The little green 7mm AM strikes again!!!

BB,

I agree, this deer is very tan colored, actually more of a red to be honest which is pretty rare up here for a deer of this age and this time of year. He will make a beautiful shoulder mount.

I am sad to say "Little Green" missed for the first time though. Not the rifles fault though, **** pilot error. Need to get that sling off so its out of the way of the rear bag.

Kirby Allen(50)

XP,

Thanks for the kind words. He is not my biggest buck but he is my biggest 4x4 whitetail so far. He is right up there with my heaviest buck though as far as mass is concerned. I will post some more pics to show his mass better.

Kirby Allen(50)

Shawn,

Ya know its funny, when I took this rifle to the range the first couple times at 100 yards I was not overly impressed with it as far as accuracy was concerned. It is a legit 5/8" to 3/4" rifle at 100 yards. Being as it was a very light weight rifle for its level of power I was happy with that and was just going to limit it to 600 yards and under hunting for a general purpose rifle.

Well, since that time I have gotten her out at long range and have been totally amazed what it has done at longer ranges.

If you had asked me after those two range session if I would be using the rifle past 600 yards I would have laughed at you.

Now it has chalked up the following one shot kills on big game, 300 yard pronghorn, 600 yard pronghorn, 730 yard pronghorn and a 745 yard whitetail. Yes the deer was a two shot afair but that was my fault not the rifles.

I guess thats why I tell my customers that they should test any load that will consistantly print under 3/4 moa at 100 yards with these extremely long heavy Wildcat Bullets at longer range because they will suprise you most of the time.

I have one more important shot to pull off this year and hopefully you will be witness to it!!

Very excited now about coming down to hunt with you!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Slopeshunter,

I have been published many time for my articles dealing with 50 BMG rifles but never for standard big game hunting articles. THere are better writters out there for that!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the kind words.

Kirby Allen(50)

Nice buck Kirby! Great shootin' as usual. "Little green" is making quite a name for herself, I hope I can fondle her some day. Good luck with Shawn over in Ideeho! Cant wait to hear the story on that hunt.
God Bless
Jim

Mike / TX,

Yep, its hard to find an old mature buck that is even, tall, relatively wide and heavy. I got lucky on this big boy!! Very thankful.

Look forward to hearing what your hunting season produces!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Mountainsheep,

Thanks for your kind words. Its a huge luxury to be able to let a younger deer pass by knowing that there is a good chance you will see him again in a couple years down the road. In many areas that is not the case which is to bad but more common then not.

There are many on this board that are vastly superior to me in taking difficult shots. You will notice I get many kills in the 600-800 range but not over 1000 yards yet. While many on this board are far surpassing the ranges I shoot at because of their extreme skill level.

Like everyone else on the board I am trying to improve my skills as well. Just because you build quality rifles does not mean you are inherantly a better shot then anyone else!!! I need as much practice as anyone and at this time am more then willing to pass on any questionable shots for my skill levels where they currently are as I know everyone on this board would also do.

THanks for the kind words.

Kirby Allen(50)

Magicofmt,

I assure you my friend, someday we will hunt Mule deer together. It would just be better to have a couple light weight 338 AMs ready to roll when that big mule deer buck shows up at the end of the day at 1500 yards!!! You know what I mean!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IT will happen, I will be more then willing to take you up on the offer.

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,

The first impression I got looking at the first picture of your buck was it was a nice buck but then the side views really show off his great height. Your buck is a great trophy in anyones book!!!

Yes, its nice not having any bugs around. THey do not do so well at 0 degrees!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Samson,

We hunt about 25 miles west of Great Falls, MT. Its about 20 miles off the west slopes of the Rocky Mountain front in the beautiful Sun River valley.

Thanks for the kind words.

Kirby Allen(50)

Srhaggerty,

We are lucky to hunt on private ground surrounded by a huge ranch where very little hunting is allowed. The animals are not often on the property we can hunt but when they come across, they are often big critters.

Good luck this season,

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,

All I got left is the moose hunt for my wife. Now that will be a pretty short range hunt. But I am anxious to see what the 277 and those big 195's will do.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.