Testing Cases After Resizing?

I got a head space measurement kit coming from Hornady. I'm going to measure a once fired brass case vs the cases I sized. I will adjust the die to bump the shoulder back .002 from the spec of the once fired case.

So if I take a once fired case, put it in the head space gauge and zero it out, I can proceed to check all the cases I sized and set up due to bump shoulder back .002

thank you I measured OAL length with calipers and the case was in spec. Case head to shoulder for the 7mm STW per Hornady 10th edition is 2.89 and I measured 2.885.

I replied earlier in the thread that I chambered a factory round (Nosler Trophy Grade 175 grain ABLR) and it required the same amount of force to close the bolt. I guess there isn't a problem I just spend more time with my Tikkas and they are smoother than closing the bolt in the Sendero with a large 8mm case.
I'm not sure about your measurements and your Hornady data posted above is incorrect, and is not what my Hornady 10th edition manual reads. Case OAL is 2.85 and case trim length is 2.84. If your OAL is 2.885 after your resize you are not in spec.

Attachments

• E39C674C-E54C-4ED2-8067-DDABBF2ED497.jpeg
    E39C674C-E54C-4ED2-8067-DDABBF2ED497.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
I'm not sure about your measurements and your Hornady data posted above is incorrect, and is not what my Hornady 10th edition manual reads. Case OAL is 2.85 and case trim length is 2.84. If your OAL is 2.885 after your resize you are not in spec.

I misquoted in earlier post. Head to shoulder is 2.39 and I measured 2.3855

I don't want to complicate things for the OP, but this tool is one of the best things I purchased for reloading. It's caliber specific, but I only shoot 7 mags so it's perfect for my use.

BUT reading and understanding the reloading process is #1!

So if I take a once fired case, put it in the head space gauge and zero it out, I can proceed to check all the cases I sized and set up due to bump shoulder back .002
Somewhat correct.
Measure a fired case in comparator. Lube it. Size it. Wipe off lube. Measure case using comparator with correct sizer. And check for bump. .001-.002"
Repeat with several fired cases until your comfortable with a consistent bump. Check the brass in your rifle. Then go to sizing.
As a total newb, this is how an accomplished Reloader showed me to do it. Others may have a better technique.

To be even more tedious I measure the head to shoulder of EVERY sized case. Occasionally one will be too long so I size it again. That usually brings it into spec. Some are too short. These I use for fouling the bore after it is cleaned.

Bud the best thing you can do is stop right here and get a reloading manual and start reading, your gonna be so confused by the time this ends that you won't know what to do, don't worry about bumping your shoulder right now, concentrate on loading a live round correctly first, Keep it simple then work in to the rest
I couldn't agree more . I've taught a few guys how to reload . I try to get them to make basic functional ammo at first , then get into more advanced reloading . I'm not a video game player , my son was . he always talked about making it to the next level . this is how I think of reloading , making it to the next level . some guys just get it quicker than others . you have to walk , before you can run .

I didn't read all the responses that are posted , but the ones I read on bumping the shoulder ; nobody mentioned that first fired brass is not fully expanded . it needs to be neck sized only a few times to get it fully expanded , THEN you can use this fully expanded brass to set your full length die up to bump shoulders . if you're trying to set up on partially expanded brass you're just chasing your tail .

first fired brass is not fully expanded . it needs to be neck sized only a few times to get it fully expanded , THEN you can use this fully expanded brass to set your full length die up to bump shoulders . if you're trying to set up on partially expanded brass you're just chasing your tail .
+1. As an example I purchased another 100 rds. of 30-06 Lapua and headspace measured 2.044 which is .008 below headspace max and .001 below min so it makes no sense to worry about headspace until they grow.

I couldn't agree more . I've taught a few guys how to reload . I try to get them to make basic functional ammo at first , then get into more advanced reloading . I'm not a video game player , my son was . he always talked about making it to the next level . this is how I think of reloading , making it to the next level . some guys just get it quicker than others . you have to walk , before you can run .

I didn't read all the responses that are posted , but the ones I read on bumping the shoulder ; nobody mentioned that first fired brass is not fully expanded . it needs to be neck sized only a few times to get it fully expanded , THEN you can use this fully expanded brass to set your full length die up to bump shoulders . if you're trying to set up on partially expanded brass you're just chasing your tail .
I've wondered about the once fired brass not being fully expanded to chamber size and how that affects bumping. I have only once fired brass after saving brass for quite awhile waiting to start reloading. The person that gave me a reloading lesson likes FL sizing and that's what I purchased in 5 calibers. My question is should once fired brass that chambers in my rifles NOT be FL sized until it no longer chambers?

My question is should once fired brass that chambers in my rifles NOT be FL sized until it no longer chambers?
I'm not a proponent of FL sizing as long as cases chamber, neck size only. The exception is when sizing for my M-14 then I full length size and small base size.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.