TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

It's wild how different scenarios can occur, with the "same" bullet.
Yours blew through elk, mine probably exit shoulder shot deer 50% of the time.
.284 160gr AB 3000mv

The muley in the photo didn't have an exit.
But he did colllase in a heap, from a nice neat 200yd dead on hold.

Rare for me not to have exit.Shot a 338 for almost 40 years.Early years 225 partition,last 14YRS,300 OTM.If shot elk and moose closer than 50 and out to 900.Never recovered a 300 yet.Shot a few things with my 300 ism barnes and AB'S,AB's in 257 Bee also.Shot one of my biggest bucks 22 mag, muzzle loader too.Lots of archery 2 blade w/bleeder.

This crowd could learn a lot from archery philosophy on shot placement and the expected results. When you shoot center mass you take your chances. When you take a heart shot it's dead on its feet even though it will run. When you hit the switch (spine, brain) it drops in its tracks. There's a lot of ways to accomplish killing. Call me simple but that's what it comes down to. Don't expect something to drop instantly because you blow its lungs up. They do sometimes because of the hydro shock to the spine or you broke their shoulders. I've killed a few animals that just didn't know they were supposed to die from their wound. They did, but it took a while.

Is there a link to a bow hunter discussion on broadhead design that goes 34 pages on how well they kill? Asking for a friend.

You have obviously never checked out the "heavy arrow vs. light arrow" discussions on Archery Talk. Or the "fixed blade vs. expandables" debates. They are that forums version of target bullets vs hunting bullets threads. :)

In all seriousness though. While I currently sit in the heavy arrow and heavy bullets (albeit cup and core/target) camp when it comes to killing animals, we should all feel fortunate to live in a time where our manufacturing capabilities allow us to have mass-produced factory firearms capable of MOA (or very close) accuracy using factory ammo and that cartridge, propellant, and bullet designs have gotten us to where a vast majority of them will perform with superb efficacy.
It allows for us to all have our various opinions and experiences and even though different, not actually be wrong.

I mean, heck, if we didn't have that, what on earth would we argue about on the internet?

Last edited:
I have never used target bullets for big game. I don't have a problem using them on varmints. I'm sure they have killed big game, but they are designed for extreme accuracy, not terminal performance. Just my opinion. To each his own. It's a personal choice. I once shot a deer with my 6.5 Rem Mag 100 gr. Corelokt factory load. It would not have been my first choice for hunting deer, It performed admirably. I hit him behind the shoulder. The bullet doubled him and exited. I was surprised because I considered that a varmint load. On another hunt, I shot a deer with a 120 Speer with that rifle. Same placement. Bullet grenaded inside his chest, splattering the off side ribs with lead fragments. Part of the bullet exited and this snow had blood splattered all over it. The deer dropped in its tracks. I researched the bullet, and learned that it was designed for lower velocities. I shot a deer last fall with a factory 6.5 Rem Mag 120 gr Corelokt. Once again complete penetration, with no evidence of over expansion. Double lunged and he dropped within seconds. I guess this could be a testimonial for CoreLokt bullets, but they are designed for hunting and they worked. What I am trying to say is, I'm a believer in using bullets in situations that they were designed for.
Has anyone tried the 140 Speer bonded? I've used Hornady Interbonds in 308 30-06 300 Win and 300 and 340 Weatherby for years and always performed.

It kills me to see or hear of a wounded animal escaping from either my group of hunters or another. There are over 100 hunters that hunt our 4 ranches over the 4 Colorado seasons and every year I hear of 5 to 7 stories of elk escaping wounded. There are probably another dozen or more that appeared well but got knicked by a bullet somewhere. Over the last 5 years alone, I have stopped or killed two elk wounded by others in my own party. I had hoped that they practice more and use the type of bullets that will do the job, but they don't and I don't believe that 75 % of the hunters I see in the fields think that way.

