Tent waterproofing.

pacowboy

What waterproofing do you guys use and recommend for nylon tents. I have a small one man bivy tent that I acquired from my wife's aunt when her uncle passed away. I used it over the weekend and a light drizzle came through and I found out it wasn't very waterproof other than where the rain fly was. I plan on using it again but would like to stay a little dryer this time.

Just any kind of spray silicone. The one they sell for shoe and boot waterproofing ins't any better. Silicone spray is silicone spray, they are all the same, some just cost more so find the cheapest you can.
Tarey

What waterproofing do you guys use and recommend for nylon tents. I have a small one man bivy tent that I acquired from my wife's aunt when her uncle passed away. I used it over the weekend and a light drizzle came through and I found out it wasn't very waterproof other than where the rain fly was. I plan on using it again but would like to stay a little dryer this time.
C3469A62-93FB-4B20-BD41-417A468BAB4B.jpeg

Was it coming thru the fabric or the seams. They sell sealant for the seams that's easy to apply. If you seal the entire tent you may get a lot of condensation

Do NOT use silicone spray.It won't be waterPROOF, just water repellant.

1.Set up tent very taut on warm summer day or in a warm room.
2..PURCHASE: 1 qt. ODORLESS Mineral Spirits, 1 tube GE clear silicone caulk, small 6" paint roller and pan, roll of blue heavy duty "shop towels".
3. PROCEDURE: ->mix 5 parts odorless mineral spirits and one part GE clear silicone caulk in a pint sealed jar and SHAKE FOR 2 MINUTES ->pour part of mix into paint tray and roll on to a tautly set up tent in 1or 2 ft. square areas at a time ->wipe down immediately with blue shop towel. This leaves a light but waterPROOF coating.
Let fully dry for 48 hours.

Repeat the process on the floor exterior with a small table inside the tent moving the floor over the table top as needed for a flat surface to permit using the roller.

I've done this on two tents and it has lasted for many years.They were silnylon tents so if your cheap tent is urethane coated inside be sure to do this procedure only on the outside.

My advice: go to WalMart and buy their best backpacking tent. The now have decent quality tents.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.