Hind sight being 20/20?

1. Buy a reloading set up. I inherited mine with a 270 BSA from My father.
2. Get a short action stainless action in a light weight set up for the mountains.
I have a 7-08 Kimber.
3. Get a long action for everything else, my current favorite is a Kimber Mtn ascent in 280 AI- pretty close to the 7 remingtom mag, but uses 5% less powder per shell for almost the same velocity.
4. If you need a rocket launcher- get a 28 nosler or one of the lazzeroni's in a big case 7mm.

buy a lot of 7mm bullets, they will work in all of them.

5. keep any sentimental guns just because.

6. short action and long action- get the same brand of whatever you like, fit should be close to the same on them.

That"s my hind sight idea.

Terry

If I wanted just a few guns to cover everything it would be a
22 of some kind for pest control and trapping, a .223 for varmint hunting and fun plinking, a 30-06 for midrange hunting and plinking and a 300 WM for serious long range work.

You can walk in to almost any Walmart, sporting goods store, or mom and pop shop and buy ammo at any time for those. And reloading components are fairly easy to come by. With the right bullet I wouldn't sweat an 800 yard shot on a deer with the 30-06.

My 2¢

If I wanted just a few guns to cover everything it would be a
22 of some kind for pest control and trapping, a .223 for varmint hunting and fun plinking, a 30-06 for midrange hunting and plinking and a 300 WM for serious long range work.

You can walk in to almost any Walmart, sporting goods store, or mom and pop shop and buy ammo at any time for those. And reloading components are fairly easy to come by. With the right bullet I wouldn't sweat an 800 yard shot on a deer with the 30-06.

My 2¢
The .22 Hornet is one of the best all time varmint calibers but for some reason many of us look right past it. Another is the .22mag and both are dirt cheap to shoot with all kinds of factory ammo available.

The .22 Hornet is one of the best all time varmint calibers but for some reason many of us look right past it. Another is the .22mag and both are dirt cheap to shoot with all kinds of factory ammo available.

I've never owned a .22 Hornet, though I wouldn't mind a AI version and may own one some day. However, I do own and shoot the .22 WMR and I'd not call the ammunition for it dirt cheap. I can usually buy most types of .223 cheaper than the Hornet, and often reload it cheaper than the .22 WMR.

I have simple needs and could easily get buy with these rifles.

1) .22 long rifle, can't imagine life without at least one.
2) .223/5.56 everyone should have an AR and decent bolt action in this cartridge.
3) .243 Win, it was my first centerfeed and properly twisted it does great things.
4) .308 Win or . 30-06 they're flat out versatile, but I still prefer the .270 Win.
5) .375 Ruger for if I ever get to knock off some bucket list hunts.
6) .50 caliber muzzle loader to let me take advantage of warmer weather big game hunts.

If I could stick to that it sure would simplify my lif, but no I'm looking for another safe as I'm overflowing with rifles.

I didn't forget about those. I have one of each. The hornet is hard to find ammo for and super expensive. 50¢ a round when I find it cheap. 80¢ a round is normal price around here for hornet. I can buy .223 ammo way cheaper. My varmint hunting 223 rounds cost me 60¢ a round. And I've shot steel to 800 yards with them.

The 22wmr ammo is a lot cheaper than the hornet and about on par with the 223 price wise. It is a great varmint round too for about 200 yards. After that it drops like a stone. Which disappointingly so does the hornet. About 250 is all its good for. But I still like having them both around. If I had to trim some fat though I'd be keeping the .223 instead of the hornet or mag

I shot in local club as kid,22 indoor.Have 22 mag also.Shot first few elk with 243,then went to 7rm,then went to 340 wby for 25 yrs.Now shooting 338NM,one of 3 -338's I shoot,primary elk hunter.

That's odd. I shot the hornet for over 30 years and never had any trouble getting ammo for it. Looking at current prices you can still get it for .20-.60c pr/rds.

22 hornet ammo rifle

I guess so much of the market has gone over to the .223/5.56mm with the AR craze it's popularity has faded.

I had a little ruger carbine (bolt) M77-22 that was just great for everything from Deer to Jackrabbits out to 350yds and was flat out great for coyotes that I lost in a house fire and never replaced.

Of all the guns to pass through my hands over the years I probably miss that one the most.

I didn't forget about those. I have one of each. The hornet is hard to find ammo for and super expensive. 50¢ a round when I find it cheap. 80¢ a round is normal price around here for hornet. I can buy .223 ammo way cheaper. My varmint hunting 223 rounds cost me 60¢ a round. And I've shot steel to 800 yards with them.

The 22wmr ammo is a lot cheaper than the hornet and about on par with the 223 price wise. It is a great varmint round too for about 200 yards. After that it drops like a stone. Which disappointingly so does the hornet. About 250 is all its good for. But I still like having them both around. If I had to trim some fat though I'd be keeping the .223 instead of the hornet or mag
To the bolded, from a practicality standpoint I can't argue that at all, personal preference wise though I am partial to the Hornet.

When you can find them the 10/22mag and proof research version of the same is just a heck of a lot of fun as a short range varmint gun and with the 60gr version is even adequate for head shots on smaller feral hogs.

I'd buy reloading equipment and stop caring about whether or not I could find factory ammo. Pick one rifle and get set up to reload for it, you can buy more rifles later.

To the bolded, from a practicality standpoint I can't argue that at all, personal preference wise though I am partial to the Hornet.

When you can find them the 10/22mag and proof research version of the same is just a heck of a lot of fun as a short range varmint gun and with the 60gr version is even adequate for head shots on smaller feral hogs.

The 22 Mag is a great little cartridge. I love mine. I personally would never get rid of it. My dad gave it to me. I can't remember the exact model number without looking, but it is built in the image of the Winchester 94. It has beautiful bluing and stained maple stocks with a thick mirror gloss finish. Beautiful gun. And very accurate. We once hung a small target from a piece of 20 lb fishing line and were taking turns shooting it with the mag at about 20 yards. ( had some friends over who had never shot before) When we got down to the last round I used it to shoot the string in two and drop the target to the ground. They couldn't believe it because some of them actually missed the 3" target at that range.

I have heard from multiple people regarding multiple topics about not selling anything. There are some guns I've sold that I ended up buying again or wish I had kept. Same thing with a condo I sold that I wish I wouldn't have. Hard to say what you'll want 10 years from now.

I have learned with vehicles for example, to get the fully loaded version because they retain value better than aftermarket improvements and I never find myself saying I wish I had more. I've never said, I wish I had a smaller engine when I'm on an on-ramp. I suppose the same would be true of a rifle. You can always shoot shorter and less accurate if you want but you can't always shoot longer and more precise if you need unless you have the tool that can do it.

The 22 Mag is a great little cartridge. I love mine. I personally would never get rid of it. My dad gave it to me. I can't remember the exact model number without looking, but it is built in the image of the Winchester 94. It has beautiful bluing and stained maple stocks with a thick mirror gloss finish. Beautiful gun. And very accurate. We once hung a small target from a piece of 20 lb fishing line and were taking turns shooting it with the mag at about 20 yards. ( had some friends over who had never shot before) When we got down to the last round I used it to shoot the string in two and drop the target to the ground. They couldn't believe it because some of them actually missed the 3" target at that range.
I have that rifle .Shot a 6x9 whitey with it,love the rifle got it in trade from my 87 yr old father in law

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.