TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

Pretty simple. Add a bag of ice to the bottom of a large ice chest throw in a hind quarter and a front shoulder, add some more ice throw in the other hind quarter and the front quarter and your trim and cover with ice.

Keep it closed up and drain as needed. The ice will melt fairly quickly at the beginning, but once the meat is cooled to the bone, the ice will last a long time. Replace ice as necessary. I've done two antelope and a deer this year so far with the ice aging method and left them for 12 days. I don't think it hurts to rotate the meat either but sometimes the ice gets really hard and it's hard to access the meat.

As you drain the water, it will be extremely bloody at first, but by the seventh or eighth day it's barely pink. I think it does a good job of removing all of the blood. Everything I've eaten has been very tender and mild.
Been doing this for over 12 yrs. Old guy I met at buddies hunt club showed me this method. It's especially good for bear meat that's really gamie flavor or in Alaska if they are on strictly fish diet.

Hunting vers Target bullets? I don't CLAME to know squat between the different s but have Taken just a Few Elk, Mule Deer using the Nosler Balistic Tip in 270 130 gr, and, in the 300 WM 180 gr Both have been very good at dropping both with One well placed round. Each, and the Game never knew if the Bullet that Killed them was a Target or a "Hunting" round! And I did Not care. Only that there was Meat, in the Freezer for the Family for the year! From Aprox 50+/- yds out to Aprox 800 Yds. One shot, one Kill! Shoot what you have, make the shot Count, Eat the Meat!

You're absolutely right! We do owe it to the animals. That's why I use a target bullet.

1. I'm more likely to hit where I'm aiming.

2. Elements have less effect on them, ensuring my POA and POI are the same.
In January I used the 140gr Berger Hybrid Target out of my 6.5prc for the second time on cow elk.
Both were POA/POI head shots. The first was squarely between the eyes at 318 and the second was in the eye at 330.
Can't argue with that level of accuracy or the confidence you draw from it. That's what the countless hours of trigger time and all the shooting drills are for after all.
No meat lost!

Attachments

• PXL_20240118_223639033.jpg
    PXL_20240118_223639033.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 58
I personally know a guy that hunts with a Bruce Baer 338-378 Weatherby that has taken about every living creature in North America with 300 grain Sierra MK bullets, elk out to near a mile, and all kinds of other ridiculous stuff with that rifle. He can put three in a dime at 300 yards, at least I know he can twice, because I watched him check his scope on his rifle twice before hunting season and he did it both times. Bruce came and hunted whitetail with us in Kansas one time, and I still regret not having him make me a rifle. He spun up some dandies.

Sierra match kings have always worked great for me!!!
I used to use them in my 7mm Express until one buck I shot almost go away. The shot was a broadside double lung, the bullet went between a rib going in and in between a rib going out, no blood trail at all. The bullet penciled through, the buck ran about 200 yds, but it ran into some heavy trees. It took me a while but I eventually found him and after gutting him I discovered what happened. All of the other times I shot a deer with that bullet it struck a rib going out and it did leave a blood trail, but it made me think about those previous shots and they too most likely penciled through but by striking a rib going out i did get some kind of blood trail.
What I didn't know then that I do now, if I had cleaned out the HP on those bullets would they have expanded, I don't know, but if I ever thought about using them again I'd make sure the HP was clean and open.

LOLOL!!!, Nice buck. Now tell me about the shot and caliber.
Never under stood one thing if they want you hunting with 'hunting bullets' why don't they duplicate the weight and BC of the target bullet?

You train with a 208gr ELDM in a 300 wm. And dial in your rangefinder and scope, now find ann exact equivalent in an ELDX for a 6-700 yard shoot.

I'm just sayin.

We'll see how good he eats. I think I smelled him before I saw him! He's going in the ice chest for 10 days on ice. I'm sold on the ice aging method. We'll see if it works on a rutty buck.
I shot one in late November that was with 14 does, had him clean and full of snow within 10min and I hung him in cold weather for days. His meat still smelled and was pretty much an edible. Hope you have better luck.

I shot one in late November that was with 14 does, had him clean and full of snow within 10min and I hung him in cold weather for days. His meat still smelled and was pretty much an edible. Hope you have better luck.
He was good. Slight taste but my wife still liked it and if she gives it the thumbs up then you know it's not gamey! 😜

Funny how a buddy could fire a 168 gr. Match King in his 30-06 and kill a monster 10 point busk and several doe with one shot and no running. Shot placement? Luck? Who knows but the very next year I swear we trailed blood for 6 miles trying to find a wounded Buck. We did find him he had to finish him off. After that suffering kill he went to soft point bullets.

For the record: We we're Prairie Dog shooting and I had some FMJ bullets that got mixed in somehow. Firing them from a Contender Super 14" in .223 every Prairie Dog I shot exploded just like a V-Max bullet hit it out to 400 yds. That is the only time I fired FMJ while hunting.

The Ranch we hunted on never liked FMJ due to the chance of starting a fire on the Prairie in Wyoming.
Even V-Max bullets have started fires.

I have been told many times over the years that the 140gr A-Max bullets (old red tip) were match/target bullets and should never be hunted with….I have loaded them in several different .264/6.5 calibers for me, my two sons, and several buddies and apparently no one informed the deer and several other species. The load that I developed for deer dumps ASL of energy on said "target". IMHO you don't need a blood trail if they don't walk/run off. It must be some kind of fast acting sleeping med or something as they are appear to be taking A dirt nap.
No memories like my 6yo boy taking his 1st WT with one perfectly placed shot at 276 yards all by him self off the tree stand handrail… "Dad, I think it's going to get up"… buddy it was DRT it was just rolling/sliding down a fairly steep ditch bank. That was the same load we use today, almost 14 years ago.

Recent Posts