Tent recommendations

Rugerman77

Planning on doing a 3 trip with my wife in early April in western Nc mountains. We will hiking so weight is a slight concern. I want a four season tent so I can hunt out of it in the fall/winter with a buddy as well. I think 3 person with vestibule or maybe vestibule on each side. Don't want to break the bank but want decent quality. Any input would be appreciated.

I went with the mountain smith bear Creek tent in a 4pax model it wieghs about 8lb even with fly and footprint and full aluminum poles. Not saying it's the best thing but it was alot more affordable than some of the other stuff out there. They also have a 2 and a 3 person model

I think the REI Halfdome 2 plus is your ticket. It is a decades old design that has been improved over several generations and comes in a hair under 5 lbs. I would call it a 3.5 season tent as it is not double wall construction like a true 4 seasons tent. It will handle moderate snow loads without a problem. There is ample room for 2 6' 2" hunters and liberal space in the dual vestibule. If I had to pick 1 tent for life, it would be a Halfdome. The bonus is the reasonable pricing, and REI warranty. I would suggest a true 4 seasons tent would be pretty miserable in the summer for car camping or backpack packing.

I think the REI Halfdome 2 plus is your ticket. It is a decades old design that has been improved over several generations and comes in a hair under 5 lbs. I would call it a 3.5 season tent as it is not double wall construction like a true 4 seasons tent. It will handle moderate snow loads without a problem. There is ample room for 2 6' 2" hunters and liberal space in the dual vestibule. If I had to pick 1 tent for life, it would be a Halfdome. The bonus is the reasonable pricing, and REI warranty. I would suggest a true 4 seasons tent would be pretty miserable in the summer for car camping or backpack packing.
Thank you I will check it out

If you want gobs of room and a hurricane=proof tent take a look at Hilleberg. I have a Nallo GT3 that I've used and abused on Alaska sheep and goat hunts, windy Wyo, and Colo. The Anjan GT is similar to the Nallo GT but a tad lighter weight material. I've used just the fly off my Nallo when I want to go super light and compact. The vestibule in both the Nallo and Anjan is huge and extremely nice for cooking or placing gear.

My preference is tents with vertical walls so there is more "useable" space. Tents with sloped or angled walls are pretty worthless.

I would also suggest going to a 3 man tent if there are 2 of you.

Hillebergs are expensive but worth every penny! I found mine on Craigslist and was only used once for 1/2 price!

I agree on the get a three person if there's two of you especially if you're hiking out with the misses. Otherwise you'll be cramped. I have a four season I never use, the three season is fast to set up and so much lighter. These tarp tents are a favorite and my 15 year old tent is still my favorite

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts