About lost it at the range!

FEENIX

It was open range and was helping out an Airman break-in/sight-in his new rifle. Too many crazies despite 2 range safety officers.

Anyways, I was watching a guy shooting a Remington 7400 in .30-06 at a small target at 200 yards with nothing but the good old elbow support. Not really sure how he managed to hit the backing but apparently he was ~ 4" high but ran out of down adjustment on his elevation. He was trying to force the coin slot on a Leupy. Told him he bottomed out because of his see-through scope mounts.

He grabbed a pair of gloves and a vise grip off his truck and start adjusting his scope. It hurts too much to watch so I left.

Seams a group of rookies had three containers of tanerite but couldn't get it set off with shotguns or twenty two's.....even at a couple of feet =WOW!
We felt compelled to help with a couple rounds of 300WM -;)

thats gotta make you cringe when you see that. you just have to remind yourself that its not your money at least

Reminds me of a couple of months ago, A gentleman had a nice tikka .308 with a leupy on top. It was all brand spankin same day new. He couldn't get it to zero, he turned that leupy every which way. Later I looked his rifle over and his rings wasn't tight enough, and it slid in the rings and marred that brand new scope all to hell. I was sick. It was a beautiful combo (scope and rifle) but looked like the scope was used on ten different rifles by ten different people..

I can understand someone dealing with a package rifle deal. I bought a Savage package gun, the Nikon scope was decent enough although the rings were cheap. I spent $$ having a gunsmith swap the barrel to a wildcat I could not get a prefit for on my own (Indiana deer legal wildcat). Re-installed the package scope/rings torqued appropriately, and a dozen rounds later realized that the scope was moving in the rings AND one of the rings was loose on the base.

Bit the bullet and stole quality rings/scope from another rifle, problem solved.

But this example....yeah, often a bigger hammer is the solution but not always.

When I get close to bottoming out on my scope (like 5 clicks) it makes me cringe! Lol...I'm very weird and particular about my rifles and equipment, and pushing it to the limits bothers me. Another thing that drives me nuts is when guys have beautifully blued rifles and shotguns but they grab it by the barrel and don't wipe it down when they pack them up! I would have been yelling at that guy on the range! Good thing I wasn't there! Haha

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.