The 6.5 Something NOW Has A Name!

It's a 2 step throat. Reduces initial pressure and let's you run a bit faster.
You will get mixed response whether it's more accurate or not. The bullet engraves half the rifling and then moves forward and then engages the full height of the rifling. I've had great luck with it. Or is it luck.🤣
Shep

The Blaser case is a beautiful case to play with and definitely worthy of playing, I've set them up to a 40 degree shoulder with .002 thou crush on new brass, going a true .004 like ackley is to much crush with that brass. I would take some taper out to help with bolt thrust but I would be modest with it and don't get crazy so you don't have to run so much clearance on your dies in back and that norma brass will last better. The Blaser case is a very nice parent case and I've seen stunning accuracy from the builds on it, thee smallest group I've shot at 1000 yards was a 7 Blaser improved and it shot smaller than my 1000 yard BR gun in a Dasher, it will out shoot anything you build on belted brass by the way!!
Throating I would talk with Steve about, the regular Hammer I would just build a dummy round and send it to Sarah but with the Absalute Hammer you could run a shorter throat probably, personally I like the bullet to be engaging the lands before the neck quits guiding the bullet. Personally I go .0008 over bullet diameter for my throat diameter.

The Blaser case is a beautiful case to play with and definitely worthy of playing, I've set them up to a 40 degree shoulder with .002 thou crush on new brass, going a true .004 like ackley is to much crush with that brass. I would take some taper out to help with bolt thrust but I would be modest with it and don't get crazy so you don't have to run so much clearance on your dies in back and that norma brass will last better. The Blaser case is a very nice parent case and I've seen stunning accuracy from the builds on it, thee smallest group I've shot at 1000 yards was a 7 Blaser improved and it shot smaller than my 1000 yard BR gun in a Dasher, it will out shoot anything you build on belted brass by the way!!
Throating I would talk with Steve about, the regular Hammer I would just build a dummy round and send it to Sarah but with the Absalute Hammer you could run a shorter throat probably, personally I like the bullet to be engaging the lands before the neck quits guiding the bullet. Personally I go .0008 over bullet diameter for my throat diameter.
I agree with the .0003 over a half. These days bullets are not the diameter they are supposed to be sometimes.

Johnny it's important to me too but the bore rider is still contaversial with gunsmiths and shooters. I personally really like them but like I said before you will probably find more that don't. And maybe it's because they never used one or don't understand them. Look how long the
1° 30 throat has been around compared to it. Takes awhile for things to catch on even when it works so good. And it's also just my opinion here saying I like them and it works for me.
Shep

It's important to me too but the bore rider is still contaversial with gunsmiths and shooters. I personally really like them but like I said before you will probably find more that don't. And maybe it's because they never used one or don't understand them. Look how long the
1° 30 throat has been around compared to it. Takes awhile for things to catch on even when it works so good. And it's also just my opinion here saying I like them and it works for me.
Shep

OK Bigandgreen, Emerson and highdrum - you lost me. I've got the 40° shoulder part and reducing taper. The rest?
You'll want 5k clearance from loaded neck to chamber neck, 0.0008-0.001 clearance on freebore. The 7blaser already has a long neck so I'd think freebore in the 0.160-0.190" range will be more than sufficient.

OK Bigandgreen, Emerson and highdrum - you lost me. I've got the 40° shoulder part and reducing taper. The rest?
The rest is details based on bullet, brass and your desired prep for your goals.
I go through a lot of dummy rounds figuring out what I want, if the brass is not consistent in the neck and I'm wanting long range precision then I'll spec the neck at .003 or .002 so I can trim and end up at my preferred .004 thou clearance, if the brass is good and I'm wanting a minimal work set up I'll spec at .004 neck clearance. I don't like to size down more than that in one step, larger can be better in a case with significant carbon issues but then you can bring in other issues as well there.

Free bore diameter again I look at the bullets, measure the pressure ring and such, I'll go up to a thou over bullet diameter but I've settled on .0008 for my preference on what I'm doing.
One thing you need to remember is monos are generally very tight spec'ed so if I'm setting up a reamer for just those I'll maybe back of to .0005 again but only maybe, but you don't have to look for pressure rings or that stuff.
Bore riders have come and gone a bunch of times, been there done that and it's a good tool for some specific reasons but over all it's a novelty that comes with its own bag of issues and remember the AH bullet basically has that built in so you have some leeway on your throating, I personally would be shorter with them so the hand of is clean than jumping them a long ways, but if your chamber is perfect you can jump them long and maintain accuracy.

Any updates to this thread? Thinking I'll do a 6.5 rogue (37*) blown out like my 7mm with an 18"-20" barrel and suppressed.

Well, no, but I haven't given up. I've abandoned the 7mm Blaser case, but might yet go with the 300 PRC improved. Waiting on friends' results with the 26 Nosler. Depending upon their results, I may yet go forward🙄

Well, no, but I haven't given up. I've abandoned the 7mm Blaser case, but might yet go with the 300 PRC improved. Waiting on friends' results with the 26 Nosler. Depending upon their results, I may yet go forward🙄
6.5 Sherman mag is just that, 6.5 long prc improved. Extremely overbore still. It'll basically be a 26nosler. Now that adg is making 7lrm brass, I'd think that'd be a sweet case. It holds 4-5 gr more Than a 7blaser.

Recent Posts