The Facebook crazies

What are some of the great fallacies you've heard on Facebook or other sites pertaining to long range shooting? Sometimes I try to help, then I wonder why I bother.

I saw one guy comment that "I got the 5r rifling so I don't need the faster twist for heavy bullets"

"The 300wm is an antiquated round that performance can be matched by cartridges not having to burn 70gr of powder"

What else y'all got, I want a good laugh.
anybody who shoots a 308 is just dumb. its an old, antique round, but the 6.5 creedmore is newer so it shoots better out to 300. one of my favs

anybody who shoots a 308 is just dumb. its an old, antique round, but the 6.5 creedmore is newer so it shoots better out to 300. one of my favs

Lol I had a guy basically say that to me in person.
I think it went like, "why would you bother, sure it can do anything but it's not really suited to anything either."
I asked him what he shot thunking it would be a 7mmmag(no offense) for sure but he's like, "243"
I laughed.

Last edited:
That's funny quite a few years back there was a myth that anyone who shot a 30-06 was handicapped, you needed to shoot a 308 if you wanted to shoot far and accurate.
It will always be the same the new thing is what everyone wants, it's the best, bla bla bla. You know what I mean. At the time in the Eighties I was shooting my 06 with 165 gr BT bullets @ 3100 fps out of a 24" Sako Finnbear, still have same rifle and a twin to it. Both rifles still shoot 165 gr bullets now there Nosler Balistic Tip and Accubonds at the same speed with sub moa at 100 yards with 5. (usually 1/2" to 3/4" ctc on days I do my part)
I've had some 308's they shoot good too, just slower. The 06 is an in between Cartridge now, seems if you want less recoil you shoot 308 and if you want more distance you shoot 300 WM. que sera sera :rolleyes:

He does, and he also shoots a 7mm (I know I take after my dad), but he's already busy being president of the 22-250 Ackley Improved supporter club. You'll have to take my place;)
OK I will, do I get a patch and a special hat and a Jacket with picture of a 6.5 Creed peeing on a 300 WM? :cool:

I ran into a guy that told me his friend shoots at a mile all the time with his 7mm Mag and it takes a full 8 seconds for the sound to travel back after a hit. :confused:

I ran into a guy that told me his friend shoots at a mile all the time with his 7mm Mag and it takes a full 8 seconds for the sound to travel back after a hit. :confused:
well, how bout that, the worlds slowest sound...660 fps. i swear a lot of people on these webpages ( especially FB), need a mental health checkup.

I couldn't resist and did some math. With 2 sec of bullet flight and the speed of sound at 1100fps it would take 6.8 seconds for the report to get back. 2sec bullet flight was an estimate.

Steve

Exaggerating always helps a story...
I couldn't resist and did some math. With 2 sec of bullet flight and the speed of sound at 1100fps it would take 6.8 seconds for the report to get back. 2sec bullet flight was an estimate.

Steve
If it's -35 it would be closer to 8 seconds lol

That's funny quite a few years back there was a myth that anyone who shot a 30-06 was handicapped, you needed to shoot a 308 if you wanted to shoot far and accurate.
It will always be the same the new thing is what everyone wants, it's the best, bla bla bla. You know what I mean. At the time in the Eighties I was shooting my 06 with 165 gr BT bullets @ 3100 fps out of a 24" Sako Finnbear, still have same rifle and a twin to it. Both rifles still shoot 165 gr bullets now there Nosler Balistic Tip and Accubonds at the same speed with sub moa at 100 yards with 5. (usually 1/2" to 3/4" ctc on days I do my part)
I've had some 308's they shoot good too, just slower. The 06 is an in between Cartridge now, seems if you want less recoil you shoot 308 and if you want more distance you shoot 300 WM. que sera sera :rolleyes:
I just had an argument with a guy that said a 308 was better suited for long range than a 30-06. I asked how so he sai cause they shoot bigger bullets faster after 300 yards. And that the harmonics in the barrel will make the 30-06 bullets start to tumble after 400 yards. I was so baffled by his retardation that I didn't even reply again.

I just had an argument with a guy that said a 308 was better suited for long range than a 30-06. I asked how so he sai cause they shoot bigger bullets faster after 300 yards. And that the harmonics in the barrel will make the 30-06 bullets start to tumble after 400 yards. I was so baffled by his retardation that I didn't even reply again.
Wow. That's special. Makes me so far what goes through their brains (if they have one)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.