ELD-X bullets ( Jump or No Jump to the lands?).

Brianc74

So what are people finding out on where these bullets like to sit. Are we finding out that they like some jump? A lot of jump? Or jammed into the rifling. I am going to be trying them in my 300 WSM. Will be trying the 200 and 212 ELD-X bullets this wkend. My sh Amber was set up for these 2 bullets and Berger 215 Hybrids.

Brian

I'll be starting with my typical jump of .025"-.030" when working with a new bullet, also loading the 200's and 212's in a 300 WSM

the random .025" seating depth I used with the 212's in my 300 LRH showed some good accuracy.

Attachments

• 212 gr ELD-X & RL33-b.jpg
    212 gr ELD-X & RL33-b.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,038
Hoping to test these myself this week. I just picked up 200 of the 200gr .308s and will be working up loads for my 300 WM, (replacing my current 210gr Berger VLDH over 71.5 gr MagPro), and .308 Win, (replacing 190gr SMK over 41.9gr IMR 4064). Both existing loads produce sub 1/4 MOA groups @100yds, but I'm hoping to improve long range consistency, as well as develop a suitable heavy dual purpose round for the .308.

OAL shouldn't be an issue for the 300 WM in my Rem 700, but I am a little concerned with the .308 being a magazine fed LR/SR platform.

I've been shooting 200gr ELD-X in a 30-338mag (338mag neck to 30cal) ,70.5gr/H-4831sc @ 2969 with 26" Lilja barrel. I'm .040" off the lands and 3 shot groups just little under 1/2" @ 100yds. Now that our weather getting better I'll be getting to range more often and what little I've done past 100yds has show promise.

I've also got some 212gr.

I have been shooting the 143's in my 6.5SS and they seem to be more forgiving than the Berger vld's. Although I have not settled on a depth yet, I have shot good groups at .010", .030" and .060" off the lands......Rich

hornady pills do not really seem to care about jump. My least jumped hornady is a 165 grain fb in my 300win @ ten thou. jump. My most jumped hornady is my 7rum's 175grain flat base bullets @ 1/2 inch jump (roughly- who cares about thousandths at that point.

As to the eld-x pills, I'm blowing them out of my 300rum at mag length-- 3.650"... should be about 150 thou. jump-- haven't measured and really don't care. They shoot 1/2 moa so far pushed by Retumbo. I'm running another box or two through the rifle before I load any decent amount up though.

I've loaded some 200 grain ELD-X in my rem 700 .308 and had the same problem as rescurat in that the magazine system limited my OAL. I had to keep them at 2.850 OAL to get them to feed well. I did load some up longer and they shot better but I would have to load each round into the chamber one at a time.

First test w/ 200 ELD-x shows they do not like to be kissing the lands in my 30-06.

I will be using bergers method of finding a good depth to get them to shoot.

I have been shooting the 143's in my 6.5SS and they seem to be more forgiving than the Berger vld's. Although I have not settled on a depth yet, I have shot good groups at .010", .030" and .060" off the lands......Rich

Hey Rich, did you see much difference in accuracy/velocity at those different distances from the lands?

Hey Rich, did you see much difference in accuracy/velocity at those different distances from the lands?

Well, there is always SOME difference in just about any bullet, but they have shot pretty well over a whole range of jump. I have seen vld's go from literally from 2 inch groups to .2's with the proper jump (or lack of) but the eldx is MUCH more forgiving. I am jumping mine about .010" right now because they shoot well there and I also need the space for a full charge of H1000. I shot .o's and .1's with it so that's good enough for this old redneck:D......Rich

The forgiving comment matches Hornady's. I've shot them at .010" and was planning on adjusting that depth. I'm shooting these in a 6.5 WSM with a very expensive carbon barrel and want to keep shot count to a minimum. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth moving as far as .050" out "just to see". Initial experience at .010" off is good.

I've got a .22 Creedmoor I'm shooting 77 grain TMK's in at .010" off as well. I'm going to play with that, too, but I don't care if I burn out that barrel. LOL

The forgiving comment matches Hornady's. I've shot them at .010" and was planning on adjusting that depth. I'm shooting these in a 6.5 WSM with a very expensive carbon barrel and want to keep shot count to a minimum. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth moving as far as .050" out "just to see". Initial experience at .010" off is good.

I've got a .22 Creedmoor I'm shooting 77 grain TMK's in at .010" off as well. I'm going to play with that, too, but I don't care if I burn out that barrel. LOL

Ya, then you could turn the Creedmoor into an SS:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.