The MOAG strikes again(1,066 yards)

You've been a busy fellow this year. Good report as usual. I'm planning a buffalo shooting on a private ranch in about a month here in BC. I'll use a 325 gr mag tip tappered jacket bonded core wildcat bullet liikely at 1/10 of the range at which you took yours. Santa came early for me this year. When I spoke to Richard the 300 gr bullets still wern't ready, but I wanted a lifetime supply of 325 gr so I got 300. Alos I got a new digital camera when I figure how to use it I'll post a pic or two of the 325 grainers. Are you still going for elk?

Thanks Al.

I bet the wildcat bullets will work great. Bison don't seem terribly tuff to kill anyway. One guy hunting out there in Montana kills one every year with a 25-06!

Sorry to hear about the 300 grainers. I was told a year ago that they weren't ready and the dies had problems. I would surely like to try some as well.

Good luck with the camera. Mine came with a volumes of instructions in 7 different languages. I just skipped it and started pushing buttons!

Elk are safe for another 9 months. The last trip turned into more of a vacation from urban life than a hunt. Oh, well, can't win them all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GG, Actually "A River runs through it" was a film about the Little Blackfoot river between Lincoln and Missoula, however, it was filmed mostly on the Gallatin River. Same neck of the woods though, the Gallatin, the Madison, and the Jefferson meet near Three Forks to form the mighty Missouri, another premier fly fishing stream. That country looks mighty familiar to me, I dont suppose you shot that buff on the DD ranch north of Big Sky did you? Anyway, enough of the Montana trivia, nice buff and good pics and story, Thanks.
Jim

**** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

GG between you and Kirby I am getting jealous as hell. All we have here in Oklahoma is wind and grass fires and you guys get ot shoot big ol buffalo and hogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kindin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good story and good shot. I bet that trip was a lot of fun and it looks like the land was gorgeous. Someday I will get to see Montana, someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What was the exit wound like, the moag must of had a pretty good amount of retained energy at that range. I was amazed to see the exit wound on BJ's buck at 503yds with the 240gr SMK, i bet that 300gr had a pretty good thump to it.

take it easy
steve

goodgrouper,

It appears as though a portion of barrel is bedded and the action and the rest of the barrel float.

When you do that do you have any problems due to heat or expansion in the cartridge/throat area?

thanks,

edge.

I'm sure you know, but watch the heat on those bison steaks. It's pretty tricky not getting them tough as leather. Thats why I mostly ground it or put it in the crock pot. Tenderloins come out OK on the BBQ if you do it right. Hate to see you dissapointed with it.
Thanks for the pics. Nice little break from my cubicle.

MTBA & Alremkin

Not everyone has an easy time with shooting a buffalo. Some of us are very good friends with Murphy. If you should anger one at close range you may be in for a very bad time.

Hard to kill buffalo

Other point that Ian M. mentioned but I didn't. Cape goes bad very fast. It was debateable whether the tanner was going to be able to keep the hide whole on mine but he worked hard on it and saved the whole thing and charged me accordingly. The carcass is the same way. It is huge and does not cool down easily. On a ranch I guess they will have equipment to deal with it, but if you are on your own you just have to deal with those big hind legs and not let them stay warm.

If you wind up having to gut the animal on the ground you are in for a surprise and I will let it be a surprise.

Enjoy your hunt.

****, the scenery made me drool. As far as your kill, I'm not surprised anymore when I see such threads from you, its to be expected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for posting pics and making most of us very jealous. I am always in awe when I see how big that rifle is.

Thanks for the river trivia. Actually, I have been doing quite a bit of trivia research on Montana since our trip there. Very good state for the most part, except for the liberal Commifornians moving in and trying to impose their beliefs on everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The action floats and all the barrel ahead of the barrel block floats. The whole thing is held together by the barrel block of which the bottom half is glued to the stock.

The aluminum barrel block may hold in some heat. It is becoming clear that it does have some insulating properties. Maybe we will have it fluted one of these days.

Thanks for the heads up. I have eaten buff before but not of my own cooking. I will watch it closely. Is it better to cook slowly under low heat or sear it quickly under high heat to lock in the juices?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks man.

It really is a good place to unwind and maybe even take in some hunting or fishing too!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of moving out there soon. Any jobs available? Farm/ranch work? I need to get away from this lifestyle in ohio. Ive been saying that for 5 years and Im not getting any younger. I'll be 32 in a couple weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Colorado would be nice too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.