The shelves at my LGS's are full again, powder is decently plentiful again, why no primers FS/OTC still?

DartonJager

Just wondering why none of the LGS by me has had any primers in and if they do they literally vanish in a day in mere moments?
My local Cabela's has all the ammo you could want, decent selection of powders even popular ones in 1#, 4# and 8# containers, but it's been a year since I saw a single primer on anyone shelves. Bullets in all popular calibers galore even decent amounts of brass, but still no primers.

Are primers that much more difficult to make than all other reloading components?

Funnel of consolidation, lots of bullet makers all over the USA. Getting to be a few brass companies, not many powder companies but it is made in enough places for those companies to keep it more up to date. Primers have what 2 actual viable primer manufacturers... pressure on the funnel is most intense down with those two primer companies. Especially since those companies also haven't caught up on its own house brand ammo.

Hopefully that new primer plant that's supposed to be being built in Tx will get some inventory out there.

What Vista has done with Fed/CCI really sucks for us shooters. If the Texas outfit has a good product in the future I m going to remember what the other guys did to us.

My local Cabela's has all the ammo you could want, decent selection of powders even popular ones in 1#, 4# and 8# containers, but it's been a year since I saw a single primer on anyone shelves. Bullets in all popular calibers galore even decent amounts of brass, but still no primers.
Just curious - what part of the country are you in? The Cabelas stores in my area don't have any powder, bullets, or brass let alone primes.

Just curious - what part of the country are you in? The Cabelas stores in my area don't have any powder, bullets, or brass let alone primes.
I would like to know also. I visited my lgs last week and powder shelves were darn near empty except for some Winchester powder's and bullet selection was very limited. Lots of pistol primers, powder and bullets though.

Hopefully that new primer plant that's supposed to be being built in Tx will get some inventory out there.

What Vista has done with Fed/CCI really sucks for us shooters. If the Texas outfit has a good product in the future I m going to remember what the other guys did to us.
If the new plant puts out any product I'll certainly give it a try, and even be long-suffering with performance for a while just to help offset the monopoly.

Cabelas in Gainesville VA has lots of ammo, no Primers. LGS in Warrenton VA has lots of ammo and based on walk through the other day selection of guns and gun stuff has matured (better selection of the right things) and came through shut down quite nicely. Unfortunately they are selling primers at a premium ($15 for 100) and limited buy (3 x 100 primers) - part of the cost is their range use is free as long as you buy their targets and ammo (reloading components).

Many of us may have plenty of one primer type but are short on another. I had no trouble trading several thousand large rifle primers for large pistol primers at a gun show several months ago in Ft. Worth. This was with a dealer and we traded even. Worth considering if you have any large shows in your area.

I'm seeing small primers in several places. No large rifle primers and only saw large pistol magnum primers once and they were $140. Local small town shop has pretty much every powder available.
Have any of you tried Estate auctions ? In my area of Pa I go to a few. And buy what I need. Sometimes it may cost more. But if you know what you want & set a limit on what you're willing to spend. You can walk away a happy camper. I have loaded up on bullets & some hard to find powders for a fraction of the cost. And yes primers also. I have primers I will most likely never use. Not a lot but sufficient should I get a deal on a Magnum pistol. I never owned a 38 but after the auction I had to buy one. lol

Does anyone know if these Ginex LR primers are good, bad, or ugly?

Looking at those prices I hope they shoot well. I purchased a 1,000 Rem 9 1/2 unopened box, Fed 210, Fed 210 M, and CCI of various sizes for less than $300.00. Enough to keep me going or trade for what I need. I don't need to buy new. I can tell by looking at the boxes they were stored well. I have no doubt they work. I have not had one that did NOT work yet. Not saying it isn't possible. But even so not a big loss considering the amount I got for what I paid. I only use mine for plinking & hunting so it's not a big deal. Now if I was shooting competitions. I would consider buying new. Someone looking to just fire form brass auctions is the way to go. Seems like a waste to buy high dollar primers to just shoot a round off into the dirt.