Texas Hogs?

idaho elk hunter

I finally took time off work and booked a Texas Hog hunt. On Jan 22 I am going to Rustic River Ranch to see if I can bag a few. Has anyone had any luck with Rustic River Ranch? How is Childress Texas for hogs?:rolleyes:

I live upstream from them on the North Pease River and I've got hogs. The Pease usually runs the year around so it is prime habitat with lots of brush for hiding. I'm sure they have some I just don't know how many. Some places have more now than before the drouth so you will just have to ask.

Idaho,
Well, is there any way you can get your money back at this late of a date? The 3 days spent there will be forever burned in my memory as something I never want to duplicate again! Now I've been in some mighty strange places, but this one is about the strangest I've ever been in. First of all if you go back into their web site, you see all the pictures of people with Deer, Hogs, Pheasant, etc. Notice any family resemblance? Those pictures represent about 5 years worth of game for the entire family. That is to say, that is ALL the game they have shot on that ranch in 5 years! And their 3rd or 4th picture show a crop field with a dirt strip down the middle? Well, that's the airstrip where you land. Another thing, notice there are 4 bedrooms in the lodge with 12 bunks in each room….OK thought I could handle that, similar to the Squad Bays in the old Army. BUT, 3 bathrooms for a possible 48 people? Not only that, but notice they say to bring your own toiletries? Well, they mean ALL necessary toiletries! The toilet paper dispensers are coin operated and you only get 2 squares for a quarter! Hopefully by now, they've upgraded them to accept dollar bills, but there were a few times I would have killed for a dollar in change! Not only that, but the toilet paper is one grade above wax paper and is considered to be what we call John Wayne toilet paper…It just won't take no **** off anyone. One poor guy brought 4 or 5 hunting magazines and when we left 3 days later, all he had were the front and back cover. As I recall, the owners referred to it as their "Pay as you go" plan. Won't even discuss the food!

Could go on like this forever, but better fess up, I've never been to the lodge or ranch! Thought the town sounded familiar, looked it up and have been through there coming from a family reunion in Arkansas, going around Dallas heading for Amarillo to pick up the I-40 back to Fort Irwin, near Barstow, California and I think we laid over in Childress because they had a Best Western Motel, but not real sure. As far as the country, you know how Idaho has rolling hills, covered in grass and Evergreen forests as you climb in elevation, well, that isn't anywhere close!

Anyway, you have a good trip and be sure to give us all a report when you get back. Sure hope it isn't as I described. Get lots of hogs! AND remember, Packrats ARE a protected species in Idaho......:D

Packrat
Mouse.gif

Thanks for the replies. I sure hope it is not a disaster! I had a horrible hunt with Jim Arnold on the Creek Ranch in Florida. Three hogs killed and none went over 25 lbs!:rolleyes: I hope this does not turn out like that one! I am spoiled here in Idaho for our excellent hunting and the abundance opportunities. Idaho just does not have hogs!

Please keep us posted. Im headed back to hog heaven in Florida in one week can't wait. Killed 23 pig in three days myself 63 as a group. I would love to try Texas but every time I try they seem to think their hogs are special cause they seem to want a fortune. If I could find a place with a flat reasonable rate in Texas I would take some time to help them with the problem. Hell I even carry my own insurance so the liability is zero and still have no luck getting on a place that really needs hogs removed.

I am taking off tomorrow and driving down. I also booked a hunt for a two day Crane, Duck, Goose hunt by Plainsville Texas in the panhandle. I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Rustic River was our choice for a few reasons. $495 for a 3 day hunt with the additional 2 days at $95 a day. And they have other land available if there are no hogs in the "normal" areas. I chose this time of year due to hardly any landowners allow hog hunting during deer season which ended on Dec 31. I hope they multiplied over 3.5 months and are immune to the sound of a firearm.

I can tell you this much,,, I am going to give them my best shot of a lead injection to push them into the BBQ.

I will post on my findings and success.:D

Man I would love to go Hog Huntin. I live in Northern Ohio and if anybody ever needs a partner to split expenses with then I'm the guy. I went to Dallas Ga. in 2012 and hunted Pine Log WMA, 2 days of hunting and saw 2 deer and not a single hog, pretty disappointed.

Im always down to slay some pigs. I'M leaving next week to take out some more in Florida. Gonna try for 30 in four days did 23 last year. Can't wait super excited even more for that than my new f-150 ive been waiting for since August.

I just arrived in Texas am hunting in Plainview for 2 days for waterfowl. Then 5 days of hogs with Rustic River. Where in Florida are you hunting any recommendations? Sounds like a successful area!

I always do hog heaven in Labelle Florida by fort Meyers. We have had good and fantastic years. They have several properties. The main one is a cattle ranch the buy pigs from the area and release them on the property so never a shortage. They have pen hunts from stand or stalk. With several free range stands also. Very straight forward and honest owner. No surprises. I do recommend staying at a hotel if you have a larger group. I will hopefully be posting pics afterwards. Good luck on your and let us know. Always looking for a new place to hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.