Hogs Take over Texas

If the State DNR wants to reduce the Hog problem it can be done, but there are to many farmers who bitch about the Hogs, but oh no we cant let you hunt on our farms. Just make a big drive to roust them from hiding and run them into a pen and kill every one. If they were to set up a trap that is 300ft square with doors for them to enter but they cant escape this would help a lot.
But you need the cooperation from many farmers. There are to many farmers who bring this problen on them selves.

I really don't want to get in to a ****ing match here but Texas spends hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to kill hogs with aircraft and people. This is not counting what public hunters and trappers kill and I promise you it is a SMALL amount compared to what is killed with aircraft both State and private.

KC, I don't mean to offend you but you know very little about feral hogs and the hunting/trapping of them. They don't herd like sheep! They are smarter than other animals in that they learn from the mistakes of others. I've only got 35 years experience dealing with them.

In this area we have ranches like the 6666, the Pitch Fork, the Matador Ranch as well as the Tongue River ranch that have hundreds of thousands of acres of land and if they begged every "hog hunter" to help them out it would not make a dent in the current population. This doesn't include the "little" ranches of 20,000 acres or less.

I really can't blame other farmers and ranchers for not wanting unknown hunters on their places because I myself have lost livestock to hunters. The person that shot my calf worked for the DEA and you would think someone with that kind of experience would know what they were doing. To put the shoe in the other foot how many people that live in town would let you a complete stranger swim in their pool if you knocked on their door and asked them? I'd bet none would take you up on it. Same difference!!!

Thank you Coy.
I will be the first to say, I know very little about the Hog, the farmers I know just set us in tree stands and say shoot every one you see. Some gut shoot them and they run off and die or kill them and drag them into the woods. The ones we shoot if there around 100lbs they butcher them and send the meat out to familys. But they make a good target.
If I get out this spring and go south, I hope we stay for two weeks. The people who we have met want us to shoot any hog we see. I just cant stand the heat, bugs, ticks, etc...

Thank you again Coy.

Thank you Coy.
I will be the first to say, I know very little about the Hog, the farmers I know just set us in tree stands and say shoot every one you see. Some gut shoot them and they run off and die or kill them and drag them into the woods. The ones we shoot if there around 100lbs they butcher them and send the meat out to familys. But they make a good target.
If I get out this spring and go south, I hope we stay for two weeks. The people who we have met want us to shoot any hog we see. I just cant stand the heat, bugs, ticks, etc...

Thank you again Coy.

I hope you get at least a hundred a day. I am truly grateful you have a place to hunt. I'd rather you stay at least a month. You can't kill too many!!

After yesterdays wildfire around Matador, TX anyone who wants hogs can have them already cooked. Just bring a sharp knife. They are easy to find too even from an airplane. Looks like they won't be coming back anytime soon either as there is nothing to eat for miles.

It burned over 50,000 acres in about 8 hours in a 35 to 50 mph wind. Over 10 miles long and over 8 miles wide.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.