg
    20200609_170135.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 363
  • 20191114_145637.jpg
    20191114_145637.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 389
I have been lurking here for quite a while. I used to do alot of rifle and bow hunting in the seventies and early eighties before this state made us choose between the two. I then took up bow hunting full time.The family bought me a surprise hunt in Africa for my 60th birthday 5 years ago. Although I was able to take about 6 animals I went through more rounds than I want to admit. I found out that I did need to practice after all.
. Boy have things changed. Thanks to this site I have learned a lot. I was not implying that I am broke, its tough getting by the wife. Thanks

Mark@exo, I own two of your packs, and I greatly appreciate the level of care and quality you put into your products. I would expect you to carry that professional fit and finish over to your firearms, and that's exactly what you've done here. Congrats on a nice hunting rifle.

The whole is usually not the end for most people. It seems we're always questing for something a little different, unique, or new. I started off like most, buying a rifle, tweaking it, taking it to a smith for more tweaks..... it was a pia but I didn't know any different. I decided one day, I can do my own work, this sort of thing is just art, mechanics, and science and nothing behind is difficult. Sooooo, I started doing my own work minus cutting a new barrel. That meant prefits. I've built close to 20 rifles for my own use and for buddies/family etc. The more I built the more I wanted to do more of the machine work not just assemble parts. Truing action faces, lugs, bolt head and lugs, modifying firing pins, polishing internals, and lots and lots of glassing, inletting, and other stock work.

For me there are 2 stories. My preference for a rifle build that fits me for how I hunt. 1. I use a back pack with a scabbard and run hands free (I hate slings). This is for hiking (which I do a lot of) but also used on a dirt bike and dirt bike with snow track kit for winter hunting wolves. 2. I use a horse with saddle scabbard. Not much more to say, think every knows the challenges there.

1. The rifle needs a folding butt stock, be light as possible, and quite.
2. The rifle needs to be able to fit a saddle scabbard, be light, quite.

1. The rifle sports a MDT chassis, modified for weight reduction, bighorn TL3, Proof carbon, leupold vx6, TBAC ultra 7. 10 lbs
2. Savage modified action and stock. TBAC ultra 7. Leupold VX3. 8 lbs

I have a new barrel and new TBAC dominus CB suppressor on order. The barrel is 18' and the can is 5". Combined I will lose 6" in barrel length. I think that is the final chapter in my rifle build. I am now working on a long range pistol, the saga continues.
IMG_9815.jpg
IMG_7243.jpg

UPDATE 01

I have received some questions about load development with the Hammers, as well as questions about factory ammunition I have tried and what types of speeds I was getting at 20".

During the first 50 rounds of the new barrel I tried a few different factory offerings, especially from Berger. The price for the quality on their ammunition is good — especially since I was trying to stock up on Laupa brass anyway. I shot some groups with 3 different Berger offerings, and also rung some steel with cheap S&B ammunition.
  • Berger 130 Hybrid OTM — Averaged 2700 MV and .6 MOA
  • Berger 135 Classic Hunter — Averaged 2630 MV and .5 MOA
  • Berger 140 Hybrid Target — Averaged 2690 MV and .5 MOA
  • Cheap S&B 140g Tactical — Averaged 2475 MV (Didn't shoot for groups)
When I started loading for the 124 Hammers I did a ladder in .3g increments from 38g-40.7g. The velocities consistently and steadily increased with no significant nodes. I hit some slight pressure signs (bolt lift and ejector mark) at 40.7

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 9.16.28 AM.png

I loaded 5 rounds at 40.2, which shot .37 MOA at just a few feet under 2900 MV...

2020-10-30 10.00.13.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.