Taming Muzzle Jump

geo4061

My 270 really bucks when shooting prone with a bipod and rear bag. I know a brake would cure this,however, I would like to leave it as is. I shoot with my left hand holding the rear bag. Is there a better way? Have you found a different hold that helps tame the jump? Thanks

Load the bipod. Or try something slippery like a plastic or metal sheet under the bipod to let it slide with recoil.

A lot of the reason for muzzle clime is the type and shape of the stock in relation to the center line of the barrel.

If the top of the recoil pad is lower than the barrel center line,it will rise more than a stock with the recoil pad that is higher.

Also small barrel contours are bad about muzzle rise, especially if it has a classic type stock (Straight and normally much lower than the barrel center line).

Lighter bullets will also help.

Just some of the reasons for your problem.

J E CUSTOM

Exactly. Then you have that classic Weatherby slanted butt profile and you suddenly know where the term "scope eye" originated. These rifle stocks are designed to rise and take some of the reward thrust off your shoulder. Seems you need to shoot a classic hunting rifle in a little more old school than the tacky cool don't touch nothin but the grip method.

Attachments

• Weatherby_Vanguard_Series_II.jpg
    Weatherby_Vanguard_Series_II.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 91
I am impressed. You gentlemen hit the nail on the head. I will check out American Rifleman. What " Old School " shooting technique do ya'll use?

My 270 really bucks when shooting prone with a bipod and rear bag. I know a brake would cure this,however, I would like to leave it as is. I shoot with my left hand holding the rear bag. Is there a better way? Have you found a different hold that helps tame the jump? Thanks

There's a few SH video on youtube about it ...

Barrelnut your the man. That article was exactly what I was hoping to find. I can not wait to try his advice. I will let you know what happens. Have you tried his suggestions? Thanks!

A lot of the reason for muzzle clime is the type and shape of the stock in relation to the center line of the barrel.

If the top of the recoil pad is lower than the barrel center line,it will rise more than a stock with the recoil pad that is higher.

Also small barrel contours are bad about muzzle rise, especially if it has a classic type stock (Straight and normally much lower than the barrel center line).

Lighter bullets will also help.

Just some of the reasons for your problem.

J E CUSTOM

JE, you stole my thoughts!

few stocks are cut to correct muzzle climb, but are set up for a scope sight picture. Imagine a centerline going down the bore. Now look at the butt end of the stock. Is it square with the centerline? How far below the center line is it?

The world of shotguns seems to be where the best stock fitters reside. Of course they're after swing and climb first. With rifles most folks only seem to be concerned with the trigger pull length these days. That's just the start. Wish Tom Merideth would write a book on stock fitting and shapes. He is by a long ways the best stock maker in N. America.
gary

Well, I could not wait to try the recommendations in the American Rifleman. I can shoot 50 yards out the back door. I pulled out my 243( also has quite a bit of muzzle jump)with bipod and rear bag. Leaned into the rifle,light downward pressure on scope, light cheek pressure and squeezed off three shots. WOW. Shot a .189 the first time I ever tried this. Can't get too excited only 50 yards. It cut the jump about 50%. Can not wait to try it again at 100. If ya'll have not tried this give it a whirl. Please post what you find. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.