Contender Barrels

wyodeer

Well I have been re bitten by the bug and started shooting my Contender again after many years of not.
Got some new walnut grips and worked up a load with 120 sierras in the 7-30 imp
Actually shot a nice cinnamon/chocolate bear yesterday with it and was thinking while I was out there that a 35 Remington barrel or something of the sort would be fun to play with and stalk big bears with.
Anybody out there sitting on something they don't use any more and willing to sell?
Also what about bullets any more? Doesn't seem like there are many options with hornady getting rid of all the ssp bullets.
Any opinions on other calibers to look into? Not looking to shoot real far, 200 or so is fine.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230514_115025.jpg
    20230514_115025.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 126
Thanks
He is a good bear, but there was a monster in there too
Let me know if you are interested in selling
Would be nice to find something with scope and loading supplies

Thanks
He is a good bear, but there was a monster in there too
Let me know if you are interested in selling
Would be nice to find something with scope and loading supplies
No on selling. Thanks. Once I acquire a firearm, I never sell it. I might give it to somebody. My sons, or Grandsons. I won't even loan them out anymore. The only ones I lost were one the I let somebody use.
Still a nice bear!

Well I have been re bitten by the bug and started shooting my Contender again after many years of not.
Got some new walnut grips and worked up a load with 120 sierras in the 7-30 imp
Actually shot a nice cinnamon/chocolate bear yesterday with it and was thinking while I was out there that a 35 Remington barrel or something of the sort would be fun to play with and stalk big bears with.
Anybody out there sitting on something they don't use any more and willing to sell?
Also what about bullets any more? Doesn't seem like there are many options with hornady getting rid of all the ssp bullets.
Any opinions on other calibers to look into? Not looking to shoot real far, 200 or so is fine.
Thanks
Nice bear!

Never bought from either of these companies but I know they have and make barrels for Contenders and ProHunters

MGM-Match Grade Machines
EABCO- E. Arthur Brown Company

As above with MGM, but the newer 360 Buckhammer produces about the same as the 35 Rem. You can also check with Mike Bellm at [email protected]. He rechambers Contender and other barrels, and I know from his last email, he is getting several requests for the 360 Buckhammer. Mike is big on the 357 Maximum, but he does have a lot of good things to say on the 360.

Usually, one can find a few 357 Herretts around, but most people today do not like the idea and task of shortening and fire-forming the 30-30 case for it. I have a 10" and 14" in it, and I can drive it hard enough for most of the 200gr RN bullets to expand reliably. I do still have a small quantity of the 180 SSP, but I am stingy with those.

Last edited:
Anyone dealt with the 35 Bullberry? My 7-30 is a Bullberry I ordered in '99 or so. It is a very accurate barrel. Be nice to stick with the 30-30 brass since I have a marlin 30-30 and the 7-30