Gday heat and fam
Seems like you've got a case of Chinese whispers giving you the run around
So let's work through the following to clear that up
I'm shooting a 6 creed with 115 DTACs at elk…chew on that for a while. Have shot a few "hunting" bullets at animals at well, funny, the animals don't seem to know the difference, they all expire and I pack the meat home to my family, funny how that works, huh? You enjoy that testing, your frozen carcasses, ballistic gel, etc. I'm more of a real world results kinda guy myself. No sense beating my head against the wall talking to one of the thousands of self proclaimed "experts" on the internet…you guys are a dime a dozen to the point it's comical.

Someone tells me you're the hammer tester…that explains a lot. Take care now.
I chewed on this for a bit & I don't know what pill a dtac is ( no I haven't used everything) or is it abbreviated to something I may no 🤷‍♂️

You must be mistaken me for someone else as I didn't pull these out of the freezer 😜
A8D29991-DB02-4F10-8FAF-E5060ED31B71.png9BE1822B-30AF-4DD4-933A-C1C033547A9D.pngAC594DFA-BB17-445C-B274-F0A30EF9F6AA.pngBAE7B2FB-20D1-4520-B63E-0E6708447235.pngC6107690-9CF1-4526-89E0-4126FB236604.pngCFD1FEDE-CCC3-44FD-9130-4D27324A465B.png63CC0F1E-6870-427D-B6B5-CF7B5EA06AF2.png0DE5ACFD-CCF5-4F9E-855D-C1D0CD3AA272.png0A8E3BB8-3E03-420A-8D9F-1D5235597F57.png4A16B686-41AE-4B1E-B2AA-E2BCF50C2174.png
& never used gel let alone touched it or seen it personally

Now I have been known to shoot critters and put them in a cool room or like & did just this with the vitals of a stag from last night ( I only briefly took notes & videoed but the finer details of the autopsy are yet to be done hence lungs & heart have been put in fridge till I get to them tomorrow)
So if that is what you are on about yes I'll put my hand up for that 🤚
But predominately I autopsy a lot of animals in the field as a lot of my critters are left to rot or gathered where can & put in a hole

Yes I test hammers but I am also in the process of testing apex OEP badlands atomic29 eldm ATip that list has a few more to add but I'll save that for another time & get to the other part to fill you in so you can go back to your source with the actual facts & stop these whispers

Now also on my testing I purchase my own projectiles as I don't like handouts

but clarity I have received a few off the hammerboys I think that's around 300 🤷‍♂️which I can go through in a day on critters
My total number of hammers I've used now I've got no idea & im going to guess it's ticked over to a few now ( no I won't put my numbers out as that gets some in a pickle )

Now the other one that I talked to mark ( the owner of apex ) sometime ago & all I have to do is let him know what I want & he will send no charge but once again I'm not @ ease with that so I may just go my normal route 🤷‍♂️
So does that make me a apex tester a OEP tester a badlands tester etc
No it's I choose to test those companies & the numbers of hammers I've shot are a small sample compared to some of the others

Also for clarity Steve offered to employ me which I declined as I like doing my thing not answering to anyone or time scheduling

Now the atip intrigues me as I've stated for some time here & sourced information on them here but I've not been able to source enough data for clarity on that design
The eldm I've tested previously on a lot of numbers & the amax was a favourite of mine for a lot of years but I've had a snippet of information come through that the eldm has changed a touch from its original
& seeing I've done a lot of work with that pill I've got a great base to see if it has changed or just Chinese whispers

Also note that I didn't put up weights as it can't be put down as a broad statement of that pill as ea pill has different characteristics & a 150 gr is vastly different to a 200 gr regardless of brand & it's working out where & ea of these preform in the field that will give the greatest consistency

& ONCE AGAIN I DONT CARE WHAT ITS CALLED ITS WHAT IT DOES THATS IMPORTANT

now onto your 45-70 comment

I ask this
From those early days of those 45-70 bullets have they improved to today's 🤔🤔
I assume that goes with a answer of yes from you
& why do I assume this
Pretty simple & you gave the hint in your opening line in the post I quoted above

Yep Your using a 115 dtac pill in your creed & this is a advancement in technology from the previous advancements in technology and the ones before that 👍

No different than I'm looking at the eldm again now along with the ATip ( which is not for me it's for a mate as so far he has his pill that works yes but he is trying to get a little bit more as we tried the ceb lazer but that didn't stack up for his use

