Taming a 7mm Rum

none of my guns including my .458 have brakes. The best thing you can do for any heavy recoil gun is get a quality synthetic stock. Felt recoil is less than wood benchrest or no drop style with a good recoil pad.

My colder weather shooting coat also has the built in shooting pad. You can also buy strap on shooting shoulder pads.

I only weigh 170 pounds and go plinking with my .458 The technic of firm shouldering a gun and letting it rock you back is something I learned in late grade school hunting with a lightweight 12 guage.

I've never had to make an instant shot on big game. I always put in the ear plugs or muffs. Maybe fold down the bypods. Take a few deep breaths. Think about what I'm doing. Running through bullet drop and wind charts in my mind. Pull a body warmed single bullet out of my shirt pocket if it's cold.

Thanks to all who have given input on this topic.

Any others with suggetions as to their preference in muzzle brakes, recoil pads, and there effectiveness would be appreciated. Also what were the costs in the purchase and installation of the brake?

Thanks,

Pat S.

I had a 7mm Rem Mag at one time and I put a brake on it. I can garantee you I will never own a "hunting" gun with a brake on it again.
The noise is far worse than the recoil.
I now use a 300 RUM with no brake and I am very pleased with it.
I do use hearing protection but not when hunting. I've never had the time to put it on before the shot is gone.

My 338 win mag Bar kicks less than my .243 Win, not sure how much the auto vs. muzzle break contributes tho.

I've done a lot of research into mercury brake and have heard nothing positive about them, except from the vendors.

My brother, nephews and I subjectively report that my Big Bertha SA 50 BMG kicks the least of all my guns, followed by the 338 BAR. My nieces who weigh less than 115lbs say the 50 BMG kicks harder than the BAR - but they enjoy shooting both guns. Big Bertha does push you back.

I wear muffs and ear plugs at the range, electronic muffs if I have to hunt with a brake.

I'm having Kirby put Holland QD's on all my RUMS - his customers have had good luck with them and I've read good reports on them.

At the range I also use a strap on (shoulder recoil pad). Midway had them on sell for $5 each last week, so I bought 3 extra.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.