7mm RUM

Deerhntr71

Is the 7mm RUM dying off? I have a Remington 700 SPS, never been out of the box, was thinking of trading it for a Winchester .264 Win Mag in a Model 70. Any thoughts?

The 7 RUM is not dying off...just not as popular as the others in the RUM family. The fact that the barrel wear is faster with the 7 RUM makes it the least popular or at least that's my thought. I love shooting mine. Don't get rid of it. Shoot the heck out of it until the barrel is wore out and then you can turn it into just about any custom you want. Especially here in ND, sometimes it's along ways to the target!! :D

Is the 7mm RUM dying off? I have a Remington 700 SPS, never been out of the box, was thinking of trading it for a Winchester .264 Win Mag in a Model 70. Any thoughts?
Yep, short bbl. life compared to even the stw and finicky accuracy in some rifles have hurt it a good bit. The recoil and powder usage are up a good bit too for a 7mm. The 7rum is still a good round and I'm thinking of building/ buying another, but I'm pretty sure it is going dodo bird.

I hope either the stw or 7rum makes a comeback; you DO need a big 7mm here once in a while... shoot the heck out of your rifle but keep the bbl. cool.

Where are you in N.D., btw?? I'm in Bis..

Probably just the opposite , the guys that like the big 7mm bullets (175s and 180s) love them because they can hustle the 180s like no other factory cartridge.

They are hard on barrels if you shoot the 140 class bullets at over 3500 ft/sec , but they hold up well at the lower velocities of the heavy bullets as long as you don't over heat the barrel with rapid fire strings.

With the BCs in the .650s and .675s it realy lends itself to long range shooting with the 7mm.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.