So hopefully that helps you a little more

I am not a expert & don't claim to be & never have but I do know my stuff pretty well & just post what I do well to help others & if you don't want my help just say so & I'll move on & lastly I'm @ my limit on pictures on this post so I'll add some more for you to consider if you want on That I autopsy critters also so you don't either go off Chinese whispers or go barking up the wrong tree

Cheers

Gday heat and fam
Seems like you've got a case of Chinese whispers giving you the run around
So let's work through the following to clear that up

I chewed on this for a bit & I don't know what pill a dtac is ( no I haven't used everything) or is it abbreviated to something I may no 🤷‍♂️

You must be mistaken me for someone else as I didn't pull these out of the freezer 😜
View attachment 551351View attachment 551352View attachment 551353View attachment 551354View attachment 551355View attachment 551356View attachment 551357View attachment 551358View attachment 551359View attachment 551360
& never used gel let alone touched it or seen it personally

Now I have been known to shoot critters and put them in a cool room or like & did just this with the vitals of a stag from last night ( I only briefly took notes & videoed but the finer details of the autopsy are yet to be done hence lungs & heart have been put in fridge till I get to them tomorrow)
So if that is what you are on about yes I'll put my hand up for that 🤚
But predominately I autopsy a lot of animals in the field as a lot of my critters are left to rot or gathered where can & put in a hole

Yes I test hammers but I am also in the process of testing apex OEP badlands atomic29 eldm ATip that list has a few more to add but I'll save that for another time & get to the other part to fill you in so you can go back to your source with the actual facts & stop these whispers

Now also on my testing I purchase my own projectiles as I don't like handouts

but clarity I have received a few off the hammerboys I think that's around 300 🤷‍♂️which I can go through in a day on critters
My total number of hammers I've used now I've got no idea & im going to guess it's ticked over to a few now ( no I won't put my numbers out as that gets some in a pickle )

Now the other one that I talked to mark ( the owner of apex ) sometime ago & all I have to do is let him know what I want & he will send no charge but once again I'm not @ ease with that so I may just go my normal route 🤷‍♂️
So does that make me a apex tester a OEP tester a badlands tester etc
No it's I choose to test those companies & the numbers of hammers I've shot are a small sample compared to some of the others

Also for clarity Steve offered to employ me which I declined as I like doing my thing not answering to anyone or time scheduling

Now the atip intrigues me as I've stated for some time here & sourced information on them here but I've not been able to source enough data for clarity on that design
The eldm I've tested previously on a lot of numbers & the amax was a favourite of mine for a lot of years but I've had a snippet of information come through that the eldm has changed a touch from its original
& seeing I've done a lot of work with that pill I've got a great base to see if it has changed or just Chinese whispers

Also note that I didn't put up weights as it can't be put down as a broad statement of that pill as ea pill has different characteristics & a 150 gr is vastly different to a 200 gr regardless of brand & it's working out where & ea of these preform in the field that will give the greatest consistency

& ONCE AGAIN I DONT CARE WHAT ITS CALLED ITS WHAT IT DOES THATS IMPORTANT

now onto your 45-70 comment

I ask this
From those early days of those 45-70 bullets have they improved to today's 🤔🤔
I assume that goes with a answer of yes from you
& why do I assume this
Pretty simple & you gave the hint in your opening line in the post I quoted above

Yep Your using a 115 dtac pill in your creed & this is a advancement in technology from the previous advancements in technology and the ones before that 👍

No different than I'm looking at the eldm again now along with the ATip ( which is not for me it's for a mate as so far he has his pill that works yes but he is trying to get a little bit more as we tried the ceb lazer but that didn't stack up for his use

So hopefully that helps you a little more

I am not a expert & don't claim to be & never have but I do know my stuff pretty well & just post what I do well to help others & if you don't want my help just say so & I'll move on & lastly I'm @ my limit on pictures on this post so I'll add some more for you to consider if you want on That I autopsy critters also so you don't either go off Chinese whispers or go barking up the wrong tree

Cheers
hey I'm chinese!! LOL