South Texas Hogs

USAF Marksman

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice on places to go hunting near San Antonio, TX. My mom lives in Seguin and I visit her every 4-5 months as time allows. She's not much into the hunting scene and she doesn't seem to know anyone that is. I don't have money to go and pay for a "hunt", nor would I if I did, so I'm trying to find some public hunting land or anyone with land kind enough to let a fellow LRH try their luck at some hogs. I'm looking at heading down that way sometime this fall if I can. I'm Active Duty AF, and I have a 6 month old baby girl so I find time when I can. If anyone has any input I sure would appreciate it.

Tucker gun)

Tucker,
I kept waiting for someone to answer and no one ever did so guess I'll tell you what little I know.

Have your mom start letting people she knows that she has a son in the Air Force that would like to hunt some hogs. Word spreads fast in that part of Texas, but when the farmers need the Hogs removed, it may not be convenient for you. If you do get the chance, be sure that you really obey all the curtesy things that can keep you from ever getting asked back. Close all gates immediately! Don't leave any trash. etc. Check in before you go out to hunt or at least the night before fairly early (Some of them get up with the sun, some don't) and if you get some hogs, bring them back to the farmer because sometimes he knows someone that will want them. Even the big ones. If not, ask where he wants them disposed. Finally, if you decide to keep one or two of the small ones, (the big ones down there taste rank) ask where would be convenient for you to clean them. I know these are basic, but you'd be surprised at the number of farmers that carry a sour taste in their mouth from hunters, especially that close to San Antonio.

One of the farmers down in Sabinal allowed some hunters from San Antonio to hunt Hogs on his property since they were becoming a nuisance. He had a huge buck that he had almost raised as a pet, from a fawn, on the property which was fenced and posted. IT WAS NOT DEER SEASON and they told him they only wanted hogs. Apparently the buck heard the truck engine and stepped out next to the farm road. The farmer found the body only, the head and rack were gone, the next day. The word spread around and pretty soon almost all hunting was disallowed in that area. If you have a Deer tag, ask the farmer if you are allowed to take one down if you see one. If NO, honor his wishes.

If you prove to be a good guest, word will spread, but I will warn you about companions. One of the things that will get you blackballed quick is if one of your companions does something to violate the trust you have built up. Be very careful who you invite to go with you, if anyone. I had to shut down a hunt because of an Army Sergeant that thought he had the right to shoot up everything and anything in sight, to the point of actually shooting in the direction of a house where kids were playing.
I shut it down, went in by myself told the tenant farmer what had happened and that we (My brother and I) would be back later to get rid of the hogs. He understood and we still get to hunt that property.

For what it is worth and maybe a little late.

Packrat

Mouse.gif

Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice on places to go hunting near San Antonio, TX. My mom lives in Seguin and I visit her every 4-5 months as time allows. She's not much into the hunting scene and she doesn't seem to know anyone that is. I don't have money to go and pay for a "hunt", nor would I if I did, so I'm trying to find some public hunting land or anyone with land kind enough to let a fellow LRH try their luck at some hogs. I'm looking at heading down that way sometime this fall if I can. I'm Active Duty AF, and I have a 6 month old baby girl so I find time when I can. If anyone has any input I sure would appreciate it.

Tucker gun)

4J ranch in center Texas is fun. It's high fence with some HUGE hogs. There are all kinds of critters too. I saw deer, coyotes, raccoons, Bobcats. It's a blast. Tell him your military and its 100 bucks for a 12 hr hunt. If you google 4J ranch or Texas hog hunting he'll Pop up.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.