The New Hornady A-tip match bullet

I know right? It's just hornady haters that cant stand to see them making strides in the direction that no other MAJOR manufacturer has done before.

I don't hate Hornady at all, I rather enjoy the short hop over to their factory, and the hospitality they display.
Rather, I consider myself an informed consumer, in that I don't salivate over marketing hype, and look discerningly at comparable products, without the handicap of "brand loyalty".

I watched the video but was surprised it made no reference to how the bullet would work on a werewolf. To me, that appears to be the greatest benefit of this bullet over an ELD-M (and profit margins).

Towards the end of the video, they seat one of the bullets in a hornady press and seater die. When the bullet is lowered out of the press I notice that there is no indentation ring on the Ogive from being seated!!!! What is this black magic? I figure I lose 15% of the published B.C. of their ELD-M bullets from denting them while seating the bullet.

Hornady has just released a new bullet. The a-tip match. Looks like an aluminum tipped eld. The bc on these bullets are nothing short of impressive! Looking forward to shooting them!
Just preordered some 6.5 mm 153 gr from Midway. Had to order the Hornady seating stem and seating dies also. Supposed to be in stock on 4/29. Not sure when Foster will come out with the new seating stems. We will see how good they are.

you are looking for the new Winchester, SILVER tipped bullet .

good point , too much neck tension causes those "rings" and not using a VLD seater plug
I must look up this "VLD" seater plug now.

I am betting the A-Tips will outperform Winchester Silver tips on werewolves. Hornady has never let me down..... and its all I can afford.

Edit:
Well I'll be damned..... They should put this part number on the box for the bullets.
Hornady 397109 ELD Match 308 Seating Stem, 30 Caliber 208 Grain

Last edited:
Not going to reread the whole thread but I thought someone said a seater comes with the box of bullets. Most of these newer long ogive bullets need different seaters now adays. Can't use the seaters of old any more.

I love the negative comments given here. PLEASE, dont buy them, stick with your Speer Hot Cores and Midway Blems.

Anyone got any A-tips on back-order at Midway?
I think what redleg1013 was getting at, because I was going to mention it as well, is that aluminum tipped bullets have been around for quite awhile. I believe they were used by some snipers in WWII. It's not new technology, hornady has just marketed well, and hopefully perfected the design. Anyhow, everyone else is wondering how they will preform on game. What I was planning on saying is, just research how aluminum tipped bullets have preformed over the last 90 years. They are small companies that made the bullets, so the info is scarce compared to horndady, berger, seirra, and barnes data, but it is out there.

I should also mention, I'm a big hornady fan, because of all the advancements they make. I'm just making saying, the best prediction of the future is a well documented history. Look at what these bullets did in the past

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.