Tell me about these rounds…..Contender

I have an SSK Contender built by JD Jones in 1994, I believe. I remember ordering from him as a kid with a little money and not sure what I wanted. He walked me through it himself and built me a great 375 JDJ. SSK Khrome, arrestor brake, Pachmayrs, 15"…..I was sure I needed that 375!

Fast forward almost 30 years….I think I'd like a few lighter deer, varmint and paper worthy barrels with less recoil….

So tell me more about the 7-30 Waters, 30 Herrett, for deer and/or 17 hmr, 22LR, 22 hornet for small game and paper. Also, what do folks use 6mm TCU for?

Are you limited by expansion to about 1800fps impact velocity or are bullets like the Vmax capable of expansion at slow velocity like 1500fps? Are shot velocities key like with rifles, or can bullet selection improve this?
I have a 6.5 BRM barrel from E. Arthur Brown Co. Mr. Brown designed this cartridge several years ago, it's essentially a 6.5 x 30-30 with a 35 degree shoulder instead of the 40 degree AI cartridge. It's on it way to Darrell Holland to get a muzzle break installed. Wildcat cartridge take some time to work on and dies are more costly but it's fun to see your results in the end. They're not for everyone. Had a Waters years ago, and a 30-30 A I, but let them go. Contenders are fun to work and hunt with.

Attachments

• 3A772A23-3485-43FF-BFEB-D5BAAF7A235D.jpeg
    3A772A23-3485-43FF-BFEB-D5BAAF7A235D.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 50
Although not a pistol, I am shooting a .357 Rem Max in Encore with 24" 1:14tw barrel. Shooting 140gr Hammer Shock Hammer at 2700fps. No not typo. I would look at Hammers with fast powder and higher velocities. Personally, I would go with 7x30Waters, 101gr Hammer Hunter.

Can't speak much on the others but the 30 Herrett is an amazing little round, I had one in the 10" TC at one time. The cases aren't hard to make from .30 30 Win, what was really fun was to taking .30 cal M62 pulled tracers bullets and reloading them into the .30 Herrett... then chasing jackrabbits and Yote around the snowy high desert during the winter months. Those tracers looked like we were shooting road flares at them, slowing down those tracers really looks crazy.

@Muddyboots beat me to it, the 357 Maximum is a great Contender round, mine was a 13" Bulberry. The other round worth noting that I have experience with is the .240 Raptor (.204 Ruger necked to 6MM) from Gary Reeder. That said, @Ernie is spot on with his recommendations as well, take a look at Reeder's site and Mike Bellm's as well, some good stuff there.

41Mag,
Bullet weight?
Estimated MV?
I've shot the 123 Hornady, the 120 Sierra, the 125 Nosler Partition and 120 Ballistic Tip. It likes the Hornady, the Ballistic Tips really well, and the 125 N.Partitions. Average velocity of all 3 and around 2300 or so. I've shot H-4350 and N140 and it seems to prefer the N140. I've not reached the max load on any of there's bullets or powders yet, accuracy is good 1/2 to 1 MOA. I've not tried the Barnes 120 TTSX or 120 Speer bullets yet. Hope to take an Antelope with it next year in your state if I draw a tag.

Recently bought out a family friends reloading room and gun safe. Ended up with a Contender (? it has a cougar engraved on the side with 3 "postition" safety)) with a 30 Herett barrel. Need to find some brass for it someday and work up some loads. Good source for brass?

Recently bought out a family friends reloading room and gun safe. Ended up with a Contender (? it has a cougar engraved on the side with 3 "postition" safety)) with a 30 Herett barrel. Need to find some brass for it someday and work up some loads. Good source for brass?
If memory serves me right,the 30 Herett is formed from 30-30 brass. If you would like to buy it formed I believe you can buy it from EA Brown. His website is eabco.net, he shows it out of stock right now, but I believe he will BO it.

If memory serves me right,the 30 Herett is formed from 30-30 brass. If you would like to buy it formed I believe you can buy it from EA Brown. His website is eabco.net, he shows it out of stock right now, but I believe he will BO it.
Can also be formed from 375 Win. They say that is stronger for high pressure 30-30 case rounds.