Terrible being a southpaw

Both my kids shoot southpaw, just acquired a LH Savage 10 predator/hunter 260 Rem for the glass, neither of my kids want the rifle as they both have 308's, can send pics if any of you lefties are looking 208 731 0836, can be had reasonable only 60 rounds on it, basically nib

What?!

Do they not know the magical powers of 6.5?!

I think you'll encounter the many lefties, like myself, that just shoot RH guns.
It may be a factor to the AR guys but has never been an issue for me.
I own a couple LH rifles Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308 and a Stag AR 15. But I was raised the same RH guns all my life and as stated prior more of a market on resale. There have been a few that threw brass back in my face though. AR's.

Lefty here....been hunting and shooting for close to 40 years, I've never fired a left handed rifle! Learned on RH, never looked back. I'll have to pick one up someday just to try it out.
Now I do have some serious complaints about holster selection....:(
Dont bother you cant see into the action, and it feels just wrong. Plus you lose the speed of the follow up shot on a bipod. Its nice to cycle with the right while the left is in trigger mode. Ever shoot a rem 760/7600?

I am left handed and left eye dominant but have always shoot right handed . when at the bench I shoot left handed working the bolt with my right hand on my right hand rifles as well as when I'm set up hunting . I grew up in the age when teachers didn't think you should be left handed and used a hard wood ruler on your left hand if you used it . I just thought they didn't know how to teach left handed people and so wanted my to use my right hand for selfish reasons

OTOH, lefty rifles are albatrosses on the used gun racks. I picked up a 270 WBY with a Zeiss Diavari scope for $800 a few years ago. And being a lefty is a good excuse for a custom rifle. Savage has a bunch.....Ruger, Remington a few....Tikka quite a few. You can do okay with a little looking.

Im a lefty that shot RH rifles for many years, until I had a custom built in LH. I liked it so much I got another. Couldnt imagine going back to RH rifles.
I now have 2 LH McWhorters in 7 STW, and 6.5x47 Lapua.
I tried making the switch to RH shooting, and couldnt do it. I just couldnt. I tried, but I think what hindered me the most was I waterfowl, and bird hunt a lot and the need for quick comfortable fluid motion gun mounts is what I couldnt seem to do.
Funny thing is I got into archery about 10 yrs ago, and good luck finding LH bows at an archery shop. By the time I decided on a bow, I was comfortably shooting RH.
I shoot RH bows and couldnt imagine shooting LH. I archery hunt these days, and dont shoot my rifles much anymore, due to not being drawn for any rifle tags in about 10 yrs now. I finally drew a rifle tag this year, and I'll be sending some rounds down the tube, getting ready for another rifle hunt, in addition to my archery tag.
Been a few years since Ive posted anything here but thought I'd chime in on this one.

Last edited:
My Dad was a Lefty. My sister, though being a righty, is left eye dominant and shoots lefty as a result. My B-i-L also shoots Lefty. I'm right hand all the way. All that said...

Dad learned right, shot competition .22 right in high school, shot right in the Army, and continued to shoot right for many a decade later. Then he found a left bolt '06 in the mid '90's. Ever since any new long gun has been either ambidextrous (lever) or left bolt. PERIOD. He never looked back. Admittedly it took a fair bit of practice and re-training old habits, but in the long run, not long at all to come to terms with the new equipment.

More and more left hand options become available each year. Now compared to the '90's there is typically at least one left bolt on any given stores rack at any given time. It may not be a chambering you want or a manufacturer you're interested in, but it's on the shelf. And chances are high that the manufacturer and chamber you do want are obtainable through order these days.

I highly recommend giving it a go, it'll change your shooting experience and enjoyment guaranteed!

Even in this day and age. Way back when I first started hunting the only LH rifles available were from Savage or Weatherby and I sure couldn't afford a Weatherby!
Today the market has a good deal more. But we still have our problems. I really wanted to get a Tikka T3x CTR in left hand and in 6.5 CM. Two of my dealers couldn't find one. I sent an email off to Beretta only to find out that this rifle is not available in the US! Well that sucks. A bit of searching and I found something very interesting that I think I'll like and IS available. A Begara B-14 HMR. (b14s352l) in 6.5 CM. I already have a set of rings and mounts for it because it takes Rem 700 bases and a Zeiss 4-14X scope for it. I'll pick it up when I get back to PA next month.

I am left eye dominant and shoot a right hand rifle and I love it. Once I get set up I can work the bolt without moving my hand off the trigger and it makes it easier for ME to stay on target. It might be different for me bc I am right hand dominant. It took a little work to get use to it but now I love it. As a kid I hunted with autos and levers but once I decided to get serious about accuracy I had to make the change.

Just out of curiosity is he also left eye dominant ? Otherwise he should shoot a rifle right handed. I am left handed / right eye dominant. I am unable to use a left handed rifle. Besides, most left handed people are somewhat ambidextrous. I shoot pistols left handed mostly but can shoot right handed if necessary.

Exactly what I was thinking. Eye dominance is the primary concern. My dad for instance is left eye dominant and right handed. Forced to learn to shoot everything left handed.

I have to admit a degree of frustration with some of the commentary:rolleyes:... But- IF you are born Left handed - you are statistically MORE likely to be a CEO, or President...And that does not make us a crook or weird people....:D
But - here is something you should consider if you have a kid that is left handed and you are thinking of converting him to be a right handed shooter: IS HE LEFT EYE DOMINANT???
If not - then you are in luck - and a whole new world of gun availability just opened up for him/her. ****BUT*** - if like many of us - he is TRULY left hand/left eye dominant....well...It just sucks as fas as the poor number and variety of firearms out there. According to NRA skas, approx. 2% of all firearms made are available in LEFT HAND......Conservative numbers say that 1 in 10 are born Left Handed ...and there are estimates that say 1 in 7.
In either case - you see the huge disparity in our choices. Sucks. Let me say that another way....SSSUUUCCCKKKSSS!!!!!!:D:D:D

I started shooting late in life (35) so I got to make my own choices; I took my time and found lefty guns to hunt with.

Here's something nobody's mentioned: carrying a rifle on the wrong side of your body tends to knock the bolt into your hip, even knock the bolt open. Something to think about. I use a home made copy of a kifaru gunbearer, but most hunters use straps.

Had an amazing year last year, made a semi custom Fierce CT with HCA barrel in 7WSM. Looking forward to getting it dirty. Paying a little extra for the LH is worth it imho.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.