case resizing?

britz

I am going to try "bumping the shoulder" of my casings for resizing. I have primarily loaded for my 30-06 and a friends 22-250 in the past and have gotten away with neck sizing. I now have a 300WSM and have encountered problems with sticky bolts after a couple loadings. I noticed that most of the people here tend to bump shoulders. I would like to hear how you set your dies, ie, do you use a bushing to make a space or do you rely on your press stroke to be consistant? I noticed that my press is not consistant enough to rely on ( Lee challenger). Does anone use a press that is accurate enough to have a stroke within a thousanth or two to bump shoulders of your casings consistantly or do you all use bushings to make the gap?
Thanks, Mark B.

i just neck size and i don't recall ever having a problem but i know once you do they only shoot in that rifle unless you full length size for a diff chamber

Hey britz

It depends upon what die you are using. For example if you are using an RCBS full length die the instructions say to raise the ram with the shellholder installed, then thread the die in until it hits the shell holder, lower the ram and thread the die in an additional 1/4 turn. Those are the instructions for full length resizing which is essentially pushing the shoulder back far enough so it does not contact the chamber shoulder anymore. Most other dies will give instructions and they will all say to adjust the die somewhere in that area of hitting the shell holder.

What you really want to do is adjust your die so that you only push the shoulder back just a smidgen (define smidgen as .001" to .002") so that there is still a very little contact between the case shoulder and chamber shoulder but you have gotten rid of the "crush fit".

You need to get the rifle out and keep it handy to the resizing process and proceed as follows:

1. Raise the ram and thread the die in until it hits the shell holder.
2. Resize a case and chamber the case in the rifle paying attention to the amount of difficulty of chambering.
3. If the bolt is harder to close than closing it empty, then you have some crush fit
4. Thread the die in a very little bit. A very little bit will go a long ways in shoulder bumping.
5. After each resizing chamber the case in the rifle, you will reach a point where the bolt goes from hard to close to no resistance from the case. That is the point you are looking for.

You might want to thread in and out a very little amount until the bolt has just a slight resistance. That is Partial Full Length Resizing and will work your brass the least from firing and resizing.

A very handy tool is the Hornady Headspace Gauge MidwayUSA - Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator . Mine is indispensable for measuring the shoulder bump just don't know why they charge so much. Probably just because they can.

You could use a set of redding competition shellholders. There are5 in a set and each one is .002 bigger than the next. This way you dont have to guess how much you screwed the die down.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts