The Facebook crazies

I have no intention of getting into a ****ing match over this. What is acceptable to me is my business, not yours.

As for your contention that long range hunting is inherently risky, it's only as risky as the shooter allows. If the shooter does his homework, obtains the best equipment his budget allows, and practices his craft until he is capable- then WAITS for the perfect opportunity to carry out a long range shot on game- there is no more risk in long range hunting than any other.

The fact is, that's why most of us are here- to learn how to do the best we can at long range shooting so we can do the best we can at long range hunting.

I would bet that most on this site take the majority of their game at more moderate distances, but joining in this forum builds the ability to shoot long if the shot presents itself.

Nobody wants to wound an animal, and your argument that that head shots are usually either lethal or complete misses is valid but since you limit it to 300 yards, this is the wrong forum.

One last thing. You call me hypocritical for not taking head shots when I'm commenting on a long range hunting site, yet you yourself apparently limit them to 300 yards.

Doesn't that make YOU hypocritical?

No, I agree with most all of this. I try not to be hypocritical. I don't have a problem with someone taking legit shots within their skill set when they've put in the time. Well, some of the shots I don't agree with, but I'm not going to hammer someone for it. Like you said, what's acceptable to others really isn't my business.

It is a long range hunting forum, you are right, but it's not limited to big game. I don't shoot deer or elk at longer ranges for the most part, because of where I live, the opportunities throughout the season we get, the reason I shoot them and I guess how I was taught. When I said under 300, thats because that's about as far as I feel comfortable to head shoot something, thats the edge of my skill set. Past that, I would put one behind the shoulder no problem if that was the right circumstances.

Wolves, coyotes and varmints...that is a different story. That's why I am apart of the long range hunting community, not for deer or elk. That's just me though, I understand why others do it.

All I'm trying to say is that there's no more risk in head shooting something at your comfortable range than there is shooting something behind the shoulder at a long range you are comfortable with. Wind and time flight alone make it more risky. We all know there are times when wind shifts happen between point a and b that we can't see and you can't control what the animal will do before the bullet gets there.

I think the 6.5 CM hits harder after a mile because it starts picking up speed exponentially at about 1000 yards which also increases the mass to the 10th power. The only thing we have to worry about is it could create a paradox and a hole in the time space continuum. A lot of people don't know that. o_O
It's a conspiracy!

I think the 6.5 CM hits harder after a mile because it starts picking up speed exponentially at about 1000 yards which also increases the mass to the 10th power. The only thing we have to worry about is it could create a paradox and a hole in the time space continuum. A lot of people don't know that. o_O
You laugh funny man but I was just at some military trials testing a new 6.5 Creedmore rifle that has new technology. The back of the bullet has a hollow cavity that has a rocket assist that is ignited by the powder charge. Muzzle velocity is 2900 fps but gains speed to about 1,000 yards. Probably won't get invited again after posting this photo:

Attachments

• 175C1598-B47F-4965-813F-0B168AE0A6A7.jpeg
    175C1598-B47F-4965-813F-0B168AE0A6A7.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 193
Guy shooting his 308 with mixed headstamp out to 400yds getting 8" groups and wanting to stretch it out to 800-1000. Asking if getting lapua will help.

Somebody's answer.

"It's a very insignificant difference I wouldn't worry about unless you're shooting extreme long range...which 308 is not capable of."

Got a call from a friend last night. He told me his brother has a friend who is a gun guru. We can all be relieved that those of us who dislike recoil can switch to a 6.5 Creedmoor. It has more power than a 7 Rem Mag and only drops 1" at 500 yards.

I can hardly wait till I can shoot again. The stock for my Creedmoor should be here by March and I can start taking advantage of 21st century technology ballistics.:)

Got a call from a friend last night. He told me his brother has a friend who is a gun guru. We can all be relieved that those of us who dislike recoil can switch to a 6.5 Creedmoor. It has more power than a 7 Rem Mag and only drops 1" at 500 yards.

I can hardly wait till I can shoot again. The stock for my Creedmoor should be here by March and I can start taking advantage of 21st century technology ballistics.:)
Are you sure it drops that much, I did't think it even started to drop until 1000 yards.

Another thing I see come across Facebook is all the Creedmoor haters who still think the 308 is superior. They refuse to give it up. Ive never see so much hate towards one particular cartridge. I mean good Lord people it's only a rifle cartridge. These idiots sound like they'll rip your head off as soon as you even mention the creed. Had one guy tell me the grendel was right on the creeds butt lol. I've just decided that most of the people who hate it have zero experience with it nor know anything about it. Thenni love the 6.5x284 guys who always compare it to the creed. Not even the same class cartridge.
pretty sure 308 shooters don't " hate " anything, they just see a lot of humor in the infatuation with creedmores. they get all starry eyed and act like its the best thing since cotton candy.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts