Kirby joojoo strikes again in wv

Ridge Runner

My mother-n-law asked for a young doe to cut up for steaks, well tue one appeared against the ridge I was watching, got set up, ranged her at 503 yds, well the bipod was a bit toohigh so I had to raise the butt of the stock just a hair but thought it was good enough, well I missed! course you all know the things that go through your mind at these times, I refigured everything, assured myself all was correct and went on hunting. then fri I was watching another ridge and spotted a doe bedded down, watched her for a bit through the binocs and decided she was a young doe, and I would take her if possible. set-up (made sure everything was rock solid) range was 375 yds, a fer poke for deer around here. made my adjustments and got behind the rifle.
As I watched through the scope I saw she was laying facing left, with her head curled around her body I know head shots are a bad idea but as I looked I saw that if the shot went high of POA, I'd spine her, and if it went low I'd miss so I settled the crosshairsjust below her eye and messaged the trigger. Saw the 160 nosler impact exacly where I held, her head and neck spun around straight with her body and she was still, the doe bedded beside her didn't even get up.
The 160 accubond hit exactly at POA, completely penetrated the head and re-entered with a perfect double lung shot at about .338 diameter or maybe a bit bigger, and still completely penetrated the chest cavity.
RR

Good for you.

I went hunting for two hours this morning (which was opening day in Maryland) in a place where I could shoot about 1100-1300yds. But when it got daylight there was hunter orange all along the ridgeline of the mountian side I wanted to shoot at so I just gave it up as a bad plan and went home.

Hmmmm Not sure to know how to take the comment about western hunters not knowing what a pumpkin patch is, I am from southwest colorado and believe me we see it all the time also. If you dont get 4 or 5 miles off the roads all you see is orange. Anyway good luck hunting in the future and just shoot between the pumpkins, LOL just joking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

elkstalker300,
The problem is out east in most places you can't get 4 or 5 miles from a road because there are roads everywhere and public lands are usually measured (with the exception of a few big national forests) in hundreds OR thousands of acres instead of hundreds OF thousands of acres. That is why all of us guys drive 1000-2000 miles or more each fall out west to chase the wapiti and other critters. We collectively envy the wealth of public land in the west.

Where do you hunt in SW Colorado by the way? I have hunted Unit 62 the last couple of years for elk.

Hope you had good luck this fall.

Regards,
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.