The long lost adjustable boss.

Well it sure didn't last long? I remember when Browning started with them..
"Greatest thing since sliced bread".... and now?
Like the old Poly-Choke just never caught on...
The title of the thread sums it up..
The fact that the poly choke never caught on has NOTHING to do with how it worked....just like the BOSS. They both worked as advertised.

The boss worked, but it was OBNOXIOUSLY loud. The shooting world consists of hunters, not small group guys. The average hunter HATED the noise and could give a krap weather it shrank his groups. The target shooters LIKE to hand load and LIKE to tune their loads, so they don't need or want the boss....and , as stated, the brake wasn't very effective..there are better mousetraps.

As for the poly choke.... It worked GREAT.
When patterned against a 15 inch sawed off shotgun it had a BIGGER pattern.
When patterned against a FULL CHOKE it shot HALF as big.

It's like a stereo...give a guy an on/off button and a volume button and he will be happy with it til it breaks.
Give him a stereo with 1200 buttons and knobs and equalizers and do dads he will constantly be changing and fiddeling and NEVER be satisfied. All he will have to hold on to is the fact that he spent a boat load of money on it and it MUST be good.

Just my .02,
Tod

I think the main reason the Boss does not dominate the industry today is because most hunters are happy with a 1-4" 100 yard groups with their hunting rifles. Most big game shots are done inside of 150 yards (probably within 75 yards) so they do not require sub minute of angle accuracy. That eliminates a lot of customers who would buy it. Long range tack drivers offers a limited customer base. I do agree that ALL vented recoil/flash suppressors are loud. Quality hearing protection is available for anyone shooting any weapon however. Poly choke for shot guns was a great gadget. It worked well but was also ugly like the boss. For the poor man with only one shotgun he can afford it did everything for him. Ugly but useful.

Last edited:
If they worked as intended it would have taken over the market and would still be dominating today. It didn't and it isn't is it?
As someone said earlier, the average hunter is happy to hit a pie plated at 100 yards so they wouldn't even notice the change in group size. They throw cheap factory ammo into the mix along with a tupperware stock and sporter thin barrels.....

The 300 WSM with the BOSS I had absolutely worked like a charm! I would shoot it with the ported BOSS at the range and put the BOSS CR on it with the same settings for hunting, worked GREAT.....

Last edited:
well if there was a patent on it , that it would have expired by now

the thing had to have some pros to it. Im surprised someone hasn't made another version of it without the cons

the one i tried worked , i loaded to near max and adjusted it to shoot , i may only have experience with one rifle but it was good

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.