Terrible being a southpaw

I'm in the right handed left eye dominent club, hard genetic trait dads side. Grandpa,Dad,sister, brother and myself all shoot right handed but my daughter and nephews shoot lefty.
I've got a couple of left handed Savages that are 70s vintage that make great bench guns, I shoot them right handed and work the bolt with the left hand.......my eye never come out of the scope or off target.
Try shooting a Sig 238 or 938 left handed sometime, great little guns but your getting.a lot of brass in the face.
A few years ago I tore my right shoulder up, can not hold the Ruger Super Redhawk 454 let alone shoot it right handed. Did find a left handed shoulder holsrer for it that work good but relearning to shoot left handed is like trying to eat with your off hand.

Ya the guns in my right hand for pic but it does show the left holster a little and I can asure you it was fired left handed as the Casull is a handfull

cjy.jpg

I went all LEft about 12 years ago...shot right handed rifles beforehand. I hunt and all my "shooters" are lefty. I have spent considerable time combing looking for good "left overs" . I talked to one custom maker--he told be about 1 in ever 3 guns he builds is left handed...

I'm right handed but left eye dominent so I shoot left handed with a right hand rifle. I've thought about buying a left had rifle but I would assume the bolt would be left handed too and if so I'm sure would feel awkward to work. I guess the best solution for me is to order a custom left handed stock inletted for a right handed bolt?

I am right handed but left-eye dominant. I grew up shooting right handed rifles, but my biggest complaint with them is having the bolt handle digging into your side while carrying it slinged. After spending years looking for a lefty Winchester 70 with a standard bolt face long action I finally broke down and bought one in .270 wsm. I probably would have never considered the cartridge before but it's been impressive so far.

I have found with lefty rifles that they will slip through the cracks on gun broker every once in a while. I have picked up several accidentally by throwing low bids on there and unexpectedly winning.

Lefty here....been hunting and shooting for close to 40 years, I've never fired a left handed rifle! Learned on RH, never looked back. I'll have to pick one up someday just to try it out.
Now I do have some serious complaints about holster selection....:(
Holsters same as guns and circular saws...had to have my holsters custom made...and do all you righties know that there is actually is a left handed circular saw?

I'm right handed but left eye dominent so I shoot left handed with a right hand rifle. I've thought about buying a left had rifle but I would assume the bolt would be left handed too and if so I'm sure would feel awkward to work. I guess the best solution for me is to order a custom left handed stock inletted for a right handed bolt?
I am also a right handed and left eye dominant. My favorite action is a left bolt right action, which is a custom deal I bought some time ago used. I have a mix of right and left rifles, I prefer the lefties. However I have several right handed rifles my heirs can deal with after I am gone

Even in this day and age. Way back when I first started hunting the only LH rifles available were from Savage or Weatherby and I sure couldn't afford a Weatherby!
Today the market has a good deal more. But we still have our problems. I really wanted to get a Tikka T3x CTR in left hand and in 6.5 CM. Two of my dealers couldn't find one. I sent an email off to Beretta only to find out that this rifle is not available in the US! Well that sucks. A bit of searching and I found something very interesting that I think I'll like and IS available. A Begara B-14 HMR. (b14s352l) in 6.5 CM. I already have a set of rings and mounts for it because it takes Rem 700 bases and a Zeiss 4-14X scope for it. I'll pick it up when I get back to PA next month.
I'm also a long time left hand shooter that shoots right hand bolt action rifles, no problem with this but later in life I discovered that I'm right eye dominant, not a problem shooting rifles but shotguns are a different story. Wish I would have known this when I started at an early age, I would have switched

I think you'll encounter the many lefties, like myself, that just shoot RH guns.
It may be a factor to the AR guys but has never been an issue for me.
We didn't have any other choice 50 years ago and it wasn't that hard to adapt. It was do or die. But I always cross handed the bolt when hunting and only use my right hand when benching!

Us leftys shoot right and left rilfes, do you ever see a right hander shoot a left handed rifle? Maybe we are lucky being left handed.

I'd agree. I'm a lefty and have shot left and right action guns all of my life without ever even thinking about it. The only time I've even thought about it is when I won a little savage thumb hole 17 hmr in a raffle. Right hand thumbhole shooting left hand is no bueno.

I'd say being left handed has been a benefit. While stationed in Germany in the early 90's, I picked up a LH Sako Finbear Deluxe 30-06 for a few hundred dollars because the shop had it for a few years and couldn't sell it. Years later I sent the action off to Benchmark to be squared, rebarreled and rechambered. After some painstaking modification to the original stock, I ended up with my favorite rifle, a 6.5-06 AI. This rifle has been my go-to for antelope to elk.

Attachments

• 088CF175-2D45-4723-A618-7281CB00322C.jpeg
    088CF175-2D45-4723-A618-7281CB00322C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 215
I am right handed, but due to a right eye injury I have shot left handed since 1987. There are good, accurate lever actions available chambered in .308, .300 wsm, .325 wsm, by Browning. Henry makes a .308 lever action, mine does consistent moa at 100 yds. I have been very satisfied with left handed bolt rifles like the Browning A-Bolt Micro Hunter. I own/have owned left hand rifles by Savage, Remington, Winchester, & several custom builds. Out of these, I personally prefer the Browning A-Bolts for quality, accuracy, reliability, weight, & cost. Just my opinion/experience, l am in no way intentionally knocking anyone else's opinion. We all like firearms, & have our own favorites.

Yes, ya'leave a lefth here that has a Rem. Mtn, rifle, Kevlar stocked .280 Rem .280 best rifle that is the best in my collection of 40 years........my only lefty besides a 6.5 creed in a ruler American predator.........so if you want a lefth bolt gun these are just fine with me?........Hand loading is the best option..

What?!

Do they not know the magical powers of 6.5?!
Haven't drank the koolaid "yet", archery equipment is worse than firearms let alone baseball and golf you find yourself settling for what you can find if at all, oh & dads with left handed kids as mine were, start your search a year or season early for what's coming for eqt because what is available goes quickly and you find yourself borrowing the first go around because of the learning curve on availability

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.