Taming a 7mm Rum

Pat S.

I recently puchased a LSS 700 in 7mm Rum and find the recoil excessive. What are some options to reduce the felt recoil in this gun without increasing its weight significantly? I've been reluctant to consider a break because of noise while shooting. How noisy are they to the shooter as compared to a stock gun? How much reduction in recoil with a break? Who makes the best recoil pad on the market?

Thanks, Pat S.

I put an OPS INC brake on my 7 RUM Sendero. Tamed the recoil considerably. As far as sound, I never fire even a 22 LR without some sort of hearing protection, plugs or electronic muffs.
db

Maybe its me, but I never use hearing protection when afield.
rolleyes.gif
I might add, however, that I do not shoot braked rifles either.

Only exception is when I set up a bench and pound groundhogs all day with the bigger cartridges.

I always use hearing protection when at the range, regardless of what I'm shooting.

QUESTION: Do you guys with the braked rifles use hearing protection when hunting biggame?

Yes, I wear a set of earplugs around my neck, tucked into the collar of my shirt. For range work I wear more serious protection.

I agree with Len. I always have a set of pulgs around my neck and can quickly insert them before taking aim. If I'm in a stand or a fixed location, I use my Peltor Tac 7 muffs. They more than double sound and in stereo too.
db

Like Len I ware a set of plugs around my neck and put them in before the shot...Thats the plan anyway.
Was doggin last summer with the Ruger VT in 223,the AR,8twist 22-250 and the 50BMG.I use the Ruger VT most,with its 26" barrel and low velosity loads I find ear plugs are optional.I had taken the ear plugs out while shootin the VT so I could converse with the other two shooters when a good shot for the 50 BMG presented itself.What happened next was just plain stupid and a total brain fart on my part!!I warned the others I was gona pull the trigger on Boomer but forgot or thought I had mine out(I ware ear plugs at work and already have some hearing loss,to the tune of 75% on the high tones)When I pulled the triger I thought my head was gona expload and my ears rang even louder(lost another 5% over that lose of attention).
Now the 50 is an extreame example but one that does permenant damage as do most magnums with a break,hell even the 20"AR barrel in 223 will do damage.
To stay on topic here my advice to the main question is to first realize that brake or no brake that RUM is gona damage your hearing without wareing some kind of protection so a brake is a good option to reduce recoil.On my 7mag I found a better recoil pad was enough to get'r done.
The 50BMG on the other had needs the full package.
#1A good reciol pad
#2extra weight
#3a brake and a good one!!
#4mucury recoil reducers in the stock.There was room for two in the stock so it got two!!
#5 I even made a front rest that is very heavy that bolts to the gun

The brake I use on my 300 RUM is desighned so the gases leaving the muzzle and brake are still traveling away from the shooter. It does increase the noise a measuable amount but not a discernable amout to the shooter. It also does not hammer anybody beside me at the range. I also use hearing protection at the range and I dont worry about the one or 2 shots I fire during the season. I could also imagine while setting up for a LR shot on game plugging my ears with some plugs.

Thanks for the tip about the plugs around the neck---I'll try it! I usually wear a set of Pro Ears Stalker while in the field but occasionally I don't.

How about taming the recoil though?

Thanks, Pat S.

db,

How do you pipe in the music?
wink.gif

The first time I hunted with a new (mag-na-ported) Ruger SRH in 454 Casuall I wore plugs, on a neck band, around my neck so that they would be right there when I needed them. I was a bit apprehensive of firing that gun even once without hearing protection.

As it turned out, once I got within range of the game, I was concentrating so hard on making a good shot that I forgot to put the plugs in. Fortunately, it did not cause a noticeable problem. I would imagine that a braked, magnum rifle would not allow you to make that mistake without consequences.

VH

[ 11-13-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

VH,

Actually these muffs have the option of radio use. You can even hook them up to a two way. I know what you mean by focusing on the shot, but your ears are still being assulted by the sound it's your brain that is ignoring it. Gunfire can damage your hearing, no reason to have that happen.

db

Pat I have a KDF brake on my LSS in 7mm Mag it knocked off half the recoil no BS it feels like a 243 now it is very effective. Muzzle blast and noise went up considerbly its kind of a trade off. I use the roll up ear plugs and muffs at the range. I don't use anything in the field 1 or 2 shots won't kill you.

I've got a 7mm mag with a brake on it. A few years ago I shot 5 coyote with it all in a row..... without ear plugs. Ever since that day, it's sat in the corner of my room collecting dust. **** thing is just too loud too shoot without plugs and I don't hunt with plugs. I remember thinking to myself at about the third shot, "****, that hurts." It was a different feeling, one that actually hurt your ear drum, down deep. It's a lot louder than a non-braked 7mm RAU.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.