Hogs Take over Texas

I live South of Houston and am getting preped for 1 Sept. hunting season with my 300 WM. Still working up my round and may have found a lease within 2 hours of Houston. I am going to the Barns tipped TSX 180 grain for hunting and would appreciate and advice in getting ready for the season. gun)

Not much preparation required. Get a weapon you are familar with and variable scope that goes down to around 3 to 6 power for the early and late, low light, situations. The 300 WSM will do its part easily. If you want the meat, shoot the ones between 80 and 150 pounds in the lungs (shoulder) so they will bleed out. If you are not meat hunting, just shoot them in the head. They are pretty much creatures of habit and are good to follow patterns. Once you figure that out, just ambush them! A couple us went last week and got 6 over 2 days. All with 22-250 and 55 gr bullets. Good luck!!

Leaving 7/29/09 to go to our S. Texas lease to kill a few hogs. We see them on our game cameras 2AM in the morning. They get smart pretty fast and get nocturnal.

Hogs problems close to Dallas,tx? Just asking cause I know some folks an hour from Dallas.

And about CA? Supposively the 9th most powerful country in the world if it was a country instead of a state...they are also crushed with hogs. Landowners complain, we hunters come up offering a solution. Some landowner say sure, you can have as many hogs as you want for $500 ea... this is funny at first but....

Man, I need to read the Bible to clear my senses up.

Last edited:
I'm in Texas and I love it down here. Moved down here for my wife and don't regret it. Since I moved down here I have become almost obsessed with hog hunting, I finally have a rifle and wish I had a place to go and pluck a pig or two off, but I can only find the crazy expensive hog hunts of the super cheap unguided type of deals. I am looking for something in between. I am a fairly newly wed, and we are trying to start a family so funds are available, just limited. It's there an option for me? I'm in the Dallas area... Thanks for everything.

I'm in Texas and I love it down here. Moved down here for my wife and don't regret it. Since I moved down here I have become almost obsessed with hog hunting, I finally have a rifle and wish I had a place to go and pluck a pig or two off, but I can only find the crazy expensive hog hunts of the super cheap unguided type of deals. I am looking for something in between. I am a fairly newly wed, and we are trying to start a family so funds are available, just limited. It's there an option for me? I'm in the Dallas area... Thanks for everything.

Get out and drive arround to some of the big farms and talk to the farmers in person
most that have a problem with hogs destroying crops will be happy to let you shoot
them if they have a safe place.

I have talked to some that were apprehensive at first but when you assure them that
you will treat there land as if it were yours they will give in most of the time.

And if they do try and get them a small pig to eat (Cleaned) If they want it. if not you
have some good eating and the offer goes a long way. For this I like a young sow
some where less than 100 pounds.

After they get to know you thew will tell you of other ranches that will let you hunt.

J E CUSTOM

I actually did just that.
I drove around, and left letters in the mail boxes of the places I wanted to hunt.
I have a place to go now.
I left my cell, home, and email address.

Thank you so much! looks like I'm headed for a drive this weekend. Is there a time of year you find that hunting Hogs is best?

Thank you so much! looks like I'm headed for a drive this weekend. Is there a time of year you find that hunting Hogs is best?

Any time is good for hogs!!!! But They are more active in the winter and move arround out in
the open more.

Night time is the best time during the summer . In very large fields that have not been hunted much sometimes you can catch them in the fields.

Also after the first frost they will Taste/eat better and the parasites will be fewer + they will be
putting on there winter fat.

Young sows under 100 pounds are excellent to eat and larger ones make good sausage when
mixed with venison.

The 20 to 40lb (on the hoof) piglets are primo when barbecued or grilled Hole.

By the way, the best place to shoot a hog that you intend to eat is behind the shoulder so it
will bleed out better. If for sport, the head shot is the one I like except a trophy and they are
big boar's and the shoulder will put them down with out damage to the skull (They look great
bleached out with the tusk showing).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.