6.5 WSSM strikes again

winmagman

This one **** near killed me. Got up this morning, got dressed, got my gear together, checked the temp (1 degree) and headed out the door. Got out where I wanted to be about 15 min. before light and was getting cold about an hour later, always seems to happen when the actions slow.
Decided that I'd try some spot and stalk through the limited cover I have access to. Started down to a dry waterway and was sneaking through it when a truck stops on the road 400 yds behind me and backs up, they seem to be looking at the far end of the waterway. When I get to the end I begin to suspect why, out the end is a very fresh set of rather large tracks in the snow, they're heading uphill towards a farm I don't have access to. However, I do have access to 230 acres that make an "L" around this farm and I know from past experience the deer often go right out the other end of that farm onto the land I can hunt. So I Start making track toward the other end of the feild then turn left up the hill, when I hit the crest of the hill I slow and start looking for deer. It didn't take two minutes to find him, but he's still on the other farm and is quartering away into the thick brush. I figure if I can get to the bottom of the valley I might be able to get a shot at him if he crosses the fence further in the woods. So down the hill I start, didn't take 15 steps and up goes a doe a little to my right on the land I can hunt, I figured that was it I'm busted, she ran about 30 yds into the woods and stopped. I look over at the buck expecting to see a tail going through the woods and he has his nose in the air heading straight for the doe. I dive down in the snow drop the legs on the bipod, and wait for him to cross the fence. He didn't waste any time getting over to where the doe was. By now I'm panting like a dog from trotting though the snow to get here, I'm sweating so bad the when I get to close to the scope it wants to fog up, and my fingers are so cold I can't adjust the power on my scope and can barely take the safety off. When he finally stopped I put one through the top of both shoulders(didn't want him recrossing the fence) and down he went. The range was 190 yds and the Scirocco went right on through. And that was just the beginning, had to drag him about 400yds uphill before I could get to him with the ATV. That's the part that nearly killed me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
ebc65f66.jpg

Chris

Chris, nice hunt.

was it the 130 g. scirocco?? Have you tried it at LR??

Chris,

Great story, always good to hear about a successful adventure and the trials & tribulations that make it so memorable. Congratulations on the buck, nice rack. Tell us more about your experiences with the Scirocco; I'm hoping to build a 6.5mm to get the benefit of that bullet's high b.c.m but I keep hearing mixed reviews.
Good shooting,
Dave

alg
yes it's the 130 gr, with a .571 advetised b.c I thought it would be tough enough for up close but still be relativly flat for reaching out there. My WSSM is set up as a light weight carry gun and as such I have only shot it out to 400 yds. I also have a 6.5-284 that I tried the Scirocco in but wasn't impressed enough with the 100 yd groups to try any long range shooting. (I'm eagerly awaiting the 130 gr Accubond for both rifles)

Mountainsheep
I'm finding the Scirocco to be a "difficult child" It took lots of load developement to find load that barely went sub-moa, most loads shot 1"-2". It also seems to foul more than the 140 gr SMK, SST, or Amax, even in the 26" Rock Creek barrel on the 6.5-284, this one never seemed to foul until the Sciroccos. On the bright side you don't have to worry about hitting a heavy bone with this bullet, it just goes right through.

The WSSM has acounted for 3 deer this season, one broadside double lung shot with an exit slightly larger than a nickle, one spine shot with an exit slightly larger than a quarter, and one high shoulder shot with an exit about quarter sized.

Pretty limited study so far but I'm still working on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Chris

P.S. Muzzle velocity is a pretty tame 2720 fps, thats where the best accuracy was.

Wow...you must be parked on onw heck of a hill?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nice buck.

I worked with a .277" version of the WSSM and was getting close to your numbers. From memory, 140gr Hornady BTSP's were around 2650 to 2750-ish fps.

Chris, nice buck, I see the cwd tag. You must still have a season left. I grew up in Lodi, shot a nice buck there last December. Good luck with the rest of the hunt. I'm headed for ND tomorrow, coyotes are waiting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Coyboy
Yup I've got one weekend left, and I'll be out both days.

I spend a good deal of time up by Lodi each summer, Crystal is one of my favorite lakes to fish.

Good luck in ND, wish I were going, would love to pile up some yotes.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.