Contender Barrels

Hey, I shot a big chocolate colored black bear with a 375 JDJ using a 235gr TSX. The shot was about 30 yards, slight quartering away. Found the bullet on the offside hide after it went thru the chest and broke the leg just below the shoulder. Perfect four petal Barnes expansion. The bear squared at 6' 6. It was a big bear, it took two four wheeler winches to hoist it up for skinning it out. Tried it with just one 4 wheeler and it just lifted the front wheels off the ground. I wish we could have weighed him.
Take Care

Two of my favorite contender pistol barrels both 14 in.218 Bee and a 6/223.Have a MGM 20 in 357 Max barrel that is fun to shoot in a carbine set up.

I have 2 SSK pistol barrels, 13" 357 mag Contender and a 16 1/4" 243 Win. Encore both are very accurate. Also a 15" MGM Encore barrel in 308 win. also very accurate. Not for sale 😁

So I just recently purchased a SSK barrel in .309 JDJ. 22" with a 1-7 twist. I can't find any load data for that twist rate any where. SSK told me that twist rate is good for anything in weight 150 gr on up. Seems pretty fast. If any of you are knowledgeable or have data onf heavy bullets able to stabilize with this 1-7 twist.

If you have data for other twist rates use that. As ALWAYS…..start low and work up in charge to find maximum load or best accuracy. Standard rules for any hand loading.

So I just recently purchased a SSK barrel in .309 JDJ. 22" with a 1-7 twist. I can't find any load data for that twist rate any where. SSK told me that twist rate is good for anything in weight 150 gr on up. Seems pretty fast. If any of you are knowledgeable or have data onf heavy bullets able to stabilize with this 1-7 twist.
Hello, this might get you there, good luck,

I have had a 35 Bullberry for years. It has been a favorite chambering. Form from 375 Winchester Starline Brass. Dies from C&H.
Easy to form, and not hard on brass.
For Cast Bullets one might want to try Starline 38-55 Brass. It is thinner.
I recommend a Harrels 4 Gill Brake. The brake makes it a lot more fun to shoot.

Bob R

I loaned a " friend" a stainless frame Contender with an 12" SSK 45-70 barrel topped with a 2xERL Leupold - neet gun and would flip rabbits- that is all I ever got to shoot with it as the guy said one of his wife's friends must have stolen it during a party. I got the shoulder holster back but that was it. I don't loan guns anymore. I need a stainless Contender frame for the remaining SSK barrels I have.
I have done that 3 times. Loan out a couple of rifles, and a 410. I'll never do that again. :mad: i guess it took me 3x's to get it straight.

Recent Posts