The New Hornady A-tip match bullet

lots of other bullets "not designed for hunting" have been used and are being used for hunting with great success,

have 100 pcs of the 250 gr 30 cal bullets coming next week, will plug some water jugs and see what they do
Indeed, Hornady manufactures ammunition for different applications: hunting, target, defense, etc ... surely you can tell the manufacturers that their target bullets are in fact for any application.

I see in the Hornady video that they are learning what archers have known for a long time; Weight FOC (Forward Of Center). When we build arrows, we want as much of the overall weight of the arrow forward of center as is practical.

I see in the Hornady video that they are learning what archers have known for a long time; Weight FOC (Forward Of Center). When we build arrows, we want as much of the overall weight of the arrow forward of center as is practical.
I may be wrong but I think the A-tip moves the center of gravity back by putting the light tip out front. Arrows and bullets fly straight for entirely different reasons. A bullet because it spins. An arrow needs weight out front and vanes in the back to keep it pointed forward.

I may be wrong but I think the A-tip moves the center of gravity back by putting the light tip out front. Arrows and bullets fly straight for entirely different reasons. A bullet because it spins. An arrow needs weight out front and vanes in the back to keep it pointed forward.

The aluminum tip will weigh more then a Polymer or OTM, how much more is dependent on the type of aluminum in use but anyway an arrow flies straight as it is descending because the weight more in the front and essentially "pulling"
From the tip, a bullet is the opposite as far as weight distribution, gravity wants to affect it more from the rear, think of it this way, hold an arrow and a Rifle bullet horizontally then drop them, the arrow will want to fall tip down and aerodynamic and the bullet will drop base down. I'm not saying it's the main factor to how this or any bullet will perform or the reason they went aluminum (consistency of the tip shape I believe the said was the reason) but it should be a small added advantage. I briefly mentioned the tip weight in the last post of page 3 but nobody commented back.

The aluminum tip will weigh more then a Polymer or OTM, how much more is dependent on the type of aluminum in use but anyway an arrow flies straight as it is descending because the weight more in the front and essentially "pulling"
From the tip, a bullet is the opposite as far as weight distribution, gravity wants to affect it more from the rear, think of it this way, hold an arrow and a Rifle bullet horizontally then drop them, the arrow will want to fall tip down and aerodynamic and the bullet will drop base down. I'm not saying it's the main factor to how this or any bullet will perform or the reason they went aluminum (consistency of the tip shape I believe the said was the reason) but it should be a small added advantage. I briefly mentioned the tip weight in the last post of page 3 but nobody commented back.

From a release from Hornady:
"We wanted to incorporate aluminum tips in a full line of match bullets for years because we can make longer tips than we can with polymer materials," said Joe Thielen, Assistant Director of Engineering. "This longer tip is a key component that helps move the center of gravity of the bullet rearward, thus enhancing in-flight stability and reducing dispersion."

Finally, somebody else figured out that aluminum is lighter then the rest of the bullet , and the Winchester silver tips that I used to used were flat nosed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts